Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #46
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

fun game.

My first car was a white 240sx with an SR20 transplant. I bought it in rough shape, with a lot of the main work done, but a fair bit taken out and put back to old worn stock equipment and most of the life squeezed out. This car has lots of potential, but it cost an arm and a leg to get a safety and I was naive enough to think I could build it into something and be boy drifter (you may notice some themes that I am having a hard time shaking haha). Potential yes, but this thing was plain scary to drive fast with 300 000 km boat suspension and the worst tires I could get my hands on for safety (and soon bald)

After it had been benched for a while (and I came back from a year in Calgary working), I needed a car again for work, so I started weighing options. For reference, this is last spring. Now I knew that although practical price wise, I didn't want a FWD car, in the same way I wouldn't want an auto. At the time, I had only been back a while and was considering working in northern Ontario. Given the commute and weather that could be involved, I was thinking about something good in winter, new enough to be reliable, and fun enough to drive for a few track days here and there (still haven't gone once yet haha..ughh) Anyway, a good friend of mine has and loves a 99 328i sport pack. Although admittedly a good car, it felt like trying to drive a spaceship to me because it was so different from everything I've driven which has been Japanese, including parent's vehicles.

I got sucked into the illusions of all wheel drive when I found a WRX well below market value (yes, I know...didn't learn the lesson the first time). It needed a couple things, but still below average, I thought I found great deal I always want to find. A whole whack of stuff needed to be done that was unexpected by myself and the mechanics I had look it over before buying. Long story short, in the air of replacing, I decided to incorporate some upgrading, so it's not for waste. I convinced myself of a few more necessities, as well as a few more financial crap outs on other fronts, and by the end of last summer, I had a quick WRX, a strong desire to get married, and a crapload of debt that I just spent the year before out of province to pay off.

This car was pretty beastly in a straight line, and really fun around corners. Part of the fun sadly is because of how reckless everything felt, although not super fast.
Disclaimer> I did not pay attention to tire pressures the way I do now, and having felt how much difference tire pressure accounts for in this car, I can't help but wonder how many of my problems were tire pressure related by the way it reacted.

I will say that in really, really tight, twisty stuff, I can't imagine a car being more fun than that though.

I sold it this fall at pretty much what I paid for it with a poor clutch and multiple thousand dollar pile of mods sitting waiting for the next guy to appreciate.

I bought this car with the mechanics sounds, and much of the older car maintenance work done for a great price from Verbovsky this summer, and put it on the road around when the Subie sold. It's impressive how little money it has taken to make considerably more fun and quick, but my history is the reason I am trying to be overly cautious about where I spend (PS, same story before cars with mountain and BMX bikes...I have thousand and thousands of $ of stuff sitting around still that I need to sell off); not to mention wanting to get married as soon as I can swing it.

Wow that got long quick...late night posting for ya, props for finishers.

And PS...I should have listened to my friend last spring and bought the BM instead of the subaru! I would have a brutally fast car AND be almost debt free.
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #47
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
ok, well I don't doubt for a second that I'd feel the difference, I'm just wondering how much it'll make for grip in and out of corners. my last 2 cars both had lsds, and I can take a corner as fast or faster (yet still below legal limits of course) with the 328 on motomaster 15's than I could with either of them, so I"m just trying to guess at new limits(I haven't actually driven it hardly in warm weather yet). I'm all for more grip, I'm just curious how much more could be mustered by this.
You won't notice any difference in grip on the street. It will only become apparent when you lift the inside wheel.

The LSD does two things, it will keep the inside tire from spinning, and it will increase the rpm keeping the engine in the power band. For my money it is the best mod you can do.

Look you have it, stick it in drive it see if you like it. If you don't pull it out. First time you do this it may take a few hours, second time it's an hour job.

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I will contest to doing the reinforcement plates before it goes wrong..... I had to weld the mounts back into the car , its not fun!!!!

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=134007&page=4
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
hemi_fan
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
hmm, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I changed plugs and car was running like crap. gapped them and reinstalled (and did oil change) and it's better overall (than before I changed), but every once in a while I'll still have a bit of roughness on initial idle in cold and I even had a missfire for a couple of minutes on monday. Other than that she's been feeling solid.

Any ideas what might be going on?

thanks for the thoughts.

PS, I'm considering selling the LSD because I've been totalling cost after mounts, bushings, fluids (pI'm just assuming I'd need a fluid change) plus what I've paid for it, and I'm starting to question if it's worth it, given the car's worth/my wallet. I don't love the ratio or the openness of it, but what is everybody's thoughts as far as lsd (3.15) vs 2.93 open; worth it?
Good thread. I bought a 323is last year and I'm going through the same issue... what should I upgrade for a street/lapping car.

When I picked up my car it had a brutal misfire. I swapped out the plugs and it helped a bit but only temporarily. I later figured out that the spark plug boots were arcing to the head causing the miss. I installed new boots and put dielectric grease in them and it solved the misfire. If you didn't use dielectric grease I highly recommend trying it.

Otherwise I'm curious to see how your car progresses. I already have a bunch of lapping experience in my 5.0L mustang (and still plan to use that for lapping) but I'd like to see how different the 3-series feels on the track. The plan is for me to bring the 5.0 and my girlfriend to drive the 323is to Cayuga this summer so I can lap both
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #50
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

thanks Dave, well put; and like you said, it wouldn't take that long to swap it for the trial and then I know and can track gas mileage difference and get a feel for it. But with this most recent dump, not this weekend for sure.

somber words Ritchie, you know that's not what I like to hear haha

haha a man with a plan right here, thats awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on the boots/dielectric grease, I thought it was sorted but just today the check engine light's back on (don't have time to borrow/check code reader today)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #51
cormier
6th Gear Member

Aw a little snow gonna get in the way of your car dreams? We're workin today around the corner!

BECAUSE RACE CAR.

But ya, do the lsd. And stop by sometime so I can check out your motor and not put mine together backwards

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #52
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

haha fair enough, I'm sure we can work it out! Wouldn't want it to go in backwards or anything
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #53
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

-Update-

I think things are sorted now. I changed the plugs again, and that helped, but something was still off, so I did some more reading and digging, and found that one of my 3/4 vacuum lines had developed a kink because it was under too much tension (not quite lined up) so I fixed that, and that helped...and then I took off the fuel rail for any possible gaps and found that one of the little plastic caps that I had to replace on the ends of my injectors wasn't quite seated on straight. Success!

-Each fix did make a noticeable different but you could still tell something was off. After I felt like monkeying around so I swapped out my fans for a high flow electric that I got off Rich. Right now I just have it so that I just turn on the AC to turn the fan on, but eventually I should get a proper set up so it just comes on automatically when it needs too, but that'll have to wait.

I did notice something weird in there - my rad has what looks like an extra rad in front of it. I haven't looked into it yet, but it sounded like an (auto) tranny rad to my buddy. I'll check it out, but if it is maybe I'll delete that when I do my coolant flush, since I shouldn't need that with a manual right? I've never seen one of these before, but I'll definitely do some reading before getting rid of anything.

Part 2. the update, I got an alignment from Scott at Canalignment and only have great things to say. It was badly needed, and I would recommend him to anyone who hasn't heard of him yet (probably not many here).

and 2nd lastly....my 5 series wheels/tires are not looking like they're going to fit. I got the fronts on when my hubcentric rings came in, and clearance was a definite issue - between the lower offset and taller ride height (225/55/16), I don't think there is any way I can make it work, so anyone with a 5 series, brand new Conti extremecontact DW's on or off rims! haha, shameless plug over, but later on in the spring/summer I'll probably be searching for a new set of wheels or tires since these bad moto's on steel 15's are killin' me!

Lastly....just got a speeding ticket cruising on the Linc. Bummer! Be warned, especially people around hamilton area. Really, it was nice weather near the end of the month, I should have been more careful, but still. Anyways, thats it for now, I hope everyone's doing all right.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #54
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
-Update-
I did notice something weird in there - my rad has what looks like an extra rad in front of it. I haven't looked into it yet, but it sounded like an (auto) tranny rad to my buddy. I'll check it out, but if it is maybe I'll delete that when I do my coolant flush, since I shouldn't need that with a manual right? I've never seen one of these before, but I'll definitely do some reading before getting rid of anything.
Are you sure you're not looking at your air conditioner condenser/radiator? On most cars the AC condenser is located in front of the coolant radiator.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

hmm...that is probably exactly what I'm looking at then-that would make a lot more sense.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #56
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya rad is for the AC! Congrats on getting it runnin well! Speeding tickets are bummers for sure! Friggin Hamilton...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #57
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

still had a small vacuum leak so I took off intake manifold/everything and cleaned it all up and put a gasket maker just on the homemade junctions (ie throttlebody spacer to manifold, and that stupid clip in connector opposite to that that always wants to come out/not seal well) and after letting it cure for 24 hours, my first boot around feels like the torque is back to where it should be. Oh happy days. Now...back to studying for midterms this week like I SHOULD have been doing instead of that haha. I hope everyone's projects are going well.

Happy Passover!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #58
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

hm, a poster here is selling pilots (225/50/16) (on rims) for a good price. There is bad toe wear on the fronts, but if I were to mount them so that the wear is on the inside on the back wheels, think I'd loose that much grip if tracking? I suppose the effective contact patch would shrink, just trying to figure out by how much in real world, since they are such a good price

any experience or thoughts?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #59
cormier
6th Gear Member

Do you need tires? If not I say save your money

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #60
dcramer
5th Gear Member

On the other hand if you are going to track the car they would be excellent as most of the wear on the track will be on the outside. If they are cheap enough consider them consumable and use them on the track
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328, e36, track, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: