Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
drapes
1st Gear Newbie

First ADS - Calabogie? Mosport? Other?

Hi,

I'm a new BMW owner and a recent member here and looking for advice or recommendations on attending my first BMW Advanced Driving School weekend. The BMW Car Club of Ottawa holds them at Calabogie and the Trillium Chapter holds them at Mosport. Presumably the curriculum and schedule will be similar, with the main difference being the track itself?

I live in Ottawa, so there's also Tremblant to consider.

Is there any reason to pick one over the other? Or should I just pick the one that fits best with other aspects of my life; timing, distance from home, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
drapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Gleb
E30 ..?

IMO, the only tracks on this planet, that are better than Mosport, are Nurburgring and Spa.
Do whatever gets you best bang for your buck first, see if you like it... then do them ALL! Trillium and Ottawa are probably the best options.
We are blessed to have about a half of dozen fantastic, world class tracks within reasonable driving distance.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

Can you name some please
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Gleb
E30 ..?

Mosport, Mt. Tremblant, Calabogie, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Lime Rock (short, but sweet), Road America (that one is a bit far)... and if you feels like driving for a day, go to VIR - the best American track, IMO.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I agree with VIR being great but so is Laguna Seca! Those two would be top American tracks, but I agree with Gleb, that Mosport GP is the best in N. America!

I am also an instructor and V.P. with Trillium. I'll try to not be biased though. Ottawa runs a tight ship as does Trillium, we have the same curriculum, and some of the same instructors. So, quality will be top notch either way. Trillium runs 3 - 3 day events at Mosport. If you have the budget I would suggest you attend both schools to get different tracks under your belt. I do personally prefer Mosport, but Calabogie is also awesome, a very close 2nd. Mosport more wide open with faster sweepers and straights, Calabogie more turns and more technical.

Hope this helps......

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Havok_2011
Architect

Personally I really like Mosport, but I believe these training sessions are useful regardless of location.

I would pick whatever is most convenient for you for this course. After all, its about what they are teaching you rather than the track itself.

Get to know your car a little more, then hit some fun tracks to improve your skills in the spring/summer.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
drapes
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the replies, all!

I'd like to do two, but we'll see...
drapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: