Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 322 km/h straight from the factory

650 horsepower. 600 pound-feet of torque. 320-plus kilometres per hour. With specs like these, you don't need long-form introductions. This is the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, and all we can say is, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has officially been put on notice.

The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-litre, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger. Nearly the entire powertrain has been upgraded for 2013, including a new cross-drilled block and heads, updated camshaft profiles, a carbon fibre driveshaft and upgraded clutch, transmission and axle. The cooling system has also been upgraded, and the new six-speed manual transmission now has a final drive ratio of 3.31-to-1 optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine.

Further enhancements can be had in the GT500 Performance Pack, which incorporates SVT-designed Blistein electronic adjustable dampers with 'normal' and 'sport' modes and a Torsen limited-slip differential. What's more, the Track Package adds an external engine oil cooler, rear differential cooler and transmission cooler. Like the current GT500, 19-inch wheels are standard up front (20-inch rollers are found out back) and a Brembo braking system keeps everything in check when its time to control all that force. The whole package weighs in at just 1,746 kilograms (3,850 pounds) 122 kilos (270 pounds) less than the Camaro ZL1.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/20...-straight-fro/
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

and it looks good too... MB has done the same thing with the new C63 coupe... these guys will go to any length to de-throne the M3... sad

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

sad? its a great time to be a car guy right now. who wouldve thought (10 yrs ago) they would pump out cars like this?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE36 View Post
and it looks good too... MB has done the same thing with the new C63 coupe... these guys will go to any length to de-throne the M3... sad
posts like this confuse me...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
///Maluco
5erholic

...and if that's not enough hp for you, you can always opt for the 2011 Mustang 750hp Super Snake. ohh yeahhhhh!

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Any idea on MSRP?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Sad in the sense that engineering for vehicles like this is falling way behind the curve...

Here is an example, the 2010/2011 CTS-V which bested the 2006 M5 by a second... automotive journalism is getting silly, comparing the likes of a 2009 M3 with a 2011 CTS-V and 2013 RS5, and sadly BMW still ends up on top... with a car that had its SRED done in 2005/2006 with a 2007 release date...

I find it sad that car manufacturers are constantly trying to truly trump each other... why does it take 5 years to trump another car? Are you serious? selling a car in the same class boasting the same or even higher pricetag for a performance oriented vehicle that either does not live up to match the performance or takes them 5 years to barely match and supercede it...

I would like to see an automotive market where the M3 isn't king for 23 years and counting... I want to see de-thorning year after year after year, that is true progress, especially for the car enthusiast (even more so if you are a performance nut). If MB, Cadillac, Audi, Infinity, Lexus are to compete over market share for a performance oriented vehicle, they should be stepping on each others toes month after month, as at the end of the day, that is what we want, we want the best and fastest. At the rate it's going now, BMW can get away with a 6 year run on a basically untouched base M3 while Audi, Ford, Cadillac have to go through 3 revision in the same time frame to keep up... BMW will build a better faster M3 when it is either pressed to do so by the market because it's brand is being knocked by the likes of lesser brands or when it feels that its about time because people are getting bored of looking at the same bloody M3 for a 7th year, they milked the cow enough, show us a new trick.

All I want is more competition, to drive engineers and manufacturers to battle... case in point, over the past 2 years the nurburgring has become a fashion show of the automotive industry... Nissan showed up everyone when they dropped a 7 minute laptime in a regular spec GTR which bested the likes of a $1,000,000 ferrari... so prosche jumped right in with their GT3RS and then GM came with the ZR1 and Chrysler followed suit with the Viper god knows what and then the GTR came back... the new GTR is expected to be a 10 second car right out of the showroom floor.

That is what I like, I'm not a fan of nissans at all, but I like competition, it raises the bar for everyone and leads to improvements accross the board for everyone. Hell even subaru purpose built the STI to hit below 8 minutes on the nurburgring and showcased it.

At the end of the day... Ford could have built this car 4 or 5 years ago without any difficulty or additional costs than it did this time around... and that is sad... do it once and do it right... Too many revision in too small of a time period leads to reduced profits and a 5 year delay to the bar raising of market leaders.

*Disclaimer - this is strictly my viewpoint, everyone has the right to disagree and hold their very own opinion, I'm just providing an explanation for my previous comment using the work sad and there being confusion*

Last edited by MiroE36; 11-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

^^^ I think you're in la la land...

Are you seriously saying you think all Manufacturers should have the same refresh cycle?

Not only that, I can't believe you are complaining about cars that are coming out faster and faster out of the showroom. I think it's almost time to revoke your man card.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

Are you seriously saying you think all Manufacturers should have the same refresh cycle?

Not only that, I can't believe you are complaining about cars that are coming out faster and faster out of the showroom. I think it's almost time to revoke your man card.
Clearly you dont read... but that's ok... rookie mistake I guess... hold on to your boy card

Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

2013 GTR (MY2012) official info: 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds (0-100 kph in 2.8) 550 HP only!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=HCOxe_LRtEg#!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Sad in the sense that engineering for vehicles like this is falling way behind the curve...

Here is an example, the 2010/2011 CTS-V which bested the 2006 M5 by a second... automotive journalism is getting silly, comparing the likes of a 2009 M3 with a 2011 CTS-V and 2013 RS5, and sadly BMW still ends up on top... with a car that had its SRED done in 2005/2006 with a 2007 release date...

I find it sad that car manufacturers are constantly trying to truly trump each other... why does it take 5 years to trump another car? Are you serious? selling a car in the same class boasting the same or even higher pricetag for a performance oriented vehicle that either does not live up to match the performance or takes them 5 years to barely match and supercede it...

I would like to see an automotive market where the M3 isn't king for 23 years and counting... I want to see de-thorning year after year after year, that is true progress, especially for the car enthusiast (even more so if you are a performance nut). If MB, Cadillac, Audi, Infinity, Lexus are to compete over market share for a performance oriented vehicle, they should be stepping on each others toes month after month, as at the end of the day, that is what we want, we want the best and fastest. At the rate it's going now, BMW can get away with a 6 year run on a basically untouched base M3 while Audi, Ford, Cadillac have to go through 3 revision in the same time frame to keep up... BMW will build a better faster M3 when it is either pressed to do so by the market because it's brand is being knocked by the likes of lesser brands or when it feels that its about time because people are getting bored of looking at the same bloody M3 for a 7th year, they milked the cow enough, show us a new trick.

All I want is more competition, to drive engineers and manufacturers to battle... case in point, over the past 2 years the nurburgring has become a fashion show of the automotive industry... Nissan showed up everyone when they dropped a 7 minute laptime in a regular spec GTR which bested the likes of a $1,000,000 ferrari... so prosche jumped right in with their GT3RS and then GM came with the ZR1 and Chrysler followed suit with the Viper god knows what and then the GTR came back... the new GTR is expected to be a 10 second car right out of the showroom floor.

That is what I like, I'm not a fan of nissans at all, but I like competition, it raises the bar for everyone and leads to improvements accross the board for everyone. Hell even subaru purpose built the STI to hit below 8 minutes on the nurburgring and showcased it.

At the end of the day... Ford could have built this car 4 or 5 years ago without any difficulty or additional costs than it did this time around... and that is sad... do it once and do it right... Too many revision in too small of a time period leads to reduced profits and a 5 year delay to the bar raising of market leaders.

*Disclaimer - this is strictly my viewpoint, everyone has the right to disagree and hold their very own opinion, I'm just providing an explanation for my previous comment using the work sad and there being confusion*
I disagree with the above point. Quite the opposite, that is how they make money! If they built the "greatest" car, once, then everyone would buy it and never look back. When will that company sell cars again? Many of those cars are targeted to people who can afford to drop the latest and greatest infavour for something even better, whether it is 1 year or 3 years. It would make sense that just about the time you are sick of your crazy toy, BAM! your manufacturer comes out with the same thing but better; so what do you do? You buy it!

These cars aren't targeting broke asses like us driving 10 year old cars thinking we are hot shit, they target those who want and can afford the latest and greatest.

Don't forget technological limitations as well. They are pushing the envelope more and more to squeeze out fraction of a second and a few extra HP's out of a motor.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

lol Miro I understand what you are saying and I agree with you, however you could use the same argument for PCs, Bikes, Clothes, Shoes, Electronics, Phones and just about everything that is made by a corporation.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
leads to reduced profits
id say quite the opposite. if they "built it right just one time" where the hell else would they go?

its all about balance. engineers have to work with the bean counters and a company has to think about long term profits. so pumping out the end all be all model doesnt allow them much room to grow long term(performance wise)... never mind technological advancements take time...

edit: ok im seriously upset that m5lover and I have the same stance again. excuse me while I go stick my balls in a vice.

Last edited by SiR; 11-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

lol says the kid that thinks BMW is the end all/be all
Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

guess you still haven't learned to read... not surprised, don't expect much from people like you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: