Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
gravyface
2nd Gear Member

Jack stands, ramp stands, etc.

So I just read this thread and can't get it out of my mind: I'm thinking twice about using the Certified brand Canadian Tire 3-ton jacks I have after one of the guys calculated that it would only take 90 lbs of force to release the stand. They don't have the safety pins and from the site it doesn't look like any of them have a safety pin.

I bought those plastic ramps from Part Source that I can't even drive up with my e46 so I've been jacking it up from the lift points and placing the car on the ramp one wheel at a time. Feels really unsafe getting it up on that second ramp because all the weight is now on that first ramp; maybe I'm being paranoid.

I really like the idea of a ramp or a stacked solution (seen home brews that use interlocking, stacked 2x6s, but I'd rather have steel).

Besides getting a lift, what's some Canadian/USA made ramp stands you'd recommend?
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Im not a fan of running those adjustable jackstands at any raised height. its normal height is what I use. read way to many times of people knocking them down and dying. i just dont trust the design with no safety back up.

when you jack up the second side not all the weight is on that first ramp...your jack has most of that side you are on.

you can make some home made wood supports if you wish. no not cinder blocks(DONT EVER use that). wood is fine if dont properly. even 2x4's done right would work.
google around. they dont use wood for cribbing for no reason/or because its unsafe.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

I have cut myself 4 10"x10" wood beams about 18 inches high to sit my car on, stable as can be
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

woooooooooood it up
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

They should be fine. Firstly you need to apply upward pressure on the lever who is going to put 90lb of upward pressure on the bloody lever while under the car? Not me.

I've used the lever style supports for years, what I do is place the stand (lever down) and then let the stand take the load. I usually keep the jack in position at the lift point (unless I really need that space) to be there as a backup just in case. You can do the same as other people suggest and use some 4x4's or whatever.

When I did my rear subframe I but a few old tires/rims under the bottom of the spare wheel tub, and some 4x4's along the sides of the car. Worked fine and I felt safe.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Those plastic ramps are rated at 2500 lbs each. I've used them for my truck this year and love them compared to my 20+ yr old metal ramps. The adjustable ramps always recommend jack stands when getting under any vehicle.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I have the plastic ramps, i use them with both my e36's and my wife's suv.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
marek
5th Gear Member

The plastic ramps are great. I had a metal ramp colapse as I was driving my car onto it. It folded like a cheap lawn chair.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
sproule905
6th Gear Member

My buddy actually tests motor master parts and of course the jack stands. As he explains, he would not trust anything on the crappy tire jack stands

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

I've used the canadian tire jack stands for years, had my car on them for 3 years straight actually. As long as they are setup correctly and used properly they are perfectly safe.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
sproule905
6th Gear Member

^

I was referring to the ones that will be on the sales floor in the near year.... My bad

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
rdc
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
They should be fine. Firstly you need to apply upward pressure on the lever who is going to put 90lb of upward pressure on the bloody lever while under the car? Not me.

I've used the lever style supports for years, what I do is place the stand (lever down) and then let the stand take the load. I usually keep the jack in position at the lift point (unless I really need that space) to be there as a backup just in case. You can do the same as other people suggest and use some 4x4's or whatever.

When I did my rear subframe I but a few old tires/rims under the bottom of the spare wheel tub, and some 4x4's along the sides of the car. Worked fine and I felt safe.
+1
I use the stands and always leave the floor jack on the lifting point. I figure multiple independent supports are better than one.

I'll also shove a tire/rim or criss-crossed scrap 4x4's under the rocker panel. Better the car body gets crushed then me.

My parents next door neighbors kid was crushed to death working under his car last summer. It was pretty brutal.
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
you can make some home made wood supports if you wish. no not cinder blocks(DONT EVER use that).
I agree that if possible you should avoid using concrete block as a means of supporting your car while you work on it, especially in the off chance that you're going to be wildly swinging a hammer while you're under there

That being said... I used concrete block and crappy tire stands at the same time when I did my suspension overhaul

Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

at least you have stands there.

I wouldnt go under it otherwise.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
at least you have stands there.

I wouldnt go under it otherwise.
pffft where's your sense of adventure. It's more of a rush working on your car knowing it might kill you.

8" block has around 2000psi compressive strength anyway so using 2 blocks to hold a portion of the weight of a car that only weighs 2800lbs isn't a huge risk for me personally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: