Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Gear oil? Pretty sure that's not what is supposed to be in that tranny
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
- New Amsoil gear oil 1 month ago. Brake fluid is 2 days old total flush 2x..
Here is your problem. Gear oil = no no in the winter in these trannys. They are designed for ATF. Buy some redline D4 (2 quarts) or RP synchromax, and your problems will go away. FYI the release bearing (aka throwout) doesn't touch any sort of spline at all. It sits on a pipe that covers the input shaft. Also, if you used the wrong gear oil (with friction modifiers, will say "OK for use in limited slips") then you have to get it out of there asap. The additive makes the synchros much less effective, and causes them to do the opposite of what they are supposed to do (match speed between cone and taper on dog gear) which in turn accelerates their wear.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's

Last edited by Axxe; 12-20-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

There are different kinds. That tranny is not from that car originally and it's the version that uses gear oil. I checked. It has the green sticker. The Amsoil synthetic has excellent low temp properties... I just doubt it's the oil.

It may not be the release bearing, it could be something internal to the transmission. It has all new shift linkage as of 1.5 years ago, with the z3 shifter. I'll get under there and spray the hell out of it and see what happens.

I notice if I pump the clutch a few times it shifts into gear easy. Almost like the clutch is sticking or somehow isn't disengaging. The only thing that could prevent that is the clutch components... which are fine, or the release arm/bearing which is the only other moving parts. If I used the wrong spline lube I think it could be thickening up and essentially locking the release bearing to the spline in cold weather.

At this point it's a minor annoyance.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 12-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
Axxe

If you aren't going to listen to advice then don't ask for it. Does it or does it not have friction modifiers in it? And for the second time, it does not sit on a spline, it sits on a smooth shaft. Do you understand how much force is in the clutch, especially in the release bearing? The only reason to lubricate the shaft and pivots is to prevent squeaking. That's it.

The only thing in a transmission that is temperature sensitive is the synchros, which is because of the oil. Doubt all you want, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that you grabbed regular gear oil for LSD use.

The reason it gets better with pumping the clutch is you are in effect double clutching, and bringing the internals up to speed by moving the input shaft. If this goes away when it's warm it's the synchros, if it stays constant no matter the temperature it's air in the slave.

Last edited by Axxe; 12-20-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Hey Axxe,

I listen to all advice, but I then process it. I'm still in the gathering and processing stage.

It's synthetic gear oil. On the Gear oil I think it says that it's okay for use with LSD differentials, I can double check later. So are you saying I need gear oil that's not good for LSD?

It's lazy getting into reverse even without the car running. I go to move the shifter into gear and it's bitchy, as in it doesn't want to go into gear. So I sometimes just jiggle the pedal up and down while I keep pressure on the shifter then it just slips in. I realize that it's a leveraged arm and should have sufficient force.

I have 6 litres of Amsoil ATF sitting around so I can use that but the transmission says use gear oil.

I believe it's this: http://www.oil-tech.com/long-life-gear-oil-75w-90.htm

I will try lubricating the shift linkage and see if that has any impact.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 12-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
Axxe

Yes, you need to use gear oil without friction modifiers, which means that it's not suitable for use in LSD without additional additives. Some gear oils don't specify either way, some say for use in gear boxes, hubs, etc. I found this out the hard way when I used some bulk shell rotrax gear oil I have and the transmission was pretty much un-shiftable until it warmed up. I'd recommend Redline 75-140 NS (make sure it says NS).

Last edited by Axxe; 12-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post

I would change the gear box fluid to redline or purple. it will clear up syncro problems and problematic shifting in cold weather. the bmw gear fluid isn't very user friendly with cold climates.
Ummmm...pretty sure the German's know cold weather start ups. But there are many aftermarket tranny oil with thinner additives to help reduce hard shifts during the winter months, such as RP and redline

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: