Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Michel
6th Gear Member

Another Car Buying Opinion Thread

Hey guys,

To keep it short and sweet, I'm looking at buying a new(used) car this spring and I've got this list in mind - the budget is between 25-30k:

-MK6 GTI (finance rate is 4.9% on used?! ridiculous.)
-WRX or STI (bit over budget though)
-Mazdaspeed 3 (hate it, but open to try)
-135/335 (will likely have more mileage than the rest, but low finance rates)
-rx-8 (also hate it)
-Civic SI (2011 or older ONLY - love it but my brother has one already so I can drive one anytime..)

The main pre-requisite is that it must have useable rear seats (135 fails slightly here). No E46 m3's either.

My favorite so far is the GTI - but I will be test driving any car I can think of when the time comes.

What are your suggestions?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
usable rear = 4 doors.

Get a 335.

(personally i'd get a c300, they're in your range for 07-08)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Michel
6th Gear Member

^The GTI comes 4 door, but even the 2 dr is really roomy in the back.
I like the 335, but for my price range it'll have about 60-70k kms and will be in the inspection II range of repairs whereas something like a GTI will be relatively brand new and will have 5 yr warranty under vw pure (bimmer will likely have 2-3 only). But I guess Bimmersport is my version of extended warranty

No offence to Mercedes drivers, but I loathe those cars. They have no character imo, just all snob.

edit: anyone here work at VW that can help me (and take advantage of a likely easy sale?)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Well if you want fast and reliable, MS3 will do and it's roomie. The looks and feel aren't for everyone. I own one, it's just like I mentioned, but I do like the look. I test drived the RX-8 and it wasn't for me. My parents own a new Civic SI, it's kinda fun because it's small, but no room for anything, not to mention a lot slower then the MS3. VTech kicks in around 6k rpm, then ur at 8k and it's over. Boost for the MS3 is around 2,300 till 6k (then there's no more extra boost it's just done).
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

well the vw, the ms3, and the civic will probably be the best on gas.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

what about a E90 or E92 328i? u'll be able to get one with super low km
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

07/08 Volvo? They can be had manual, AWD and with the R package they look and drive amazingly. I love them and some of the most comfortible/supportive seats too. Can be had for mid to high 20's.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S4...1009132629848/

What else do you like? If you want really luxurious, the 08/09 XF's can be had for high 20's too, but they are all auto and maintenance isn't cheap. They look incredible though.
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/X...1119110435530/

Out of your choices, BMW aside, I would jump on a STI hatchback.

I also like the Infiniti M45. What about Jetta GLI's?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 02-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

As a ex-Mazda employee, the MS3 is a HUGE PIECE OF SHIT. Rust problems inside the doors, rear wheel arches, and suspension components ( Mazda refuses to fix this problem which started WAYYYYY back in 2003, they rather make dealer rust repairs with orange peel paint jobs , etc.) Engine burns oil rather easily ( 3 came in for NEW BLOCKS due to burning oil), issues with power steering lines, STILL, and general LACK of quality, like the base model FELT carpets, hard plastics, but massive sticker price.

MS6 , same issue, RUST and Engine issues but atleast the interior is less plastic and it has awd.

I would not touch that rust bucket with a ten foot pole. Also, other then the seats the interior is straight out of the BASE MODEL

Last edited by 5style; 02-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
As a ex-Mazda employee, the MS3 is a HUGE PIECE OF SHIT. Rust problems inside the doors, rear wheel arches, and suspension components ( Mazda refuses to fix this problem which started WAYYYYY back in 2003, they rather make dealer rust repairs with orange peel paint jobs , etc.) Engine burns oil rather easily ( 3 came in for NEW BLOCKS due to burning oil), issues with power steering lines, STILL, and general LACK of quality, like the base model FELT carpets, hard plastics, but massive sticker price.

MS6 , same issue, RUST and Engine issues but atleast the interior is less plastic and it has awd.

I would not touch that rust bucket with a ten foot pole. Also, other then the seats the interior is straight out of the BASE MODEL
Well I can say from my experiences, this has NOT happened. Due to owning a MS3, I go to the local meet and greets along with the bimmer ones, there are still MS3 that are from 03, 04 that are still mint. I would assume that these cars were probably driven by regular drivers that don't even service the oil on the regular. I have yet to have ANY issues with mine for the year that i've owned it. A friend in the same building also has a 08' MS3 that's even tuned on meth ect, no issues either. Not even when it comes to him putting power down.

About sirex's comment. The MS3 is a pig on gas city wise. 400-500km per tank city but highway to you get 800-900km. Don't forget it's also 91octane only.

I would suggest that if you can get a car with records, then do so. Nothing is better then seeing what exactly was wrong or if things were fixed or just general maintenance was maintaned during the life of the car.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
sirex
King Sirex

all cars get 400-500 city driving. the difference is smaller cars have smaller tanks to get that same mileage.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

I think Randy blew a ms3 engine here on the track too, fyi.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Well I can say from my experiences, this has NOT happened. Due to owning a MS3, I go to the local meet and greets along with the bimmer ones, there are still MS3 that are from 03, 04 that are still mint. I would assume that these cars were probably driven by regular drivers that don't even service the oil on the regular. I have yet to have ANY issues with mine for the year that i've owned it. A friend in the same building also has a 08' MS3 that's even tuned on meth ect, no issues either. Not even when it comes to him putting power down.

About sirex's comment. The MS3 is a pig on gas city wise. 400-500km per tank city but highway to you get 800-900km. Don't forget it's also 91octane only.

I would suggest that if you can get a car with records, then do so. Nothing is better then seeing what exactly was wrong or if things were fixed or just general maintenance was maintaned during the life of the car.

Check your rust, its there. Unless you don't winter drive , its there
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

I just got 09 135i and i have no words how to describe it. Its just awesome in every aspect. Ans i had some very nice cars before. Love it!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (142.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Michel
6th Gear Member

^that's reallly nice! what options/mileage? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure I can afford a nicely equiped, low mileage 135 since they only came out in '08.

I'm kind of set on the gti, but it all comes down to the test drives.

As for the Ms3 - i personally hate the styling and the interior is decent; I find mazda's have nicer interiors than most japanese cars in general. It's worht a test drive I guess..

Might also try out one of those FRS/BRZ things when they come out - they're pretty ugly but look like fun to drive.

Edit: someone mentioned the GLI as well - those are made in mexico... 'nuff said

Last edited by Michel; 02-08-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

why not a 2012 mustang brand new? 305 hp from V6? can hang/blow the doors off your competition, handles well. and your getting a brand new car with warranty and above average consumer reports scores.

not only that you have every single performance company pumping mods out for these cars too.

sure Im talking about the V6, which is $21,249 base price.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: