Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

need help please

Hi I am new to the site and I need some help I have decided to keep my BMW E30 and I wanted to get some coilover's for it, can any one tell me what would be a good set up for it AND where can I find them, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance
mr_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The answer to this question will vary depending on the reason why you are looking to get coilovers (to slam the car? for a track car?) and how much money you are willing to spend.

What are your goals?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

Hey I'm looking for coilovers so I can slam my car, I'm not going to track it at all, and money wise as much as I have to I guess I'm workin at a mecahnic shop right now so I can install the coilovers myself
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

try "JOM" coil overs - they are relatively cheap - 400-500 range maybe ship incl. good reviews on them for what they are compared to spending double if not more. I would seriously consider these for my car if I go that route.

a write up from another site:

Price & Shipping - Perfectly fair. It came much faster than I thought it would and it's 420 dollars for shocks and springs. Not much to complain about here.

Packaging - Fair but not great. Items are wrapped in paper and can move around so most of the paper was torn. One shock had popped out the end but upon arrival was back inside. There was no damage or chipped paint or the like. Not a huge problem but the box is huge compared to what shipped. Could save on packaging but I imagine the box is used for every coilover system they offer so say for an E36 you would get two complete struts and rear shocks.

Quality - Value is the word I would start with here. You can tell these shocks are not Bilstein Sports. One with any sense would imagine this would be the case based on the price but wanted to get that out here. Springs appear to be of good quality and the paint on everything was well done. The adjusters are definitely cheaper metals and the threads are sharp. Lowest quality pieces of the set are the adjusters(more below). Shocks rebound and go up as normal. No dead spots, catches or dodgey operation.

Installation - This is trick! No modification is necessary. I am sure most reading this have installed shocks on the E30. If not the shock goes inside the strut housing. It is held in with a threaded collar. You remove the OEM collar and the replacement is threaded from JOM. The shock fits perfect into the housing and you tighten down the new collar. The trick part? The new coilover sleeve now simply screws onto this. See photos below. All fit perfect. Zero issues.

Adjust-ability(split into two parts) - Front - Crazy the level of adjustment. From my estimation you can go from stock ride height(or maybe higher) down to the point that you cannot even drive the car. I started halfway on the adjuster and it was almost tucking 14" basketweaves. Way too low for my uses. I raised it back up almost an inch and like it at that ride height.

Rear - Not all that great. As many have said if you have a small bumper/late model car just running the rear spring should work out great. On an early model car don't even worry about trying it with the adjuster. There will be rear gap... with no adjuster. If you want to SLAM the car the fronts will be fine but you will want to get another rear spring for sure. Still if you need 2 rear springs at 180-200 dollars plus 420... the pricing is not bad.

Now to the downside here. Fronts are difficult to adjust. Why? With the lower rear spring perch and the shock installed up into the strut tower there is not much room to work. This is where the quality level comes into play. It is easy to damage and mar up the adjusting collar with the tool provided. It took a good amount of time and effort to raise the front. Worth it in the end. The other issue and one you will want to watch out for is the threaded collar we discussed before that holds in the shock? Well it can and will start to back out as you adjust up. It would be best to get the ride height set out of the car... to not deal with this. If it loosens you will have clunks as the shock moves inside the housing. Fair warning.

Ride Quality - This was the most surprising thing. It is quite good. I will say that just pushing down side by side with an IE3/Bilstein Sport car the JOMs are stiffer with what seems like higher initial valving on the shocks. Over rough terrain it is a little bouncy but hard to complain all things considered. I was super happy with the ride quality. Most surprising thing was the ride quality... and everyone that rides and drives the car comments on this.

Performance - It's better than stock. It's not better than IE3/Bilstein sport or other performance setups. I have driven my previous E30 on IE3/Bilstein Sport and then custom Ground Controls. Both were more confidence inspiring. These you learn on them and they stiffen up and you power through the corner. Are they bad? No. Are they great? No.

Final Thoughts - This setup is awesome when you consider the price, adjust-ability and what you receive. If you are looking for adjustable ride height on your daily driven that you like to toss around I would have no issue recommending this setup. It is great for that. I am 100% happy that I tested them out and a local friend of mine is purchasing them(along with my eBay camber plates I purchased). I am going to tuck my exhaust more and then run some custom coilovers. Since performance was what I was seeking first and foremost I want to run on something I know the results of and don't want to be messing with suspension.

Verdict? Daily Driver that you want to lower the car? Enjoy...

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 12-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

hey thanks this helps alot
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

just get bilstein sport shocks, and some sort of spring that low. its not a race car u dont need coils.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Ceeker

billy's and springs are gonna cost around a grand new...

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
billy's and springs are gonna cost around a grand new...
Ok cool and where would I be able to find billy's and springs?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
voluted
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_ak View Post
Ok cool and where would I be able to find billy's and springs?
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/549

You won't find cheaper and faster shipping from the U.S. and you won't find them that cheap in Canada. This kit doesn't actually fit the M3, so not to worry there, it's only an error in their listing title.
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

I have JOM coilovers on my car, for DD its perfect. its a firmer ride than stock, but not jarring over every bump. Ive had them on since april and nothings broken yet and its seen 3 track days. i dont expect the shocks to last long tho. Id recommend them.
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluted View Post

You won't find cheaper and faster shipping from the U.S. and you won't find them that cheap in Canada. This kit doesn't actually fit the M3, so not to worry there, it's only an error in their listing title.
this is a great buy and they are a matched set - valved to match the springs.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluted View Post

infact!
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/matc...ocks-c346.aspx

VAC motorsports has the same kit for 700, this is what I got for my car and its awesome, it wont slam your car but it will lower it a bunch, for just the dampers I think its a pretty good price
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
voluted
2nd Gear Member

Yes, but VAC charges ~$130 for shipping, and that doesn't include duty and brokerage fees. Call FCP and they will price match VAC and their shipping is ~$80 which includes duty and brokerage fees. I bought mine when they had a 15% off sale (cyberweek) and ended up paying $716 shipped then. However, it looks like both the initial price of the kit and the shipping cost has gone up since I bought mine .

Actually, call them and see if they can match the price of my order. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it.

Proof:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fcp bts.jpg (223.8 KB, 133 views)
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
mr_ak
1st Gear Newbie

hey thanks for all the info guys this helps alot, what do u guys think of the h&r sport cup kit 2.1" drop in the front and a 1.7" drop in the rear, if i go this route will i have any issues with my oil pan?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

^ unless you have a 24 valve oil pan...NO. my oil pan sits like 1.5" off the ground...and i only cracked it open once cuz i drove into a huge rock i never saw. Note: my e30 is reaaaaaaaaal low

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: