Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #61
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Well it just so happens that's where my next contract is. I'm hoping some good things will come of it. They have some sweet new facilities.
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #62
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_s89 View Post
Well it just so happens that's where my next contract is. I'm hoping some good things will come of it. They have some sweet new facilities.
When you said Michigan that's what I figured. I got a tour of their facilities about 7 years ago and got to see some pretty sweet stuff. I'd definitely like to go back there now to check it out. Working there would be alright too
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #63
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

A couple more pics....

When I was in the shop yesterday I turned down the pulley adaptor from the M52 crank to make the oil spacer needed. I also squared up the inside of the cam gear for my attempt at a DIY adjustable cam gear (still needs to be deburred).

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #64
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
When you said Michigan that's what I figured. I got a tour of their facilities about 7 years ago and got to see some pretty sweet stuff. I'd definitely like to go back there now to check it out. Working there would be alright too
They definitely build some cool stuff, and they have been expanding like crazy since Linamar bought them. If you are ever in the area let me know Id be glad to show you around.

Your build is inspiring, keep it up!
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #65
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Flywheel updates:

I just weighed it and it came in at 15lbs. This was my first attempt at lightening a flywheel so I was conservative with how much material I removed. I definitely know where the other pounds can be removed next time around. However for now I'm happy with a 21% weight reduction.

The flywheel and pressure plate are going to get balanced with the crank this evening.

Ask my brother. He lightened and modded my M20 euro wheel to 11lbs. Also, he made his own flywheel for his RX-7 which was pretty ****ing tits.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #66
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Ask my brother. He lightened and modded my M20 euro wheel to 11lbs. Also, he made his own flywheel for his RX-7 which was pretty ****ing tits.
I was talking to him about it the other day actually.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #67
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Small update

I picked up the crank and flywheel from balancing on Friday.
Here is the flywheel and pressure plate. They didn't need too much. You can see a little bit was ground off the edge of the pressure plate and there's one small hole that was drilled into the flywheel.

Here's the crank...

This is what the one end took...

This is what the other end took...

Looking back on when I was machining the crank, when I put the chamfers on the counterweights I just did it by eye because I figured it was just for added clearance and wasn't that critical. However in retrospect I should have measured and made sure all the chamfers were equal because in the end it affects the balance of the crank.

I also got the lasercut for the cam gear however it still needs to be machined.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #68
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I painted the block and valve cover this afternoon. I used VHT low gloss black engine enamel for the block and VHT wrinkle red (Ferrari stlye) for the valve cover

Block scrubbed and wiped down...

After first coat...

After final coat...

This was right after I sprayed the valve cover, I'll have to wait a few hours to see how the wrinkle turns out. Once it's cured I'm going to sand the paint off the raised parts of the valve cover to give it a nice machined aluminum look...

All the parts I need to start assembling the motor have been ordered. I hope to have them within the next couple weeks. My goal now is to have the motor swapped and broken in before the first midnight cruise.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #69
BMe30
all by chance...

Awesome!

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #70
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I went out this morning to check on my wrinkle...

Oh how sweet the wrinkle is...

Things are starting to come together, I can't wait to start assembling this thing...

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #71
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
I'm loving this thread man, the progress is great.

I wanted to ask if you had planned on honing the block or not, and reusing the rings? I did a quick search through the thread and didn't see anything about these things.

I'm working on my stroker and can't decide to go for new rings, or oversize with custom pistons and rings. I guess it will depend on how the bores measure out. I don't want the extra expense of pistons if the cylinders aren't egged.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #72
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
I'm loving this thread man, the progress is great.

I wanted to ask if you had planned on honing the block or not, and reusing the rings? I did a quick search through the thread and didn't see anything about these things.

I'm working on my stroker and can't decide to go for new rings, or oversize with custom pistons and rings. I guess it will depend on how the bores measure out. I don't want the extra expense of pistons if the cylinders aren't egged.
I know, the cost of a set of oversized pistons increases the cost of the project substantially... at that point you might as well get a set of custom pistons for a couple hundred bucks more.

I'd say you should use new rings at a bare minimum. Depending on how the bores and the cross hatch look I've heard of some people getting away with just putting in new rings. I asked the machine shop to deglaze my bores. They pretty much just quickly run through one of those spring loaded 3 stone tools or a flex hone brush to remove any light scuffing and freshen up the cross hatch.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-11-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #73
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Every single m20 I've pulled apart the bores were amazing, with hatching still visible. The only thing that the bottom ends usually need are bearings, you might as well get new rings also new bearings would be good - just make sure you get the right style/size.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #74
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Small update

This arrived in the mail yesterday...

Building...and yes I used Jenga blocks to prop up the board while I was inserting the components with the long leads. Then I put that piece of Styrofoam from a ground beef package on top to hold the components in place while I flipped the board over. Then I soldered and trimmed the leads. A good bit of precision engineering really...

Between last night and this evening I got the kit built, I just need to get some vacuum line for the map sensor, load the firmware and maps and then (hopefully) fire up the car

I also buffed the valve cover today, I'm happy with the way it turned out...

My mom would probably tell me I need to iron my valve cover...

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #75
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Nice! I really like the way the valve cover came out in red. Good work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: