Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
e39 battery

FYI, I just picked up a new battery, perfect fit

From Walmart Energizer 108-h8 model for $113 + tax + $10 deposit for old battery exchange.

3 year free exchange and pro-rate after 3 years

Last edited by Oyster; 02-02-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
BMVV
2nd Gear Member

Does this battery have the air vent?
BMVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb Make this Thread a Sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
FYI, I just picked up a new battery, perfect fit

From Walmart Energizer 108-h8 model for $113 + tax + $10 deposit for old battery exchange.

3 year free exchange and pro-rate after 3 years
Thanks for posting, E39s are developing the reputation as battery eaters.

Mr. Modirator, please consider making this thread a "sticky" where the Members can post the batteries and prices they paid.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Thanks for posting, E39s are developing the reputation as battery eaters.

Mr. Modirator, please consider making this thread a "sticky" where the Members can post the batteries and prices they paid.
so what happened to me was that last Saturday, I started the car in -25celcius. Car started fine. I turned on the heat, the defrost, the heated seat, the heated steering wheel.

Then I drove less than 1 km to mcdonald to get coffee and breakfast. The car would not restart after that.

I had CAA boost and did the test. Everything is fine and battery needs a recharge but still good.

I knew that I drained the battery 3 times (forgot lights or radio) and it is 2.5 years old.

So I made the decision to change it. CAA roadside did not have on in their trucks ($180-200 installed) and they failed to follow up with me next 2 days to come over and install one so I got fed up and started shopping around and stumble on 1 that fits.

Group 49 is for the e39. CAA usually carry the 650-750CCA and not the 900-950CCA

hope this helps
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVV View Post
Does this battery have the air vent?
I don't know but it looks like the previous one and the air vent is inside the rear fender.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
richmak
4th Gear Member

You should really connect the air vent tube to the new battery. The gas emitted is not only harmful, but potentially flammable. If there are 2 vent openings (most aftermarket batteries have 2) you could seal the one closer to the negative terminal, or run tubes from either vent and do a "T" to merge them into the single vent tube which runs to the outside fo the body.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmak View Post
You should really connect the air vent tube to the new battery. The gas emitted is not only harmful, but potentially flammable. If there are 2 vent openings (most aftermarket batteries have 2) you could seal the one closer to the negative terminal, or run tubes from either vent and do a "T" to merge them into the single vent tube which runs to the outside fo the body.
can you take a picture of your ventilation?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
rafiki
210k and counting

I just pulled the battery out of my 00/540i. OE BMW battery and there were no vent tubes. My 01/330i has a tube, but not the 540. I tried charging the battery, but no luck. Hope to get it tested today and get a replacement. I've never had a battery just die like that.
'01 330i premium package - sahara beige on tan - oe clears - legal tint - manual tranny minus cdv - carbonio intake - aluminum strut bar - sport shocks with h&r springs - uuc camber kit, ss lines, tse3 & evo3 ssk+dssr+rob knob - shark injected
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
rafiki
210k and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
I just pulled the battery out of my 00/540i. OE BMW battery and there were no vent tubes. My 01/330i has a tube, but not the 540. I tried charging the battery, but no luck. Hope to get it tested today and get a replacement. I've never had a battery just die like that.
I was wrong...when reinstalling the battery, I found that there is a vent tube that was never connected to the battery. Sadly, this battery was purchased and installed at Parkview BMW by the previous owner. Luckily I found an L connector and hooked everything up correctly. Still need to get the battery tested - it did charge overnight (wouldn't charge when I tried the day before), but the bubble indicator is not green (charger light was green this morning), but voltage was 13+ and 14 when I started the car.

My next task is to figure out how the battery drained over the course of one day. I parked the car in the garage and forgot to lock the driver's door. Could that have drained the battery?
'01 330i premium package - sahara beige on tan - oe clears - legal tint - manual tranny minus cdv - carbonio intake - aluminum strut bar - sport shocks with h&r springs - uuc camber kit, ss lines, tse3 & evo3 ssk+dssr+rob knob - shark injected
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
carjoe
6th Gear Member

If there was a light on.

I kow my kids love playing with the reading lamps on the C pillars. The only way I notice is that the garage gets pretty dark with all the doors closed.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

The FSU which controls the interior fan may be the cause, do a search you can replace it your self with a bit of effort. The FSU is the number one killer of E39 batteries... .
Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

bumping this old beauty.

What are people replacing the old batteries with nowadays Interstate has one and i think costco also has a e39 battery available.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I know a couple of E38 guys who have reported good things about the big Eliminator battery from Canadian Tire. Put it this way with more electronics on the E38, that battery will have no problem runing the E39.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
jmack
2nd Gear Member

I just replaced with a NAPA Euro/Import battery, same form factor as OEM and with vent in the right place, somewhat pricey based on Costco etc at $179+taxes. The PO had the same battery in there for about 4 years before it developed a bad cell.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: