Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
passing on a double line isnt illegal...
Since when?
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
and iirc didnt axxe have the attitude of if you want to go faster just go around me? *which is bad*
obviously if you are side by side with a semi passing and someone is blocking you , you have no where to go. if you are taking your sweet time next to a semi on your own....(i never understood this at all)...step on it and move out of the way.
Nah, that's not my attitude at all. When you get caught behind someone passing a semi slowly, there is nothing you can do short of slowing down and going around them both. Or you just wait for them to finish the pass then pass them. You're thinking of Noodles101.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
-People keep 6-7 car distances in traffic that is moving 40 km\h or slower and get extremely MAD when they get honked at, or high beamed to move over
I don't know why this pisses people off. I do it all the time. When traffic is heavy I just keep a 5 or 6 car gap between me so I can just keep rolling and I don't have to clutch in every 5 seconds, I'm still moving at the pace of traffic, just not brake checking every 3 seconds like all the other idiots. Honestly it helps traffic keep moving if you drive like that and transport truck drivers appreciate it as well. What pisses me off is when people do the opposite of this. Traffic is slow and they just tailgate the person in front of them riding the brakes and brake checking every few seconds. It causes the person behind to break check even if it's not necessary and a chain reaction ensues where everyone is brake checking for no reason really. I do however love the pissed off looks I see in my rear view mirror, people get so mad that there's a gap in front of me "**** IF THIS ****ING GUY WASN'T HERE I COULD BE 5 CAR LENGTHS CLOSER TO BEING HOME!!" You want me to move over so that you can speed forward 5 car lengths and slam on your brakes and just end up travelling the exact same speed you were when you were behind me? lol gtfo
Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I don't know why this pisses people off. I do it all the time. When traffic is heavy I just keep a 5 or 6 car gap between me so I can just keep rolling and I don't have to clutch in every 5 seconds, I'm still moving at the pace of traffic, just not brake checking every 3 seconds like all the other idiots. Honestly it helps traffic keep moving if you drive like that and transport truck drivers appreciate it as well. What pisses me off is when people do the opposite of this. Traffic is slow and they just tailgate the person in front of them riding the brakes and brake checking every few seconds. It causes the person behind to break check even if it's not necessary and a chain reaction ensues where everyone is brake checking for no reason really. I do however love the pissed off looks I see in my rear view mirror, people get so mad that there's a gap in front of me "**** IF THIS ****ING GUY WASN'T HERE I COULD BE 5 CAR LENGTHS CLOSER TO BEING HOME!!" You want me to move over so that you can speed forward 5 car lengths and slam on your brakes and just end up travelling the exact same speed you were when you were behind me? lol gtfo
This is a piss off because of the gridlock that is created back down the line, mainly. People behind you aren't moving at all. if traffic is going 80, you are going 70 to allow for that gap, now the person behind you is going 60 with the same gap and then 50, and you can understand why we have the massive gridlock we do at times. Its because of these leisurely gaps in traffic. The gridlock infront of you is being caused by people who are doing what you are 10 to 20 cars ahead, so in a nutshell you are the problem to your own problem in traffic.

Don't get me wrong, keep a space, 2-3 cars is fine, heck you can drive with a 2 car space and not have to brake or clutch all the time or at all actually.( i do that all the time in the e36, stay in second and never brake or clutch. The sprinter is auto and it behaves like a manual, I seldom use the brakes with a 2 car gap, if ever) We are talking about traffic moving at 50-km and under. When you add 5 car + space, multiplied by a large quantity of cars, you get huge backups. The slower the people ahead accelerate, the larger the back up behind them, as speed drops when you add a large amount of cars together following each other.

I hope that made some sense ?

Last edited by 5style; 12-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

I am not asking you to tailgate, but be reasonable, if you are crawling at 40km an hr or less on the 401, you do NOT need a 5 car gap to decelerate in gear without clutching or braking. In my car that is under 3k on the tach in second gear which has a really good deceleration rate. Heck even 3rd gear will slow the car plenty with a 2 car space and i won t have to use the brake, or downshift.

