Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Kristina
Parts Princess

Just bought an '89 325iX - anyone know the car?

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I just picked up (aka rescued) a 1989 325iX. Curious if anyone knows the car as someone clearly loved the poor thing at some point - full Racing Dynamics kit, BBS wheels, m3 badges, mirror and steering wheel (yeah yeah I know lol) stainless exhaust, etc etc... guy we got it from didn't have a clue and hadn't done any of the mods, he said he had it for 2ish years.

It currently only drives in reverse - from research it looks like it could be the input shaft seals as there was some fluid leaking but no grinding noise or metal shards etc, goes into gear fine but won't go anywhere. If anyone else has any thoughts or experience with this please lmk!

Some crappy pics -

Last edited by Kristina; 01-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Not really a desireable E30 Model.. it's auto, 4 door and an IX 4WD model.
Good winter beater since it's 4wd.

Looks as though it needs some TLC. These can be money pits though.

How much did you pay ?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Lol Rob, nice warm welcome.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
Lol Rob, nice warm welcome.
LoL..

It is what it is..
Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Not really a desireable E30 Model.. it's auto, 4 door and an IX 4WD model.
Good winter beater since it's 4wd.

Looks as though it needs some TLC. These can be money pits though.

How much did you pay ?
Is the guy with multiple 80's Hondas really trying to tell someone about desirability? You clearly subscribe to your own concept of what desire is, so maybe let someone else do the same.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

yes.. that me

speaking of 80's honda's....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/most-...ht_22502wt_994

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/01/02/...-honda-crx-si/

Last edited by Robb; 01-03-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
All well and good Rob, however I suggested Kristina join here for info on her e30 not to be told it isn't desirable.

I mean I had a 4 door eta and wasn't welcomed this way and I didn't have a full RD kit or paint that looked near as good.

When was the last time someone new joined with an IX?

Stanceiseverything.com

Last edited by BMW BMXer; 01-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Kristina
Parts Princess

I'm not bothered about the desirability - just love the e30 style and got it for a steal since it's not working right it does need some TLC but it's with the right owners for that.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Kristina
Parts Princess

Auto isn't my preference either, but a manual swap would be in order at some point if the opportunity presented itself.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Well, if the car goes in reverse and not forward, it would appear that the opportunity to convert to 5spd has just presented itself.

Also, welcome to max, my girlfriend saw me looking at the white ix auto posted up for sale earlier today (black hood, white grill), and said "I want that!" Good luck with this one.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Hey, i know this car.. Its from hamilton i believe, My brothers went to look at it last year (or the year before), it was up for sale, the guy (Alan) thought the thing was a damn m3 or something cuz he was asking waaaay to much for it at the time, They said the racing dynamics body kit was cracked and the car sounded like death when they test drove, my brother originally intended to buy it but when he saw he suggested i buy it for parts for mine. A couple of months later i saw that he still had it so i messaged the guy to see if he was maybe interested in selling me some parts off it, in exchange of cash and my original parts in case he still wanted to keep the car whole, he took that as an insult saying how he "loves his e30 with the 'm3 headlights', the racing dynamics body kit and the m3 wheel too much to sell the parts, im probably just gonna keep it and fix it" so i replied that it would be his loss, and that all those parts would probably look better on my e30 than that beat down iX he's got anyway. He wasnt very pleased.. lol. So fast forward a few more months and my brother points out the car up for sale again (my brother looks for e30s on daily basis almost lol) and we have a good laugh at it because this time he was asking less than a third of what he had asked when my brother test drove it which seemed alot more fair of a price for that car, but he probably would have made that much and more if he sold me some of his parts and sold the car. I considered buying it as a beater changing the tranny and ripping the good parts off and putting them on my summer e30, but that seemed too hard to accomplish with my other donor car (e36) sitting around and taking up space as well, i figured i might as well sort out my swap project first before taking on more, and its been for sale since then, but i suppose its found a good home now. My advice: if you find too many things wrong with it when you start fixin her up, you could make what you paid back if you just part it out, and if that happens PM me i might be interested in something lol Good luck! welcome aboard

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Well, if the car goes in reverse and not forward, it would appear that the opportunity to convert to 5spd has just presented itself.

Also, welcome to max, my girlfriend saw me looking at the white ix auto posted up for sale earlier today (black hood, white grill), and said "I want that!" Good luck with this one.
The one with M colors on the grill? Car looks to be in beautiful shape, but damn that grill is ugly dont you think? lol

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

^ Yeah, but it can be easily fixed. 20 mins and all better

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by egye30 View Post
The one with M colors on the grill? Car looks to be in beautiful shape, but damn that grill is ugly dont you think? lol
In the 80's it was hip to colour match the grills on your E30 with the colour of the car.

I'm not that familiar with the E30 autotragic transmission but it could be the oil filter in the transmission. I've heard that when they get blocked up it can prevent the transmission from shifting. Could also be a broken/damaged shift linkage.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Kristina
Parts Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by egye30 View Post
Hey, i know this car.. Its from hamilton i believe, My brothers went to look at it last year (or the year before), it was up for sale, the guy (Alan) thought the thing was a damn m3 or something cuz he was asking waaaay to much for it at the time, They said the racing dynamics body kit was cracked and the car sounded like death when they test drove, my brother originally intended to buy it but when he saw he suggested i buy it for parts for mine. A couple of months later i saw that he still had it so i messaged the guy to see if he was maybe interested in selling me some parts off it, in exchange of cash and my original parts in case he still wanted to keep the car whole, he took that as an insult saying how he "loves his e30 with the 'm3 headlights', the racing dynamics body kit and the m3 wheel too much to sell the parts, im probably just gonna keep it and fix it" so i replied that it would be his loss, and that all those parts would probably look better on my e30 than that beat down iX he's got anyway. He wasnt very pleased.. lol. So fast forward a few more months and my brother points out the car up for sale again (my brother looks for e30s on daily basis almost lol) and we have a good laugh at it because this time he was asking less than a third of what he had asked when my brother test drove it which seemed alot more fair of a price for that car, but he probably would have made that much and more if he sold me some of his parts and sold the car. I considered buying it as a beater changing the tranny and ripping the good parts off and putting them on my summer e30, but that seemed too hard to accomplish with my other donor car (e36) sitting around and taking up space as well, i figured i might as well sort out my swap project first before taking on more, and its been for sale since then, but i suppose its found a good home now. My advice: if you find too many things wrong with it when you start fixin her up, you could make what you paid back if you just part it out, and if that happens PM me i might be interested in something lol Good luck! welcome aboard
Could be the same car then because it is from the Hamilton area - however the guy wasn't Alan and doesn't sound like the same guy at all because the guy we got it from didn't seem to know anything ("I don't know why it won't drive, maybe the engine or transmission" - lol). Maybe the Alan guy owned it and then sold it to our guy who sold it to us? The only other thing that doesn't make sense is the kit isn't cracked and seems to run great now... hmmm.

And yes - we bought it because either it's a cheap fix and therefore a fun beater/winter car OR we part it/scrap it and make our money back - no biggie. lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: