Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674
Canadian sports mourn loss of Sarah Burke - Burke's family faces $550,000 in bills



-
Canadian sports mourn loss of Sarah Burke
Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke was an Olympic gold-medal hopeful, a groundbreaker in her sport and a wife looking forward to a bright future when she died from injuries sustained in a fall.
-
Burke crashed Jan. 10 in Park City, Utah, in training while executing what was thought to be a routine trick for her in the halfpipe.
-
The four-time Winter X Games champion..A favourite to win another X-Games title later this month in Aspen, Colo., Burke lobbied hard during her career to get event organizers to accept that females could also perform big air tricks on the superpipe, which is a super-sized version of the halfpipe.

The IOC announced in April, 2011, that the freestyle ski discipline of halfpipe would be a medal sport at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

http://sports.sympatico.ca/news/cana...urke_/a7817557


Sarah Burke's family faces $550,000 in bills
A website has been set up to receive donations to cover the massive medical costs faced by the family of Sarah Burke, the beloved Canadian freestyle skier who died Thursday following a horrific crash nine days earlier.
-
Now, a website has been set up to solicit donations to help cover the hospital bills left to her husband, fellow skier Rory Bushfield, and her parents and sister.
-
The website describes Burke as a "legendary athlete, role model and an inspiration" and says she was Canada's first competitive female freeskier who successfully lobbied the Winter X Games to include women in the freeskiing discipline.

And it was her work lobbying sporting associations and advocating for the sport, the site says, that led to freesking's inclusion in the 2014 Sochi Olympics -- an event where she was expected to have been a favourite.

"Her accomplishments on skis continue to inspire girls everywhere to believe in themselves and follow their hearts," the site says.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/co...-legacy-120120

rip -thats sad. even sadder is that a world known Canadian athlete that would repersent canada in the olympics had no health coverage while trainning?
and her family is on the hook for half a mill?
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long
 
Blades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
-
Canadian sports mourn loss of Sarah Burke
Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke was an Olympic gold-medal hopeful, a groundbreaker in her sport and a wife looking forward to a bright future when she died from injuries sustained in a fall.
-
Burke crashed Jan. 10 in Park City, Utah, in training while executing what was thought to be a routine trick for her in the halfpipe.
-
The four-time Winter X Games champion..A favourite to win another X-Games title later this month in Aspen, Colo., Burke lobbied hard during her career to get event organizers to accept that females could also perform big air tricks on the superpipe, which is a super-sized version of the halfpipe.

The IOC announced in April, 2011, that the freestyle ski discipline of halfpipe would be a medal sport at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

http://sports.sympatico.ca/news/cana...urke_/a7817557


Sarah Burke's family faces $550,000 in bills
A website has been set up to receive donations to cover the massive medical costs faced by the family of Sarah Burke, the beloved Canadian freestyle skier who died Thursday following a horrific crash nine days earlier.
-
Now, a website has been set up to solicit donations to help cover the hospital bills left to her husband, fellow skier Rory Bushfield, and her parents and sister.
-
The website describes Burke as a "legendary athlete, role model and an inspiration" and says she was Canada's first competitive female freeskier who successfully lobbied the Winter X Games to include women in the freeskiing discipline.

And it was her work lobbying sporting associations and advocating for the sport, the site says, that led to freesking's inclusion in the 2014 Sochi Olympics -- an event where she was expected to have been a favourite.

"Her accomplishments on skis continue to inspire girls everywhere to believe in themselves and follow their hearts," the site says.

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/co...-legacy-120120

rip -thats sad. even sadder is that a world known Canadian athlete that would repersent canada in the olympics had no health coverage while trainning?
and her family is on the hook for half a mill?
You would think they would learn from the first time when she broke her vertebra in 2009 but no .. now they have to pay up.
__________________
-=[ BL/\DES ]=-



All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,243
RIP to sarah burke, guess no insurance company would touch her knowing the sport that she is in. But there probably was an insurance company willing to cover her, she was just not willing to pay for that coverage.

canada should subsidize the coverage not foot an entire bill.

sounds like she refused all sorts of coverage, life, health, injury.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,107
Sorry to hear she passed but why is such a widely known and successful athlete not able to pay their own bills. Are we really to believe her husband is insolvent?

No one would pay my families bills, last act of using her fame for gain imo.
__________________
E46
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
damameke
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Sorry to hear she passed but why is such a widely known and successful athlete not able to pay their own bills. Are we really to believe her husband is insolvent?

No one would pay my families bills, last act of using her fame for gain imo.
Widely known and sucessful athelete does not mean she is loaded with cash..many known athlete relies on sponsors and sponsors do not cover injury and if you dont have insurance coverage, the medical bill is substantial
I am glad that oridinary people are helping out donating whatever they can.... .

RIP..
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
someone explain why they have to foot the bill of 550,000?

just dont pay its the USA they cant touch your assets in Canada
__________________

Last edited by sirex; 01-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,107
Doesnt matter already received 100's of thousands in donations.

Personally I don't mind helping the less fortunate, in fact I do so often. But I will not give away my money to a person(s) who had a choice to not get a job like the rest of us and rather decided to ski all day.

jmo
__________________
E46
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
someone explain why they have to foot the bill of 550,000?

just dont pay its the USA they cant touch your assets in Canada
Probably for the same reason some people actually pay speeding tickets they get issued while in the states, fear that something could actually transpire from not paying or they think they're doing good by handing their cash over to another nation. I imagine they'd have people coming after them for half a million though.
__________________
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
1bmw1
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: GTA
Posts: 675
Sad news.

Its a shame that ordinary people had to dish out this money, meanwhile her multi million dollar sponsors stayed quiet.
__________________
BMW...Now you're playing with power.
1bmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015