Now, if you are distracted behind the wheel and not paying attention, then i guess i can understand why you need such large gaps to time your reactions.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Thoughts?
commrade 5style obviously the problem is you as there is nothing wrong with the triumphant united nations glory that is canaduh.

shame to you or any who finds fault in your fellow compatriots of our triumphant marxist glory. all praise to the glory that are our true & righteous leaders. and praise to the intellegencia that are our glorious road engineers.

the triumphant glory of our united nations 'TRAFFIC CALMING' progrom is perfection as it 'creates as sense of place & community' to question this is Almost criminal commrade!

god typing that made me pukish
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
commrade 5style obviously the problem is you as there is nothing wrong with the triumphant united nations glory that is canaduh.

shame to you or any who finds fault in your fellow compatriots of our triumphant marxist glory. all praise to the glory that are our true & righteous leaders. and praise to the intellegencia that are our glorious road engineers.

the triumphant glory of our united nations 'TRAFFIC CALMING' progrom is perfection as it 'creates as sense of place & community' to question this is Almost criminal commrade!

god typing that made me pukish
I lol'ed
Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
This is a piss off because of the gridlock that is created back down the line, mainly. People behind you aren't moving at all.
You specifically mentioned in traffic that is moving 40km/h and slower. In that sort of traffic conditions are already gridlock anyways. I spent a summer driving back and forth to Mississauga for work. I found that in the real slow traffic (stop and go) leaving a gap of close to 5 cars would allow me to almost never have to clutch in, which means that the cars behind me, if they aren't idiots should never have to stop either. Let's be honest, one of the most frustrating parts of traffic on the highway is when you are at a complete standstill. I'd rather be rolling at 10km/h than accelerating to 15 then braking to a stop every several seconds.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

I like how people drive in Quebec.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

Quote:
the problem with the newer civics is they changed the high beam on to a push forward(instead of pull back like it always was)...and the little mechanism which is in the switch is quite loose(if thats the right word.?!!?!) So when hitting the signal to turn right or left its very very easy to bump the stick forward and cause the highs to go on.
However it goes back to the oblivious part...people are so out of it they dont even know they did it nor what the blue light is on the dash...or what it means when its on.

Ive hit the highbeams by accident a few times in a new civic but I pay attention and usually noticed right away or very shortly after and turned them off.

and iirc didnt axxe have the attitude of if you want to go faster just go around me? *which is bad*
obviously if you are side by side with a semi passing and someone is blocking you , you have no where to go. if you are taking your sweet time next to a semi on your own....(i never understood this at all)...step on it and move out of the way.
ya the bright ass inner lights ( high beams ) .... deadly in my rear view mirrorrr
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
the problem with the newer civics is they changed the high beam on to a push forward(instead of pull back like it always was)...and the little mechanism which is in the switch is quite loose(if thats the right word.?!!?!) So when hitting the signal to turn right or left its very very easy to bump the stick forward and cause the highs to go on.
However it goes back to the oblivious part...people are so out of it they dont even know they did it nor what the blue light is on the dash...or what it means when its on.

Ive hit the highbeams by accident a few times in a new civic but I pay attention and usually noticed right away or very shortly after and turned them off.

yep this happens all the time on my parents fusion when Im driving it. I dont drive it often enough to get used to it so whenever im lane changing on the high way i somehow push it forward and it locks the beams on. I usualy notice quite soon after but its annoying. wonder how many people ive pissed off with this. it too is very loose and sticks easily forward to the lock position.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
This is a piss off because of the gridlock that is created back down the line, mainly. People behind you aren't moving at all. if traffic is going 80, you are going 70 to allow for that gap, now the person behind you is going 60 with the same gap and then 50, and you can understand why we have the massive gridlock we do at times. Its because of these leisurely gaps in traffic. The gridlock infront of you is being caused by people who are doing what you are 10 to 20 cars ahead, so in a nutshell you are the problem to your own problem in traffic.

Don't get me wrong, keep a space, 2-3 cars is fine, heck you can drive with a 2 car space and not have to brake or clutch all the time or at all actually.( i do that all the time in the e36, stay in second and never brake or clutch. The sprinter is auto and it behaves like a manual, I seldom use the brakes with a 2 car gap, if ever) We are talking about traffic moving at 50-km and under. When you add 5 car + space, multiplied by a large quantity of cars, you get huge backups. The slower the people ahead accelerate, the larger the back up behind them, as speed drops when you add a large amount of cars together following each other.

I hope that made some sense ?

Actually here is another problem with the new cars, cheap cars. The gas pedals are very weird. Family owned a Jetta, now it owns a Fusion. The gas pedal on the jetta was more sensitive and easy to get accustomed to. The gas pedal on the fusion is retarded out of wack. It takes a long time driving with these new cars and ****ed up gas pedals to get use to the stop and go driving.

I find it very difficult to time when to push and relase the gas pedal on the fusion vs when i was drivng the jetta. That and the car rolls like crazy. So you think you put enough gas as to not have to break but you end up putting to much. Or not enough and you have to gas again and then you're rolling too fast.

Whereas with the jetta the car rolled but it was easier to estimate where the momentum would die off and you would need to gas again, therefore reducing your breaking in those traffic jams and allowing you to keep a good distance.

ACtually I think one of the biggest problems on the high way that I notice is because of this. I can be cruising along and the car is rolling without me pushing the gas at all at 120 km/h for a good long while. The acceleration on the thing is so freaking weird and when I let go of the gas I never decelerate... so lets say im doing 120 km/h and iwant to slow down I CANT LET GO OF THE GAS becaus eI just keep rolling at 120 km/h for another 2 km/s so I need to break on the high way.

Whereas on the older cars you let go of the gas and you dont roll as long. e.g. id be cruising at 120 on the jetta, let go of the gas and id be down to 100-90km/h in not a very long distance.

so i think this is why there is alot more "break checking" going on now adays. Not because they want to scare you but because they are worried they are speeding and gonna get a ticket.

Aynway just saying hope this makes sense.

Last edited by sirex; 12-15-2011 at 07:11 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Actually here is another problem with the new cars, cheap cars. The gas pedals are very weird. Family owned a Jetta, now it owns a Fusion. The gas pedal on the jetta was more sensitive and easy to get accustomed to. The gas pedal on the fusion is retarded out of wack. It takes a long time driving with these new cars and ****ed up gas pedals to get use to the stop and go driving.

I find it very difficult to time when to push and relase the gas pedal on the fusion vs when i was drivng the jetta. That and the car rolls like crazy. So you think you put enough gas as to not have to break but you end up putting to much. Or not enough and you have to gas again and then you're rolling too fast.

Whereas with the jetta the car rolled but it was easier to estimate where the momentum would die off and you would need to gas again, therefore reducing your breaking in those traffic jams and allowing you to keep a good distance.

ACtually I think one of the biggest problems on the high way that I notice is because of this. I can be cruising along and the car is rolling without me pushing the gas at all at 120 km/h for a good long while. The acceleration on the thing is so freaking weird and when I let go of the gas I never decelerate... so lets say im doing 120 km/h and iwant to slow down I CANT LET GO OF THE GAS becaus eI just keep rolling at 120 km/h for another 2 km/s so I need to break on the high way.

Whereas on the older cars you let go of the gas and you dont roll as long. e.g. id be cruising at 120 on the jetta, let go of the gas and id be down to 100-90km/h in not a very long distance.

so i think this is why there is alot more "break checking" going on now adays. Not because they want to scare you but because they are worried they are speeding and gonna get a ticket.

Aynway just saying hope this makes sense.
Yeah i know this fact plays a huge role in the poor driving out there. New cars have what it seems like zero rolling resistance. I noticed this too. Usually they are rolling too fast and do not decelerate at all ( automatics). Luckily my sprinter brakes with the tranny like a manual.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #29
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
The main issue is that they have way too many new immigrants, but at the same time they don't want to invest in new highways and so on. The GTA is way behind with infrastructure. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I won't even bother of going on driving ethics.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #30
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Since when?
since always.

its merely a suggestion...im dead serious.

edit: http://www.motoringtv.com/kenzie-s-b...-line--p145126

look up the hta too. its not illegal.

sorry axxe.

Last edited by SiR; 12-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: