Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Act of Valor

Just came back from it - HOLY CRAP...

I don't give a rat's ass by those who will comment on US propaganda crap and all that, go sit under your bed with tin foil on your head...

It's a killer movie - scenes that are just insane. Real active duty Navy SEAL's that aren't even credited in the movie (you can tell when it's them "acting" but that's not really the point of the movie).

No fake military shit here - all real military tech is used.

Just insane - Loved it...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Is this the one with Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Huh?? No...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591479/

really quite different then any other military movie I've seen...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

saw it aswell, if you like action movies you will definietly love this movie!

if "tears of the sun" and "black hawk down" are in your top 100, prepare to make space for another one.

really enjoyed all the tactical aspects of the assaults the seal teams did and really enjoyed the first person views in the movie. Sometimes felt i was with them clearing buildings, pretty cool experience.

Now is it army propaganda bull shit? possibly, i mean i can imagine this movie will generate some enlistments. But whats so bad about that? government secretly funding an action movie noone is forcing to watch? that ended up getting terrible views? and is not even being pounded on us by advertisments?

I say if movies are going to brain wash you with product placement and subliminal advertising in movies, plus disney movies having sublimnal messages like "take your clothes off little girl" in aladdin. let the US government fund a movie about marines and navy seals.

This movies plot was meh, but action was great and gives you an inside look on how covert op missions are.

thumbs way up.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

LOL..

How can you even put Black Hawk Down on the same sentence as Tears of the Sun................................

Since Black Hawk Down, every war movie has TRIED to copy it. Every movie with any war scenes tries to copy it. Every war movie that shows off US military might tries to copy the acting/cool persona that the characters on Black Hawk Down put on.

And guess what...

THEY ALL FAILED... Except Black Hawk Down, which continues to be one of the best military movies to ever be created.

The reason? Because unlike other movies, Black Hawk Down's script wasn't created with all that macho mumbo jumbo bullshit to show off how cool it is to be an elite fighting unit, doesn't make it seem cool, and isn't full of all those annoying/retarded one liners you find in every other combat film.

The "bad ass" colonels and sergeants on Black Hawk Down ****ing nail it, and they should because they were representing the real deal.

Now I dont know how Act of Valor plays on the big screen, but I do know its score on Rotten Tomatoes.... 28%... compared to Black Hawk Downs 76%.......

Last edited by sirex; 02-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Lol - cuz sirex knows what's it like to be in the military. What ever dude - the movie rocks.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Lol - cuz sirex knows what's it like to be in the military. What ever dude - the movie rocks.
LOL because I know the difference between good acting and bad acting? Between what someone would actually say in real life and between the garbage scripts from Hollywood?

Stats speak for themselves.

I haven't even seen Act of Valor, but from what I'm reading its like a bunch of people just played Call of Duty and said "Damn wouldn't it be cool to see this in real life?"

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. Act of Valor is a good candidate for download though. This thread pretty much answered the question "would I pay to see this movie?," and honestly if you think Tears of Sun competes against Black Hawk Down, the answer is Dont pay. Lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Everything they say in this movie is real life - read how this movie came to be and you'll see. The SEALs got upset that the "actors" weren't portraying them accurately and took over. Are they actors? no - Can you tell when it's them? yea - does it matter since this is all about what it's like to be a SEAL? not one freakin' bit.

This is the first time something like this has been done and it raises the realism for sure.

This is on par for some of the best - black hawk included.

I never said anything about tears of the sun...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Cool, will check it out once the blu ray is ripped.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
cormier
6th Gear Member

Lol have to check this one out for sure -- black hawk down and tears
of the sun are definitely high on my list

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
aspen540
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Everything they say in this movie is real life - read how this movie came to be and you'll see. The SEALs got upset that the "actors" weren't portraying them accurately and took over. Are they actors? no - Can you tell when it's them? yea - does it matter since this is all about what it's like to be a SEAL? not one freakin' bit.

This is the first time something like this has been done and it raises the realism for sure.

This is on par for some of the best - black hawk included.

I never said anything about tears of the sun...
Wow the seals got upset that the actors weren't portraying them properly and they just toke over. Now the whole movie is marketed around this premise. Sound real to me. Not. "Act of Valour" more like "Act of Corporatism".
aspen540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

lol @ downplaying propaganda like it doesnt exist.

that said its probably good for action stuff...but i heard the acting and story is just downright terrible.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
He knows everything under the sun, haven't you learned that yet?

As for the movie, haven't seen it myself yet but a friend based out of pet. commented via FB that they've finally got one close to being accurate in regards to the life of an assaulter. I'll go with his review rather than sirex, the only wars he wages are in the OT battle ground.

Last edited by calegrant; 02-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
He knows everything under the sun, haven't you learned that yet?

As for the movie, haven't seen it myself yet but a friend based out of pet. commented via FB that they've finally got one close to being accurate in regards to the life of an assaulter. I'll go with his review rather than sirex, the only wars he wages are in the OT battle ground.

LOL wow dude, you're a tool, that also can't read.

I didn't realize you go to the movies to just see Battlefield/Call of Duty.... You know, that thing called acting and story is also part of a movie..

But ya, hooora, your army buddy sure knows what it takes to make a good movie AMIRIGHT? He sure is a top movie critic...... Unlike Globe and Mail, and all the other hundreds of notable reviewers that threw this movie under the bus..

Were all of his buddies also jumping up and down in the theatre screaming at the top of their lungs when the general put on the flight of the valkeries while the choppers swooped in gunning the vietnamese village?

Incase you dont catch my joke, Jarhead/apocalypse now..

lol pretty funny shit. wish there was a torrent out so i could download this.

and to be honest i do feel like waging war on the ot section at the moment, specially with you.

Last edited by sirex; 02-25-2012 at 05:36 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
calegrant
6th Gear Member

I was merely stating that it appears as though it's a reasonable depiction of the real deal, and you seem to be dead-set that it's a bad movie and that Black Hawk Down was great because of it's realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
The "bad ass" colonels and sergeants on Black Hawk Down ****ing nail it, and they should because they were representing the real deal.
You're seem as though you're trying to critique the authenticity of a movie you have not only never seen, but have no experience with the subject.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: