I have a 2009 BMW E91 Touring which is making a weird squeaking noise in the cargo area and I am almost certain is coming from the cargo cover. It is very hard to explain the sound, but is somewhere between the sound of plastic/rubber rubbing and popcorn.
- When itís in, the sound is there about 70% of the time. When I completely remove the cargo cover, I sometimes think I still hear it, but it might just me be going crazy. So it may actually be the cargo cover is severely increasing another noise.
- I have closed the retractable part of the cargo cover and it does not seem to make a difference. So itís not just the noise of it flapping around. I also close the wire mesh thing (dog gate?) and it didnít make a difference.
- I have detached the cargo cover from the car and left it loose in the back and it doesnít make the noise. So it seems to only happen when attached.
- I took some Velcro (the soft side) and put it around the part that attaches to the car. Sort of like DIY anti rattle tape. A little tight to put in and at first I thought it worked, but then the noise came back.
- I do have two baby seats in the back. Once, I was able to drive for a bit with the seats out, but the cover in and I think the sound was still there. So there is the chance the baby seats are making the cargo cover noisy somehow since there is the harness going into the back. Itís just so rare I can take them out for any length of time to confirm.
- I recently had a chance for my dad to drive the car and for me to sit in cargo area to diagnose the problem. It was hard to tell, but it almost seemed like it came from the vent that blows on the back window, but then it went away and my diagnosis ended.
The car is still under manufacturers and CPO warranty. Random rattles and noises are so hard to diagnose, I figure I should do as much detective work before I bring it in and see if they can fix it.
It is probably bothering me more than it should, but I canít help but want to fix it.
Any thoughts or suggestions?