Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
stevehi1
1st Gear Newbie

bouncing speedo

Hey Guys
I have a 1994 325i and my speedo needle bouncing. as soon as i move it goes to full and bounces back and forth. I replaced the speed sensor in the rear deferential with a used one that the owner swore worked.. Nope still bouncing.. Is there anything else i should be looking at. I'd hate to lay down a hundred bones for a new one and that's not the problem.
I unplugged the sensor and moved the car and it did not move at all..
stevehi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Steve420
2nd Gear Member

my pickup truck does the same thing after about 80kph the needle just wanders from 80-120 randomly.

at one point i got fed up with it took the dash apart and cleaned the back of the cluster, checked all the connections and put it back together. the connectors on that cluster are flimsy as hell and it only worked temporarily.

i would start there the e36 has much better connections on the cluster then my truck would suck to be throwing money away because of a loose wire.... a bad ground can also cause weird electrical gremlins.... could also be a bad cluster? but im unsure of a wy to check that other then trying another cluster and if the cluster you use has a mileage difference of 10k or more you will get a true mileage unknown dot on your cluster so unless you can find a cluster with similar mileage to your car id save that for last the e36 gauge cluster also has a fairly low failure rate i believe

Last edited by Steve420; 09-30-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Steve420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: