Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Release Bearing

I have a feeling that my release bearing/throwout bearing is not sliding on the splines very smoothly, when it gets cold the shifter is hard to actuate until it warms up... almost like there is a lag in the movement of that bearing. There is no noise, or shuddering, it works fine when warm.

Does anyone know that if I remove the cover plate off the trans bell housing should I be able to get a small paintbrush with some lube on it up onto the splines?

Figured I'd ask before trying.

If not... I wonder if drilling a 3/4" inspection hole in the bottom of the bell housing to lube it then putting a rubber plug in the hole after could be an option. I don't think it would hurt anything.

One thing for sure I'm not removing the whole transmission to lube a spline.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 12-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

the g260 doesnt have a detachable bell house. so you gotta pull that thing out completely.

either way the plate is very thing there is no way in hell you can get to that spline without 100% removal, and if you do you might as well put a nice new juicy bearing in there....something i should have done, 3 times...grrrrrr
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
sproule905
6th Gear Member

if your release bearing goes you'll hear a lovely high pitched screech.

I believe the clutch will have to be removed. unless I am confusing this with the throw-out bearing.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

It's not bad I believe in the cold it is not sliding on the splines... it's sticking. I have a spare trans, I'll take a look at it and see.

It's not like I can't drive it... but the first few shifts every day I need to double pump the clutch to get the thing in gear.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^^maybe its your clutch pedal not building up the pressure, check that too
Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

How old is your brake fluid?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
How old is your brake fluid?
This.

Also: release bearing just easily slides around on the spines, I don't see how anything but a worn one could cause problems. Unless you're approaching 0 degrees calvin, I can't see it shrinking THAT much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
0 degrees calvin

I'm interested in this also because my shifter is difficult to engage after I've released the clutch once. I have a spare bearing and transmission, but I'm not sure what the problem is.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Some things to test. Is your pressure plate worn out? Could be not getting enough clearance to pull it back into 1st. Go coast at speed in neutral, with the clutch in, put it into 2nd, then immediately into first and let the clutch out. Does that make it easier?

Another thing I was thinking is (obviously) the synchros. Does it have a faint whining noise when you do get it into 1st?

Could it be a clutch stop that is set too high? Try taking that out and testing for any change.

When is the last time you changed the tranny fluid?

How old is the shift carrier bushing (and the rest of the shifter bushings for that matter)?

The final (and most likely) issues is worn dog rings and synchronizer rings. That's something that I'd leave to the pros though.

Quote:

Last edited by MaxBell; 12-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Quote:
Some things to test. Is your pressure plate worn out? Could be not getting enough clearance to pull it back into 1st. Go coast at speed in neutral, with the clutch in, put it into 2nd, then immediately into first and let the clutch out. Does that make it easier?
- YES it goes into 1st easier once it's been in another gear. I replaced the ball and the spring on the lever... I don't really see how that lever could wear out, I mean the last I seen it it had some shiny spots where it touches the release bearing and the ball. My concern is that perhaps when I installed the release bearing I didn't apply enough grease to the input shaft spline and it's not sliding.

Quote:
Another thing I was thinking is (obviously) the synchros. Does it have a faint whining noise when you do get it into 1st?
- Sometimes when cold it has that 'going backwards' whine/chirping.

Quote:
Could it be a clutch stop that is set too high? Try taking that out and testing for any change.
- No it usually shifts at just past the 1/2 down mark on the clutch travel.

Quote:
When is the last time you changed the tranny fluid?
- New Amsoil gear oil 1 month ago. Brake fluid is 2 days old total flush 2x.

Quote:
How old is the shift carrier bushing (and the rest of the shifter bushings for that matter)?
1.5 years old along with a z3 2.8 shifter. all new shift linkage... it's a bit trickier than the stock shifter but I can tell a difference on a cold morning. Like something is sticking/not sliding.

Quote:
The final (and most likely) issues is worn dog rings and synchronizer rings. That's something that I'd leave to the pros though.
At this point I wouldn't be worrying about it, it's not that big of a problem since it goes away after it's warm, it's more of an annoyance every morning in the winter.

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 12-16-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
North
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post

Both of these describe my g260 well. I feel like I'm going to choose to live with it and let it slowly die rather than be proactive though.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

I have a cabrio with an extremely stiff shifter. I am not entirely sure if your problem is similar but I crawled under the car and sprayed the crap out of the linkage a good few times and it has gradually loosened up. So If I am mistaken please correct me. But how does the shifter have anything to do with the release bearing. I thought that was clutch related?

I would change the gear box fluid to redline or purple. it will clear up syncro problems and problematic shifting in cold weather. the bmw gear fluid isn't very user friendly with cold climates.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

tranny is coming out no way of cleaning the spline when u install it don't use alot of lube cause dirt will collect and hang it up
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Definitely not the release bearing, when it fails it makes noise when using the clutch pedal (whirring noise), if it gets stuck then the clutch pedal is extremely stiff or does not fully release, but that almost never happens. What kind of tranny fluid do you have in there? Try some nice synthetic atf.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #15
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Definitely not the release bearing, when it fails it makes noise when using the clutch pedal (whirring noise), if it gets stuck then the clutch pedal is extremely stiff or does not fully release, but that almost never happens. What kind of tranny fluid do you have in there? Try some nice synthetic atf.
Yep. I pretty much broke it in half, and it made a VERY loud high-pitched squealing noise whenever the clutch was pushed in.

Quote:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: