Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the continued advice. [i] still have no internet at home, so I'm only checking here in the classifieds to see if some wheels/tires or race brake pads come up, but in 2 months I'll be doing school for my apprenticeship so the internet is going to have to get set up before that.

I I got a little ancy lately, so I've started the m50 manifold swap. I say started because I came across some issues, but I'm planning on putting it all back together again this week again and hopefully it'll be good this time.

New plan for the year includes hope for more work after day job, doing reno's and odd jobs with a good friend of mine, so staying busy will help me not get ancy and start buying things that I don't need (and can't afford) and will help towards the cause/s down the road. I probably won't have a lot of exciting things to talk about too often on here (or even get on here much), but for the greater good and all that.

I hope everyone's enjoying the weather, it's been an awesome winter so far!
BrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

alright, car is together and running strong! Woooh!
Still not loving these long gears, but it feels a lot better so far, and it'll come in time. I changed plugs on Saturday and a bit of basic maintenance stuff, which help response a bit as well.

I got nervous because for a short while yesterday, I started missing and got an engine code, but I ran an injector cleaner and I'm thinking maybe just got a gob of that since it was very shortly after that/fuel up, and hasn't happened since.

Oh, and clutch stop. That should have been factory, but anyways.

I found somebody selling some Continential extreme contact dw's on some 16" style 66 reps for around $500 on Friday night. The tires were literally brand new (driven twice) so I picked them up the next day. I never thought I'd get reps, but I bought it mainly for the tires, and lets be honest, it's not like I can be this cheap and that fussy. They turned out to be a surprisingly decent weight so that's a bonus.

My only concern is that they are 225/55/16 which is a slightly taller ride height than is meant for, so I'm just hoping I don't have any clearance issues that can't be over come.

PS, I'll need hubcentric rings (as they're for a 5 series) so if anyone is selling, I'll be looking.

PPS, I hate all this salt and dirt all over It looks awful haha, oh well, it's supposed to rain tomorrow
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

hmm, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I changed plugs and car was running like crap. gapped them and reinstalled (and did oil change) and it's better overall (than before I changed), but every once in a while I'll still have a bit of roughness on initial idle in cold and I even had a missfire for a couple of minutes on monday. Other than that she's been feeling solid.

Any ideas what might be going on?

thanks for the thoughts.

PS, I'm considering selling the LSD because I've been totalling cost after mounts, bushings, fluids (pI'm just assuming I'd need a fluid change) plus what I've paid for it, and I'm starting to question if it's worth it, given the car's worth/my wallet. I don't love the ratio or the openness of it, but what is everybody's thoughts as far as lsd (3.15) vs 2.93 open; worth it?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Why do you need mounts and bushings. Just put the diff in.

It is by far the easiest 7.5% HP gain you will ever get.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

I briefly considered it at first, but everyone I've asked so far has advised me not to do without new gear oil, subframe bushings and reinforcement plates (I have 2 of the 3 mounts for the diff itself alteast) if I install. I like the idea, and considered just skipping the plates and just repairing it if there is a problem, but I figured oil and bushings would still add up to what I've already paid (but could recover in spring)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
dcramer
5th Gear Member

This is a 328 ? 180 HP ? I wouldn't worry about it
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
cormier
6th Gear Member

You've got the LSD already? Ya put it in man! Change the oil sure but if the bushing is alright and you won't be drifting for 8 hours a day you should be ok on the stock one

Once you change the diff once, doing it again if you want to do the bushing / subframe later on will be easier

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

All bushings, mounts and the subframe mounting points should be checked thoroughly and replaced/repaired if worn regardless of the Diff you have. Especially the subframe mounting points and especially if you still plan on hitting the track.

The 3.15 differential will not make a dramatic difference over the 2.93, besides being an LSD, so it will be better in the winter. Aside from that you prolly won’t even notice. With 328 power levels your lucky if you even notice the difference at the track.

If it were me, in retrospect of everything I have done to my car, stick to the important stuff first. What good is a little extra power if stuff like bushings and subframe issues are holding you back from using it.

That being said, if the subframe comes out, I wouldn’t even think twice about welding in plates and putting in solid bushings. But not everything comes apart when you swap diff's.

..and yes your right, that car will be a money pit. Most of what you’ll spend you will never get back, so weigh your options carefully if you don’t have money to throw away.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #39
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I happen to disagree with this on a couple of points.

1) this is an immediate 7.5 % effective power increase, which is probably 10HP at the wheels, very hard to buy cheaper.

2) Not so important on a big track like Mosport, but on smaller tracks the open diff will just spin in tight corners where the LSD will not.

Regardless of the diff if you need new bushings you need em, but probably just RTABS. Buy stock RTABS an limiters.

If it were me I'd throw the diff in, in fact I've done it on a previous 328, made a world of difference.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
sb_600
5th Gear Member

^ while it will feel faster, It actually does not INCREASE the power, just changes the delivery.

I also disagree with Discostar - LSD>open in any case. if you have it, do it. You will feel a difference on track, and especially in autoX if you chose to do some.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
dcramer
5th Gear Member

it changes the "effective" power, it will actually be faster.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
I happen to disagree with this on a couple of points.

1) this is an immediate 7.5 % effective power increase, which is probably 10HP at the wheels, very hard to buy cheaper.

2) Not so important on a big track like Mosport, but on smaller tracks the open diff will just spin in tight corners where the LSD will not.

Not sure where I mentioned anything about cost vs performance gain in what I said... I was talking about safety and practicality.

I also never said anything about an LSD being worse then an open diff. I actually said the opposite. I just ment he prolly shouldn’t expect anything special to happen after the install. Of course there is a difference.

If he has the diff I'm not suggesting he sell it. But for a car that’s almost always daily driven with one or two track days, the change won’t be drastic in performance. Many people (including myself) run an open diff and have no issues on smaller tracks like TMP and Shannonville with stock power levels. Unless you’re running motomasters for tires or use the throttle like an on/off switch, you have more then enough grip to handle the sub 195hp of a 325/328. A friend of mine just swapped to the 3.23LSD this winter and after driving his car, it was noticeable, but unless you make a big change like 2.93 to 3.91 the only major factor is the LSD.

AutoX is a different story.

Last edited by Discostar; 02-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
cormier
6th Gear Member

By my comment I wasn't saying the subframe and bushings aren't important, just that they're important no matter the diff.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #44
BrianM
2nd Gear Member

ok, well I don't doubt for a second that I'd feel the difference, I'm just wondering how much it'll make for grip in and out of corners. my last 2 cars both had lsds, and I can take a corner as fast or faster (yet still below legal limits of course) with the 328 on motomaster 15's than I could with either of them, so I"m just trying to guess at new limits(I haven't actually driven it hardly in warm weather yet). I'm all for more grip, I'm just curious how much more could be mustered by this.

this also has me questioning the importance of tires as far as street tires go, especially unless spending big dollars on super stick stuff, or maybe the last cars were poorly set up or the BM is just a better driving car. Not saying they don't matter, but it just has me wondering how much, especially if comparing similar diameters.

On the plus, the owner before me recently did RTABs, so if I just do oil that would be more reasonable. I know I can get a little carried away when I start thinking of all the new and shiny things that are available, but regardless I know I'll have fun with the car whatever I do or don't do to her.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #45
cormier
6th Gear Member

What were your last cars?

Tags
328, e36, track, wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: