Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #46
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Careless 7, sorry to correct you, but Apple isn't even close to the biggest company in the world. It doesn't matter which way you turn it, Apple is not the highest in profit or revenues. Looking at equity it is pointless as that is driven by ability to raise funds and that is based on offerings to the public and effectively diluting shareholder control and hence not a useful measure of a company's size.
In fact, Apple is #111 in the world when it comes to revenues, higher when it comes to profitability given that Apple has a 21.4% profit margin. But then again, Microsoft is still better at 30% profit margin. As far as size, most auto manufacturers, large retailers, financial institutions and major drug/pharmaceutical companies are far larger with market capitalization of multiples of Apple.

Anyway, not trying to stirr up anything, but you guys should really take a look at the world's largest corporations, you would be surprised who's up there and then you can talk about who is doing good/bad.

Companies that have multiple hundred million dollars coming through the door annually hold so much power that it's head-spinning. Instead of focussing on Apple for "not paying workers enough" based on what we feel is enough, maybe we should look at companies like Exxon, Shell, BP who are damaging the planet far more and impact exponentially more people then say a comany like Apple who may be wronging tens of thousands through "claimed" sweatshop etc, that last BP oil spill is exected to impact our environment for years, yet that story got shushed within the month that they fixed the rupture they created in the mexican gulf.

Everyone has the right to make their own claim and state wrongs that are being done, and just like previously mentioned, the irony is sad, but put yourself in their shoes, would you do anything different, would you change your ways if you had what they had? if so, speak loud and proud and make your case be known, if you wouldn't, stop being a hypocrite. I have several apple products, just like I have Nike shoes, both companies accused of running sweatshops, I don't go crying about it, am I wrong? No, because even though the western world is clearly taking full advantage of their ability to use and abuse those workers, it would probably be the same way if it was the other way around. Just my 2 cents.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
Careless 7, sorry to correct you, but Apple isn't even close to the biggest company in the world. It doesn't matter which way you turn it, Apple is not the highest in profit or revenues. Looking at equity it is pointless as that is driven by ability to raise funds and that is based on offerings to the public and effectively diluting shareholder control and hence not a useful measure of a company's size.
In fact, Apple is #111 in the world when it comes to revenues, higher when it comes to profitability given that Apple has a 21.4% profit margin. But then again, Microsoft is still better at 30% profit margin. As far as size, most auto manufacturers, large retailers, financial institutions and major drug/pharmaceutical companies are far larger with market capitalization of multiples of Apple.
Dude, what are you talking about AAPL is the largest company by market cap.

Quote:
Anyway, not trying to stirr up anything, but you guys should really take a look at the world's largest corporations, you would be surprised who's up there and then you can talk about who is doing good/bad.

Companies that have multiple hundred million dollars coming through the door annually hold so much power that it's head-spinning. Instead of focussing on Apple for "not paying workers enough" based on what we feel is enough, maybe we should look at companies like Exxon, Shell, BP who are damaging the planet far more and impact exponentially more people then say a comany like Apple who may be wronging tens of thousands through "claimed" sweatshop etc, that last BP oil spill is exected to impact our environment for years, yet that story got shushed within the month that they fixed the rupture they created in the mexican gulf.
Are you kidding? AAPL has the largest cash reserve of any corporation. Wronging 10's of thousands? Not sure I see the connection you are making.. Exxon makes oil.... SLW makes silver....... AAPL makes Iphones, can you guess what supplies AAPL buys a shit ton of to make its Iphones and then deliver them around the world??????

Quote:
Everyone has the right to make their own claim and state wrongs that are being done, and just like previously mentioned, the irony is sad, but put yourself in their shoes, would you do anything different, would you change your ways if you had what they had? if so, speak loud and proud and make your case be known, if you wouldn't, stop being a hypocrite. I have several apple products, just like I have Nike shoes, both companies accused of running sweatshops, I don't go crying about it, am I wrong? No, because even though the western world is clearly taking full advantage of their ability to use and abuse those workers, it would probably be the same way if it was the other way around. Just my 2 cents.
Just because it is "that way" doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean you should stand by it either. Would I do things differently? I don't know, but I am also not a cold blooded heartless monster that only cares about penny pinching and making the corporation rich. But hey, corporations exist to make lots and lots of profits - or so Im told....

Last edited by sirex; 02-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
Instead of focussing on Apple for "not paying workers enough" based on what we feel is enough, maybe we should look at companies like Exxon, Shell, BP who are damaging the planet far more and impact exponentially more people then say a comany like Apple who may be wronging tens of thousands through "claimed" sweatshop etc, that last BP oil spill is exected to impact our environment for years, yet that story got shushed within the month that they fixed the rupture they created in the mexican gulf.
BP trial is set for March 5.. I really hope they make an example out of them.. and by the way the only reason this is actually happen is because the spill moved towards the states. if it would have gone south towards Mexico no one will give a $hit..
Colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #49
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

-

cnn: Iphone factory struggles with suicides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ekA...eature=related

^
Quote:
Young workers move quickly from modern, clean dormitories to huge mess halls and then to their jobs on the assembly lines, making everything from Apple's iPad and iPhone, to Dell computers, and products for Hewlett Packard and Sony.

More than 300,000 people sleep, eat and work here. There are three hospitals, a fire station, supermarkets and restaurants all crammed on less than a square mile (2.3 square kilometers.)

But something here is not right -- an alarming number of workers have taken their lives or attempted suicide. So far this year, 10 people have committed suicide, while three others have tried, according to Foxconn, a Taiwanese firm and local authorities, and no one knows why.

"We're asking ourselves the same question," said company spokesman, Liu Kun. "Foxconn has never seen anything like this before in the past 20 years of operating on the mainland. We've checked the work records and couldn't find any direct link between the working conditions and the suicides."

While the number of suicides is below China's average rate of 14 per 100,000, according to the World Health Organization, it is enough to worry some of Foxconn's customers. Apple, Dell, Hewlett Packard and Sony have all ordered their own investigations.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #50
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Suicide rates 76% below the national average is alarming? Only you could spin the positive into something negative so easily with your fear mongering.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
bmdbley'sBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
Suicide rates 76% below the national average is alarming? Only you could spin the positive into something negative so easily with your fear mongering.
you are deranged. I did not make the video's, I do not own or run CNN
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #52
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
you are deranged. I did not make the video's, I do not own or run CNN
You propogate this type of bullshit through your posting of it though, so no I am not deranged. Would you have posted this had it been written with the message that Apple factory decreases suicide rate 76% over national average? Of course not, it wouldn't meet the qual's for your propganda bullshit posts.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #53
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
You propogate this type of bullshit through your posting of it though, so no I am not deranged. Would you have posted this had it been written with the message that Apple factory decreases suicide rate 76% over national average? Of course not, it wouldn't meet the qual's for your propganda bullshit posts.
lol, I guess you're missing the point if that is your counter argument.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
bmdbley'sBro

So....I'm a filthy 'Thought Criminal' that commits thought crimes according to you?

lets get off suicide then shall we..

how about apple in america subverting the justice system & peoples rights through their influence

Quote:
Expert: Invalid Warrant Used in Raid on iPhone Reporter’s Home

Police raided the house of an editor for Gizmodo on Friday and seized computers and other equipment. The raid was part of an investigation into the leak of a prototype iPhone that the site obtained for a blockbuster story last week. Now, a legal expert has raised questions about the legality of the warrant used in the raid.

On Friday, officers from California’s Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team in San Mateo, California, appeared at the home of Gizmodo editor Jason Chen while he was not there and broke open the front door.

Chen and his wife discovered the officers when they returned from dinner around 9:45 that evening. According to an account he posted online, Chen noticed his garage door was partly open, and when he tried to open it completely, officers came out and told him they had a warrant to search the premises. The warrant had been signed just hours earlier, at 7:00 p.m., by a San Mateo County Superior Court judge. It allowed the police to search Chen, his residence and any vehicle in his control.

The officers were in the process of cataloging the items they had already taken from the premises and told Chen they had been in his home a “few hours already.” According to California law, a search warrant may be served between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. unless otherwise authorized.

The officers told Chen he could request reimbursement for the damage to his front door.

Jennifer Granick, civil liberties director for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said Chen is protected from a warrant by both state and federal laws.

The federal Privacy Protection Act prohibits the government from seizing materials from journalists and others who possess material for the purpose of communicating to the public. The government cannot seize material from the journalist even if it’s investigating whether the person who possesses the material committed a crime by receiving or possessing the material,

which seems to be the nature of the investigation involving Chen.

Instead, investigators need to obtain a subpoena, which would allow the reporter or media outlet to challenge the request and segregate information that is not relevant to the investigation.

“Congress was contemplating a situation where someone might claim that the journalist was committing a crime [in order to seize materials from them],” Granick says.

California state law also provides protections to prevent journalists from being forced to disclose sources or unpublished information related to their work.

“California law is crystal clear that bloggers are journalists, too,” she says.

Apple is on the steering committee for the REACT task force that raided Chen’s house. Formed in 1997, REACT is a partnership of 17 local, state and federal agencies tasked with investigating computer- and internet-related crimes.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/iphone-raid/
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #55
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
So....I'm a filthy 'Thought Criminal' that commits thought crimes according to you?
If that's what you've concluded by my responses then you're an even bigger tool than I imagined, but no. I think you look for conspiracy and conflict where there is none to be found.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #56
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

BigD, Apple rips off most of their design, why aren't you mad about that?

Also, I stupidly quick-replied on the first page. I didn't mean to get in the middle of the usual off-topic forum tinfoil hat flamewar. No rage here, bro.

Last edited by nonlocal; 03-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #57
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Amazing video! Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #58
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Apple fanboys rarely post about the things Apple has knocked off. Truth is, they're just as guilty as the companies they go after, if not more.

BlackBerry was the first handheld to have push email, then Apple did it.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
Amazing video! Thank you for sharing!
Not really the topic of this thread, but if you found it interesting do go and watch the first three parts. Very very well done documentary and a manifesto for thinking children of the digital age...
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #60
sirex
King Sirex

thats because we cant look past our nose..

PALM, Microsoft, go back 10 years ago, look at their tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
BigD, Apple rips off most of their design, why aren't you mad about that?

Also, I stupidly quick-replied on the first page. I didn't mean to get in the middle of the usual off-topic forum tinfoil hat flamewar. No rage here, bro.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: