Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
daytona
6th Gear Member

Floor laminate questions for landing

would you end a laminate floor with a stair nose piece on this landing?.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

I wouldnt use bullnose, but I would but the flooring up against some fancy finishing trim.

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
daytona
6th Gear Member

that wooden piece will be removed..its was for the previous carpet...I was thinking about putting a trim piece flush with where the laminate ends...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
sski
2nd Gear Member

I'd go right to the edge with the laminate then put a put a trim piece on as suggested. If you have a ragged edge because you had to rip the last row just put a 90 degree angled piece of trim over the horizonatal floor part and the vertical facing.

A bullnose would probably be too thick anyway. They are really meant for hardwood which is thicker than laminate. Also, assuming that railing is staying the edge will never see any wear and tear.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

omg dont use laminate.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
calegrant
6th Gear Member

How permanent is that railing? If this were my house I'd put a new facing which raises up about an inch above the floor so it's about 1/2" above the finished laminate and start a row flush off there and then mount the railing on top. Even if you were running it in the other direction, a skilled person and a finishing blade could have it tight enough that just a thin bead of dap would be very subtle from a few feet away. That gives the best appearance IMO. I despise noses, quarter round or transitions in flooring unless absolutely necessary such as transition from one type of flooring to another. Trim when used in flooring is usually just an excuse to make the job easier/cheaper or to cover up mistakes or poor craftsmanship.

Last edited by calegrant; 01-16-2012 at 06:33 PM.
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
omg dont use laminate.
Why not? You're probably thinking of the shitty paper-thin stuff they sell at IKEA, in which case I agree. However, there are many high-quality, beautiful laminate flooring products available out there that would fool a lot of hardwood snobs. For people with kids and/or animals, IMO laminate is the better choice due to its superior durability compared to real wood.

To the OP: Is something like this what you were thinking? That would look fine, but if the flooring manufacturer you go with doesn't offer a proprietary trim for the type of laminate you use, I would probably just butt the flooring into a piece of half-round fastened to the fascia to simulate that effect.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
calegrant
6th Gear Member

The durability factor is huge and probably the biggest selling feature to families. I've installed laminates and vinyl flooring which cost far more than the cost of the real thing, it's not just the cheap man's option and hasn't been for years.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

didn't mean it as a cheap mans option, but because of the cost and the real thing looks better
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

If you found a good colour match, you could just iron on a strip of veneer after trimming all of the butt ends flush. It would give the appearance of a 3/4" board flooring from the front and from the top it would be almost invisible.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
daytona
6th Gear Member

thanks guys...I went to Yorkdale flooring and we decided a bull nose is the best for the landing...the installers even mentioned it has a slight lip to it and makes a cleaner look...I bought a unstained one and going to colour match it to the flooring...its cost 5x more for a prestain one and even that doesnt match perfectly...I highly recommend Yorkdale flooring very friendly and knowledgable about their items...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: