Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
itrocks4u
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 30
19" Wheels on E90/E92?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone here drives on 19" wheels on their car - E90/1/2/3? I've heard 19" have pretty hard drive and tend to bend/damage easily. Seeing our roads here in GTA would you suggest going with 19" or stick to 18" max?

Thanks.
itrocks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Havok_2011
Architect
 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
19" are common on E90's and E92's

You won't have any issues until you get up to 20" which will usually require a fender roll and spacers.

I have OEM 19" rims and have no issues. Most of the guys in the E92 club run 19" There is the occasional nut that does 20"

Bent/damaged rims have little to do with it being 19" and all to do with how cheap they are made (what company you go with).

Quality comes with the price tag.
__________________
|
2011 Alpine White BMW E92 M3 | 2009 Jerez Black BMW E92 M3 | 2007 BMW E92 Coupe | 2005 350Z Grand Touring Roadster | 2002 RSX Type-S | 1977 Mustang Cobra II |
Havok_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
itrocks4u
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
19" are common on E90's and E92's

You won't have any issues until you get up to 20" which will usually require a fender roll and spacers.

I have OEM 19" rims and have no issues. Most of the guys in the E92 club run 19" There is the occasional nut that does 20"

Bent/damaged rims have little to do with it being 19" and all to do with how cheap they are made (what company you go with).

Quality comes with the price tag.
Havok then why do so many people say that it's a lot stiffer and harder and easy to damage rims. How do you feel about it? For daily driver, would you recommend 18 or 19 (no rfts ofcourse)
itrocks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
dbworld4k
Addict
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 7,215
19s are fine...
__________________


'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Havok_2011
Architect
 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Havok then why do so many people say that it's a lot stiffer and harder and easy to damage rims. How do you feel about it? For daily driver, would you recommend 18 or 19 (no rfts ofcourse)
Who are all these people you are referring to that tell you this?? 19" for daily use is completely fine. Perhaps they are basing this on the fact that the larger the rim, the thinner the rubber, so a rougher ride when hitting bumps etc. But 19" don't create a rough ride on an E92. BMW sells you these cars on 19" if you get the package. Another major factor is if you have runflats or not. Runflats are a rougher ride, but they will be a saving grace if your tires ever pop.

20" is another story as I mentioned previously.

If you posted this up at the E90post forums they would tell you the same. 19" aren't a problem. Get a good set is all I recommend. OEM's are strong but a tad heavy from what people say, but I have 10" OEM and they are great. You could always go to Tires23 in Mississauga and look into a good set of rims. Those guys are great, and can get anything you want. Been dealing with them for over 10 years now.
__________________
|
2011 Alpine White BMW E92 M3 | 2009 Jerez Black BMW E92 M3 | 2007 BMW E92 Coupe | 2005 350Z Grand Touring Roadster | 2002 RSX Type-S | 1977 Mustang Cobra II |
Havok_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet
 
BMWdouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 548
I had this dilemma picking mine so I'll share my thought process:

- 19's are more expensive + need more expensive Tyres so 18's are a cheaper option
- 19's in some cases WILL bend more easy but as Havok said it matters about the quality. Cheap 19's will bend more easily than cheap 18's. OEMs are solid and shouldn't be a problem (really depends on where you live, I lived downtown and didn't want to risk it)
- 19's will be a little firmer because of thinner rubber, again depends on the roads you run.
- Lastly, this is gonna cause a ruckus I'm sure, but my research indicated that running 18's would help on the racetrack because of lower unsprung weight and less rotational mass. Stock M3 rims are 18".

So I bought staggered 18's......it was mostly because they were cheaper though.. lol

EDIT: Also I like the way 18's look on an E90.. 19's look too big/flashy for my tastes
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
itrocks4u
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
Who are all these people you are referring to that tell you this?? 19" for daily use is completely fine. Perhaps they are basing this on the fact that the larger the rim, the thinner the rubber, so a rougher ride when hitting bumps etc. But 19" don't create a rough ride on an E92. BMW sells you these cars on 19" if you get the package. Another major factor is if you have runflats or not. Runflats are a rougher ride, but they will be a saving grace if your tires ever pop.

20" is another story as I mentioned previously.

If you posted this up at the E90post forums they would tell you the same. 19" aren't a problem. Get a good set is all I recommend. OEM's are strong but a tad heavy from what people say, but I have 10" OEM and they are great. You could always go to Tires23 in Mississauga and look into a good set of rims. Those guys are great, and can get anything you want. Been dealing with them for over 10 years now.
I guess that makes sense, I'm thinking 19" staggered, 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 for E90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
I had this dilemma picking mine so I'll share my thought process:

- 19's are more expensive + need more expensive Tyres so 18's are a cheaper option
- 19's in some cases WILL bend more easy but as Havok said it matters about the quality. Cheap 19's will bend more easily than cheap 18's. OEMs are solid and shouldn't be a problem (really depends on where you live, I lived downtown and didn't want to risk it)
- 19's will be a little firmer because of thinner rubber, again depends on the roads you run.
- Lastly, this is gonna cause a ruckus I'm sure, but my research indicated that running 18's would help on the racetrack because of lower unsprung weight and less rotational mass. Stock M3 rims are 18".

So I bought staggered 18's......it was mostly because they were cheaper though.. lol

EDIT: Also I like the way 18's look on an E90.. 19's look too big/flashy for my tastes
I see your points. I highly doubt I'll track the 328. Cost is a major factor for me as well. The cost of 18" square setup is almost the same as 19" staggered setup that I'm thinking right now (maybe $150 more). This is because the 19" are second-hand rims and in good condition. If it wasn't for these rims, I'd definitely go 18"s cause of budget.
itrocks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 7,215
19s will always look better on the E9x. Heck, they look great on the E46. I find 18s are the upper limit on E36s, but anything beyond that 19s are a must.
__________________


'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Jim .E.
E90 n00b
 
Jim .E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brampton
Posts: 6,649
I have 18's on my E90 and I can tell you right now they're a bit small, 19's minimum on a E9X

I have a good meaty tire so it fills the gap well - but its still too small.
__________________
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet
 
BMWdouche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
I have 18's on my E90 and I can tell you right now they're a bit small, 19's minimum on a E9X

I have a good meaty tire so it fills the gap well - but its still too small.
ya'll are crazy!!!!
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Havok_2011
Architect
 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
I guess that makes sense, I'm thinking 19" staggered, 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 for E90.
I have a staggered setup as well, looks best on our cars rather than a square setup. Go for it man!! Will look great
__________________
|
2011 Alpine White BMW E92 M3 | 2009 Jerez Black BMW E92 M3 | 2007 BMW E92 Coupe | 2005 350Z Grand Touring Roadster | 2002 RSX Type-S | 1977 Mustang Cobra II |
Havok_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Havok_2011
Architect
 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
I had this dilemma picking mine so I'll share my thought process:

- 19's are more expensive + need more expensive Tyres so 18's are a cheaper option
- 19's in some cases WILL bend more easy but as Havok said it matters about the quality. Cheap 19's will bend more easily than cheap 18's. OEMs are solid and shouldn't be a problem (really depends on where you live, I lived downtown and didn't want to risk it)
- 19's will be a little firmer because of thinner rubber, again depends on the roads you run.
- Lastly, this is gonna cause a ruckus I'm sure, but my research indicated that running 18's would help on the racetrack because of lower unsprung weight and less rotational mass. Stock M3 rims are 18".

So I bought staggered 18's......it was mostly because they were cheaper though.. lol

EDIT: Also I like the way 18's look on an E90.. 19's look too big/flashy for my tastes
I agree with everything you said (except the last comment, 19" look best on the E90's ), including tracking on smaller rims will give you better results. 19" on the track is not ideal. I am currently working on a setup for a set of track rims. Want to go 17" since they fit on my car for the track, or will find a set of 18".

I tracked last season on my 19" OEM rims.....not ideal, not only because they are 19", but because they were runflats and OEM rims= heavy.

I expect my track setup to make a big difference next season.
__________________
|
2011 Alpine White BMW E92 M3 | 2009 Jerez Black BMW E92 M3 | 2007 BMW E92 Coupe | 2005 350Z Grand Touring Roadster | 2002 RSX Type-S | 1977 Mustang Cobra II |
Havok_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Havok_2011
Architect
 
Havok_2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
ya'll are crazy!!!!
yessum we iz.
__________________
|
2011 Alpine White BMW E92 M3 | 2009 Jerez Black BMW E92 M3 | 2007 BMW E92 Coupe | 2005 350Z Grand Touring Roadster | 2002 RSX Type-S | 1977 Mustang Cobra II |
Havok_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
itrocks4u
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
I have a staggered setup as well, looks best on our cars rather than a square setup. Go for it man!! Will look great
Alright - almost convinced lol.

What tire size are you running on the 19"s? I was thinking 235/35 F and 265/30 R. BMW says that's not possible and 225/35 F and 255/30 R is better. Both obviously for XI models.

Any thoughts? What difference does that make?
itrocks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
Jim .E.
E90 n00b
 
Jim .E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brampton
Posts: 6,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
ya'll are crazy!!!!
not really.



18x8.5 on 225/45 all around...was small.

now on (still 18x8.5 rims) 225/45 front and 255/45 rear. Looks a little more flush in the rear

__________________
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.