Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Driving rant

Hey guys, I got so frustrated today that I decided to come make a rant thread and perhaps share sympathies with fellow commuters.

As some of you know, I commute almost daily now with a work truck ( Mercedes Sprinter Dually) loaded with at least 2000lbs of scaffolding, tools and equipment.

I am increasingly becoming aware that the driving ethics around the GTA are on a massive decline.

-People merge in heavy traffic without signalling, or force their way in, often times not moving at speed and refuse to accelerate
-People ignore large vehicles and expect them to stop on a dime
-People drive upsurdly slow and under the speed limit, especially in rush hour.
-People keep 6-7 car distances in traffic that is moving 40 km\h or slower and get extremely MAD when they get honked at, or high beamed to move over
-Brake checking! Goes with the above statement as well as any other scenario where a driver gets upset for any reason. I ve been brake checked in the truck, under load, i ve even seen loaded Semis get brake checked
-Lack of courtesy , absolutely no respect for fellow motorists
-Lack of any proper road skill, can't merge, can't turn, can't avoid , can't time speed of other traffic, can't check blind spots
-Driving with NO night time lights in the dark, only DRLs ( just because the dash lights up, doesn't mean the tails do)
-The above in poor weather

The list goes on and on. It seems that the speeders are the only ones that get out of duck and vanish into the horizon, the rest seems to ALL be looking for a fight!!!

I don't get it, and now that I have a large commercial vehicle, it seems that its magnified?

So, are driving skills and ethics on a decline and everyone is getting licenses from a cereal box? Or has it been like this and I just never noticed??

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

always been like that.

the best is when I see people cut off truckers.

i blame the new cars they are making. Big cars are to cheap and everyone can afford them now. It's alot harder to drive a larger vehicle. The blind spots are more tricky.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Paraphrasing The Joker, people are only as decent as the conditions permit them to be. Right now, they're hard up, bombarded with negative news on a daily basis, some of their coworkers laid off, TV says they're next, prices are going up, their salary isn't etc etc. Commutes are getting longer due to larger populations around the GTA. It all adds up to people being stressed out and pissed off all the time. So keep that in mind, that you're driving in a sea of people freaked out of their minds, so give them room and let them go on their way.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Paraphrasing The Joker, people are only as decent as the conditions permit them to be. Right now, they're hard up, bombarded with negative news on a daily basis, some of their coworkers laid off, TV says they're next, prices are going up, their salary isn't etc etc. Commutes are getting longer due to larger populations around the GTA. It all adds up to people being stressed out and pissed off all the time. So keep that in mind, that you're driving in a sea of people freaked out of their minds, so give them room and let them go on their way.
I learned a long time ago that there is no point to getting mad behind the wheel but today was a special case, i ve gotten cut off, brake checked honked at like mad and more then 30 times in a 2 hour span and honestly I needed to let it out to other car fans, because if you tell anyone who does not appreciate cars, they think a car is a right and an appliance and that everything is peachy
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
lawls relax Konrad. You're only gonna get more of what you focus on. Keep your distance, and don't start beef, honking, etc.

I had to brake check a truck once...cause the bastard brake checked me. (No there was no traffic in front of him). Let's just say his face was priceless as he swerved away.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1993 BMW 525i - daily
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

driving in the gta is retarded.

The one word that sums up most of it imho is OBLIVIOUS

people are out to lunch, rude, and think they have the right of way.

The amt of cars for the road dont do any favours to the whole thing.
When I had to drive a work truck I surprisingly gave less of a care...hardly at all. But in recent yrs Im back to a typical commute and it can definitely be frustrating...even with the tunes blasting. There is just so much asshatery.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
driving in the gta is retarded.

The one word that sums up most of it imho is OBLIVIOUS

people are out to lunch, rude, and think they have the right of way.

The amt of cars for the road dont do any favours to the whole thing.
When I had to drive a work truck I surprisingly gave less of a care...hardly at all. But in recent yrs Im back to a typical commute and it can definitely be frustrating...even with the tunes blasting. There is just so much asshatery.
I agree, its actually funny how people are more concerned about trying to piss off what is in their mirror then concentrating on their own useless driving
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
blk3
4th Gear Member

useless is what i saw this morning. a lady merging with 401 morning traffic at less than mid first gear speed right in front of a semi. yes thats right maybe 10 km an hour right off the shoulder and in traffic. prostar.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

getting a little off topic but....
i hate retards who drive with high beams on the highway. -__-

HIGHway = HIGHbeam... u think thats their logic?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post

I see this all the time, you can flash them, honk, they do NOT clue in AT ALL that they are blinding everyone.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

The best is when you see a car approaching fast while making your own pass, and then the guy flashes you, while you have nowhere to go (passing 18wheeler following someone else passing as well). I can understand that you want me to move over, but do you really want me to slam on my brakes and jump behind the truck that I'm beside? Causing you to slam on your brakes too? I'm going as fast as I can go without being in the minivan's backseat. Also, I love when mouthbreathing pickup truck drivers try to brake check me, yeah bud, your f150 has better brakes than my car, and more power too.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
Daonhathai
2nd Gear Member

Drive a police cruiser, problem solved.
Daonhathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
325isdan
5th Gear Member

I now just blast around people, what double solid yellow lines, out of site out of mind.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
Daonhathai
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post

People in their current gen Honda civics are notorious for this (JDM tyte SI owners). Markham is generally bad for this too (IS250/350 driverS).

And on that note, non-projected HIDs piss me right the **** off.
Daonhathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

the problem with the newer civics is they changed the high beam on to a push forward(instead of pull back like it always was)...and the little mechanism which is in the switch is quite loose(if thats the right word.?!!?!) So when hitting the signal to turn right or left its very very easy to bump the stick forward and cause the highs to go on.
However it goes back to the oblivious part...people are so out of it they dont even know they did it nor what the blue light is on the dash...or what it means when its on.

Ive hit the highbeams by accident a few times in a new civic but I pay attention and usually noticed right away or very shortly after and turned them off.

passing on a double line isnt illegal...

and iirc didnt axxe have the attitude of if you want to go faster just go around me? *which is bad*
obviously if you are side by side with a semi passing and someone is blocking you , you have no where to go. if you are taking your sweet time next to a semi on your own....(i never understood this at all)...step on it and move out of the way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: