Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Global MaXbimmer > Saskatchewan
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

Hahaha...I'm the only one here!!!

So yeah, I know there's a few nice bimmers out here in the prairies. Where you guys at?
Bryn
black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ OT question here... how do you like living there? Went to a job fair that saw alot of technical engineering jobs (Mechnical design, R&D) in saskatoon. usual questions such as, house pricing, summer/winter climate, nightlife, and is it fun living there? let me know. thanks
E36is is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
dave.a.cote
1st Gear Newbie

Hey,

I just bought my first bimmer - it is a 88 325 coupe. I plan on swapping the engine with a 24v some time within the next year.

E36is - I love it here. Speaking of engineering jobs, I have one of those. Winter is cold but livable - we don't really have any natural disasters or extreme weather so a cold winter is not a bad price to pay.

Dave
dave.a.cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

Congrats Dave...the E30 chassis is great for modifying, especially for engine swaps. I recommend doing an M50 inline 6 and turbocharging it with a top mount setup. I'd love to do one myself some day.

Ps I'm an engineer too!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
dave.a.cote
1st Gear Newbie

I have been trying to decide between something like a turbo M50 or a NA S52. It probably depends on parts availability. Getting any engine may be a trick around here so I will likely get one off ebay or r3v or something. If I am going to go through that hassle, I will probably try to make it an M3 engine.

Do you know of any good places in western Canada for parts?

Where do you work?

Dave
Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

bimmerparts.ca out of BC is a good place.

I'm at Prairie Machine & Parts, and you?

Any interest in supercharging? What's your engine building experience? Do you have a decent set up in your garage?

If you are looking for a second set of hands, I'd be interested!

Last edited by black bnr32; 10-16-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
DYMO
JDM soul

i considered a S52 swap. unless you got someone there who knows the engine and the chassis, its very expensive and time consuming. you'll spend more money and time waiting for parts and trying to swap it in than its worth. even here in toronto, it's an expensive swap. boosted M50's are cheaper and more power.
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
dave.a.cote
1st Gear Newbie

Ok, I sent them an email thanks for the link.

I work at Raum Energy doing the aerodynamic and mechanical design of our small wind turbines.

I have always been leaning towards a turbo but I wouldn't be opposed to a supercharger if I could find one that was not too expensive and I added a decent intercooler. It seems to me that superchargers are less common and more expensive than turbos but maybe I just don't know where to look.

On the Duster I just sold, I added a megasquirt multiport fuel injection setup to it which was fun. I liked the megasquirt system but I think adding VANOS control to it is out of my league.

As for a shop, I don't have a garage yet so I am always using the shop at my parents acreage.

Dave
Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
black bnr32
3rd Gear Member

Dave, start reading the bimmerforums.com FI section if you are serious about doing a forced induction project. You could take a look at my car too if you like.

Supercharged set ups are actually slightly cheaper and more commonthan turbos for BMWs, in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
Striker
Turbo Ready

You guys need more BMW's there, I can send a shipment
Welcome to the board guys, nice to see you guys participating and active in the forums.

Feel free to ask anyone for info or advice on the other sections of the board. Post pics and projects of your cars please.

Cheers,

Raph

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
JamesS
1st Gear Newbie

Bumping this thread for fun even though I don't have a beemer.
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Haas
1st Gear Newbie

New Member in SK

Hello Everyone,

I just found this site and I thought I would join. Especially because it's Canadian. Nice to see a Canadian forum for once.

I just got my first BMW. 08 335i sedan, white. Auto because my wife wanted to drive it too. Would have preferred the manual.

My previous ride was a 07 VW GTI 2.0T with the 6-speed manual. Loved the car but had to sell it because my new job provided a company vehicle. I couldn't justify keeping the GTI and the company vehicle. The GTI was a great car too and has some of the same feel as the 335i. Just missing the power.

Anyways, now a couple years later I decided to get my dealers license to start buying the cars I really want to drive.

I'm looking forward to reading up on the tech pages for performance upgrades and DIY maintenance procedures.

Thanks

Michael
Haas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: