Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

New Brakes Needed, Recommendations?

I will be changing all the brakes on my 1994 E34 soon. What would you guys recommend? I don't race the car, or track the car, it's my 2nd car for summer only. I don't want to have noisy brakes, or pads that leave lots of dust on my rims. Should i just stick with new OEM rotors & pads? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gsbadbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Justin6745
1st Gear Newbie

I actually bought my full brake rotor and pad replacement from the BMW dealer.
Ask for package pricing, it's the special price that they give when you get a full brake overhaul done at the dealer, except I told them that I will do it myself. So I got the parts at almost if not more than 50% off.
The original price for a front rotor was around $200 and I got them for $90. Same story with rear rotors and the pads. All in I spent $500 and an afternoon to replace them.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
MaxVQ
1st Gear Newbie

On my E39 I use Brembo rotors and Akebono Euro Pads. The pads have 90% the feel of OEM with 1% dust. I love them...
MaxVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys for the responses!

There is also this kit here, for $369 with the %15 discount. It looks to be a great price for decent quality stuff!

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...kebono_Brembo_
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbadbmr View Post
Thanks guys for the responses!

There is also this kit here, for $369 with the %15 discount. It looks to be a great price for decent quality stuff!

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...kebono_Brembo_
Pardon me but...fcpgroton should never be assosiated with quality parts... .

+1 for Akebono Euro Pads with any rotors that you can afford. If you don't want the hub area of the rotor to rust the secret is to buy the "coated" rotors, cost a little more tho. I find the PRB Ceramic pads pretty good as well.

Buying rotors from fcpgroton or any other supplier state side is not worth it, the weight make it too expensive to ship unless you get free shipping to Niagara Falls or Buffalo then go get em. Go to www.autopartsway.ca the prices with free shipping is faster and cost less in the long run. They have Akebono pads as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Pardon me but...fcpgroton should never be assosiated with quality parts... .

+1 for Akebono Euro Pads with any rotors that you can afford. If you don't want the hub area of the rotor to rust the secret is to buy the "coated" rotors, cost a little more tho. I find the PRB Ceramic pads pretty good as well.

Buying rotors from fcpgroton or any other supplier state side is not worth it, the weight make it too expensive to ship unless you get free shipping to Niagara Falls or Buffalo then go get em. Go to www.autopartsway.ca the prices with free shipping is faster and cost less in the long run. They have Akebono pads as well.
Hi MLue1!

If you were to do buy a brake package, what would you buy for your car? I don't race my car, or track it. I also want pads that don't make a lot of dust...because i have big deep dish wheels .

What's up with these Cadmium plated rotors...are they any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260850036593...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbadbmr View Post
Hi MLue1!

If you were to do buy a brake package, what would you buy for your car? I don't race my car, or track it. I also want pads that don't make a lot of dust...because i have big deep dish wheels .

What's up with these Cadmium plated rotors...are they any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260850036593...84.m1438.l2649
The Akebono Euro Ceramics have been good for me, they are low dust but have a different feel from the BMW pads. The BMW pads have great initial "bite" but they dust pretty bad. The Akebonos are linear in feel without the initial "bite", if you're a trail braker you will like the feel. In extreme cold weather, while not alarming they perform better once you get a bit of temperature in them.

Which ever brake setup you get, the secret to great brake performance is the "bedding-in" process, it helps to "marry" the pads and rotors so they work better togeather.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I've never used those eBay rotors so I can't comment on them; the cadmium is just a coating to prevent the rusting around the hub.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
gsbadbmr
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks for all the help. I think i know what i'm going to buy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: