Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

If I had it to do over again in hindsight I would have pieced together Ground control coilover sleeves, short front inserts and camber plates. I went the H&R race route and they're great but on my low arch late model the rears are tucked nicely but there is still gap up front, I'm sure the SOHC 4 cylinder doesn't help that much.

My advice would be to research research research, and ask questions after to people who have done a sleeve type coilover conversion.

The H&R race and Bilsteins are great and worked well on the street and the track but its mainly a street car so I'm looking for a more aggressive drop. Hope that helps.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
Roysneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

JOM has a group buy going on over at R3VLimited.com.

They're like $300 shipped last time I looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
i agree with the guys, billy sports and some H&R springs should do the trick, turnermotorsport.com got some pretty decent package deals, check it out

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

I'm just saying that Ground Control coilover conversion isn't that much more than H R race and you can always upgrade your struts and shorten the housings later.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

I am on H&R/Bil combo pack and I'm only OK with it. It's certainly not low enough in the front. Ride is very good though. Just make sure you upgrade the strut mounts with it.

ALSO: Roysneon, can you use bilstien shocks with the GC sleeve conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

hey what do you guys think of bc coils, worth getting them? are they any good? does any1 on the site have them if so can u give me some feedback on them? all help would greatly be appreciated
mr_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

You can use Bilstein shocks with coilover sleeves, but they run out of internal travel before they look fully compressed, so they don't provide as much travel before they hit the internal stops and are more prone to bottoming out than even stock length Konis.

I would personally not use the BC, they just don't have the same R&D that E30 specific kits do, although they need less work on your end to install and put them together, I would personally go with a full Ground Control kit- bolts on and has lots of specific development for our cars. However, if you're just looking for 'Maximum low' and aren't so concerned with how the car handles, rides or if it breaks, then use whatever is cheapest and easiest.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
e30tOny
k-man

Racing Dynamics springs Stiffer and go lower than H&R sport

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148115

e30tOny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
Roysneon
2nd Gear Member

Just because the spring is shorter doesn't necessarily mean that they drop the car further. A stiffer rate means the springs won't compress as much; so to do a fair comparison you'd need a similar equipped, or ideally the same car with those springs installed to compare. Just sayin'.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
e30tOny
k-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysneon View Post
Just because the spring is shorter doesn't necessarily mean that they drop the car further. A stiffer rate means the springs won't compress as much; so to do a fair comparison you'd need a similar equipped, or ideally the same car with those springs installed to compare. Just sayin'.
It is a documented fact that R&D springs will make your car sit approximately 1/2" lower than H&R sport springs.The ONLY reason I am selling these springs, is because they are currently not installed on my car yet, and I need money at this time.

I will however agree that Ground Control coil-overs are the way to go, if you have an unlimited budget.

R&D springs make for a nice set-up when you add a set of Koni adjustable shocks. That will leave you with some cash to do other repairs or upgrades, possibly repair your seats.
By the way, I have some stock "perfect shape" grey cloth/black vinyl with piping bolsters, and also some brand new black skidoo vinyl bolsters with french seams [m3style], up for grabs.

Just sayin'

Last edited by e30tOny; 01-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.
e30tOny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Just to throw a wrench into both of your guys' arguments ... the newer style (grey) H&R Sports I found don't lower as much as the older H&R Sports used to... by old I mean the ones that were either blue or red.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30tOny View Post
I will however agree that Ground Control coil-overs are the way to go, if you have an unlimited budget.
AST 4200 kit for those with the unlimited budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: