Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Montreal Vinyl Wrapping - Photos and information

Hello everyone,

I decided to make a dedicated thread detailing my vinyl wrapping work with, but not limited to, BMW's in the Montreal area.

I'll be posting photos in regards to FAQ I receive such as information pertaining to vinyl's weathering capabilities, the different colours and varieties of vinyl available to the automotive market and of course, photos of customers cars that I deal with!

So if you're in the Montreal, Ottawa area and are interested in some Vinyl wrap for your chrome trim, interior trim, or full car, please don't hesitate to contact me! I'll also post your photos (at your discretion) on the forum as well as my website for customers to see!

For more information and customer photos, check out my website - www.nelsonmx.com

Check back soon to see our featured photos of a fully wrapped E92, C2S and C63 Photos to come!

Last edited by MarkyNels; 02-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.
MarkyNels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

I'm going to start by answering a few questions that I've received over the last week..

Question; Does the carbon fibre 3M vinyl REALLY resemble carbon, or will it look cheesy for interior trim?

Answer; A lot of people ask me to cover their interior trim with carbon fibre vinyl – had this been 2 years ago when Di-Noc was the craze, I would have frowned upon the idea, but nowadays its virtually impossible to tell the difference.. One of the biggest issues with Di-noc is that it required a catalyst / adhesive spray to adhere to heavy curvatures, often ruining the piece underneath - this is no longer the case with 3m's new product line!

If you know about our company’s background, we have been dealing with composites for some 30 odd years, and so we’ve had our fair share of interaction with the “real-deal”. But when it comes down to vinyl, 3M has definitely got something going..

This picture speaks for itself. Of course understand that under different light conditions you will notice a bit of variation, but for the price, you simply can’t go wrong!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Question; Is it reversible? If I remove the vinyl for whatever reason, will it damage my paint or leave a gooey, pain in the ass residue??

Answer: NOPE

This stuff is quite simply amazing. Even at 45 degrees celsius, you won't have a hitch peeling this stuff off. There is no residue leftover, nor does it damage the paint in any way. Quite simply put, vinyl is a two tiered process - it enables a relatively inexpensive way to change the color of your car, AND it provides long lasting and durable protection, even throughout the harsh winter.

This is after 6 months of use - Fall, mid winter and up until now.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

2008 128i

Chrome window trim delete - matte black 3m 1080

Eyelid wrap - matte black 3m 1080

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Vinyl roof - 3m 1080 matte black

Sun roof enclosure - Note no waves, bunches or rough edges.

I always wrap material underneath the window trim. Gives a cleaner look, and prevents any lifting etc for a longer lasting finish.

Vinyl kidneys - 3m 1080 matte black

Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Redid the trim on this 325i from brushed silver to matte black.

Looked at doing the gloss to match the piano black trim in the newer model BMW's Benz's but the matte finish catered to the centre console's already matte finish.

Did this in situ, and so no removal was necessary.. Means no extra bunching of material behind to prevent from fitting like OEM!

More pictures here.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

2006 330i

Exterior - window chrome moulding to matte black
Interior - door sills, dash trim, center console to carbon fibre

Before ;

After;

Interior

Before;

After;

I think it made a big difference overall, and i truly hope Oliver enjoys it! He has some big plans coming up for this spring that I'd like to help tackle!

See the rest of the photos here
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

That looks pretty good. Do you sell just the vinyl? If so, what's your price for the 1080 Dark Grey (the matte one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
looks cool, do you do entire cars?? always wondered what wrapping my e30 would cost.. any rough estimate?

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
cormier
6th Gear Member

pretty cool -- how much would something like the e46 interior cost?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the comments everyone!

All PM's sent
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

I wonder... could I wrap my E30 instead of repainting it???
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.ZED View Post
I wonder... could I wrap my E30 instead of repainting it???
Absolutely.

The only thing I caution here is that - if it's primed, make sure it has been wet sanded down to near perfection. If there are any imperfections in the paint, it will be picked up by the vinyl (Matte, not so much and rarely shows imperfections, the same is not true for gloss however).

So if the surface is 99.9%, and you're happy with it, it can be wrapped. Sticks to primer without an issue.

If you check out my website, there is a photo of a 2001 Prelude roof, done in gloss. That roof was primed.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

price to wrap a e46 hood in CF ?
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
MarkyNels
1st Gear Newbie

PM'ed.

Just for reference. Carbon fibre wrapping will be more costly overall, as the material is nearly twice the price of standard vinyl..

A lot of people are deterred by the price, and so i figured i'd throw that out there. Anyone looking to DIY, just be aware that material costs ARE high, and that messing up often means unnecessary expenses :S

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: