Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Milney325
1st Gear Newbie

Introduction/S52 Swap Question

Hey everyone,

Since I'm new to the forum, I just thought I'd say hello. I've been in the E36 world for a while now, and have often used the various forums for information, but never got around to joining any of them. When I came across this site the other day and realised that it caters specifically to Canadians, I was pretty pleased. It's great to find such an active and knowledgeable group of enthusiasts who are also familiar with the unique challenges associated with owning and modifying a BMW in Canada. I'm really looking forward to being a part of the community.

With that out of the way, I have a quick question. I'm currently looking into swapping out my tired old M50 for an S52. However, I'm having some trouble finding one. Unfortunately, E36 M3's are pretty rare out here in the Maritimes, so finding someone who's parting one out locally is very unlikely. Now I think there are a few people on here who have either have done or are looking to do this swap. So here's my question: Do you guys know of any good places in Canada from which I could source a (preferably low mileage) S52? I certainly don't mind paying to have one frieghted out here, I'd just prefer to avoid incurring the extra hassle and expense of getting one from the States.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Milney325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126150

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

^^^ Tom is highly recommended. I got my S50 from him. You can see his Kijiji ads by searching for "Bimmer Auto Parts".

Not sure if you're following the build threads on BF and here, but the latest swap trend is to swap M54 rotating assemblies (crank, rods, pistons) into an M50 block (i.e a stroker build). Another alternative where you can reutilize your old block and get S5x levels of power with the advantage of being a fresh build so you won't have to wonder about how worn out a used S5x engine is and its ownership/maintenance history.

Last edited by kenmar; 02-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Milney325
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the recommendation, it's nice to hear from people who have had positive experiences with a business. I actually stumbled across the Kijiji ads you mentioned not long ago, and even spoke to Tom on the phone. He's apparently moving away from E36's to focus on the newer stuff, which is one of the reasons I decided to ask around for any alternatives. Hopefully though, I'll be able to snag one of the ones he has left.

I was actually just having a look at the stroker thread earlier today. I think I'd still prefer to simply swap in an S5x, but it's certainly an interesting option. I'll definitely be considering it.
Milney325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: