Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Doh, there is a guy selling a E39 540i/6 tranny for $600 in the classifieds

Worst time of the year to be dropping more money AFTER buying a car.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
doh, there is a guy selling a e39 540i/6 tranny for $600 in the classifieds :d

worst time of the year to be dropping more money after buying a car.
do it
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
jmack
2nd Gear Member

I got a good look under the car today at Competition Motors in Belleville, they are a Audi/VW shop mainly but deal with all imports. The owner Eric was pretty familiar with the BMWs as they probably service anyone in the Belleville area.

Some issues to deal with, the transmission coolant line was rusted, RR brake line rusted, there is a broken sensor that was missing a link to the lower control arm on the passenger side, Eric said it was part of the headlight leveling system, there is a sensor at both the front and rear. I'm pretty sure it got blown away from driving in snow, as the PO had to get his temp sensor replaced 3 times in that area. This is the assembly here:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...65&hg=31&fg=05

I think I need the parts for the sport suspension.

These need to be replaced, everything else suspension wise checked out:

Brake line:

Transmission Coolant Line:

On the way home again I got the smoke/burning smell in the cabin again, after passing a vehicle then braking for a while... Can't figure out WTF it is yet, I can't find any wires pulled apart the DME, LCM etc looking for any signs of damage but nothing there... Car throws no codes, nothing dies, although I pulled over right away and shut the car down. One question I have is there is a vent behind the passenger carpet which is sorta covered by a wire loom, anyone know what this is and where it comes from?

Mark, what shape were your transmission coolant lines in when you replaced the heat exchanger?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
///Mmm
Need an s85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
How do you go about finding the purchase/sale options that came on the car?
Or go to a BMW dealership with the vin number in question and ask the guys at the service department and they will print you the build sheet for free

Congrats on the purchase
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #20
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Mark, what shape were your transmission coolant lines in when you replaced the heat exchanger?
The lines that connect to the transmission was rusted, prolly from the heat, I left it as it was not leaking and seemed strong enough.

Check the wiring under the carpet in the passenger foot well and under the seat for corrosion. One of my 7 series buddies had a fire start in that area due to corrosion,... almost caught the car on fire which was in the garage at the time.

Last edited by MLue1; 12-23-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: forgot comment on smoke/smell
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
The lines that connect to the transmission was rusted, prolly from the heat, I left it as it was not leaking and seemed strong enough.

Check the wiring under the carpet in the passenger foot well and under the seat for corrosion. One of my 7 series buddies had a fire start in that area due to corrosion,... almost caught the car on fire which was in the garage at the time.
Thanks, I will look further there. What I did see was pretty clean but I need to remove more of the carpet to get a better look.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #22
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

It could be the ignition switch as well, like all German cars they run too many connections through that part. IMO the ignation switch should be changed out if it is not on the PO list of replaced parts, as they cause all kinds of gremlins.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #23
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Haven't gotten the bad burning smell at all, only somewhat faint here and there on a trip to Toronto and back, ~350km.

I did find that a windshield fluid hose came loose and I pumped a ton of fluid into the hood pad, then onto the back of the engine when I opened the hood. Looks like a problem area that was never properly addressed, the replacement tubing is not the correct size so during expansion/contraction in the weather it comes loose and probably drips alot of fluid. I also went through a ton of washer fluid in a matter of a few days, so I need to fix the tubing to ensure it's not leaking at all.

Maybe it was that in larger quantities hitting the manifold when the car pitches forward... I'll have to burn some on my hotplate and see what it smells like. Could believe it if it pooled in a cavity in the hood then came out all at once.

Last edited by jmack; 12-27-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Wow I put trunk instead of hood...
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
momax_powers
2nd Gear Member

you dont necesarily need a wagon....i love the look of ur old e39...i'd say buy the same thing and be more picky. A sedan is a pretty good family car.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #25
momax_powers
2nd Gear Member

nvm..i made the rookie mistake of not reading the entire thread....even though i dont know you and what you do has no consequence to my life...i still wished u buy the sedan but thats just my dislike of any station wagon...hope all goes well.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momax_powers View Post
nvm..i made the rookie mistake of not reading the entire thread....even though i dont know you and what you do has no consequence to my life...i still wished u buy the sedan but thats just my dislike of any station wagon...hope all goes well.
E39 wagon=VERY VERY SEXY!!! But thats just IMO...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg touring34.jpg (87.8 KB, 2170 views)
File Type: jpg sommer1.jpg (199.3 KB, 1374 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4816.jpg (321.6 KB, 1313 views)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #27
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Damn M-package tourings

Is the third one the only M5T that was made??? Never seen it before. Looks like it's the same color as mine.

But yeah I wasn't going to buy another sedan, after driving a Pathfinder for a couple years you get used to the idea of folding seats and the extra cargo room, so I'm all for the wagon.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Took it out in the snow today, it actually feels a lot more confident than my Pathfinder, although the truck doesn't have snow tires just 2 year old 'all seasons'. We don't get salt where I live only sand.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Called the dealer in Ottawa, they are going to mail me the 56 pages of service history. That should fill in the gaps I have
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #30
momax_powers
2nd Gear Member

the 3 pics posted by eurostyle are eating away at my dislike for wagons

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: