Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #391
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Does the CSL airbox require a different tune (ie alpha n)? Curious how the CSL box works on the S54

..been debating a CSL-style box for my S50B30EU but dont really want to run alphaN..

Also - I just read through the entire thread - awesome work.

Last edited by JJJames; 02-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.
JJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #392
Steve30
Techno Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
Does the CSL airbox require a different tune (ie alpha n)? Curious how the CSL box works on the S54

..been debating a CSL-style box for my S50B30EU but dont really want to run alphaN..

Also - I just read through the entire thread - awesome work.
This setup requires alpha-n. Why are you against running an alpha-n tune? They've been refined quite a bit. I don't think the OEM E46 M3 runs an alpha-n tune but it also has a few extra sensors that allow it to do this.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #393
JJJames
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
This setup requires alpha-n. Why are you against running an alpha-n tune? They've been refined quite a bit. I don't think the OEM E46 M3 runs an alpha-n tune but it also has a few extra sensors that allow it to do this.
Well, I'm not against it necessarily, maybe wary is a better term. Its a daily-driven car that does a lot of miles in the summer, and I've heard the alpha-n tune for the S50B30+carbon is less reliable/stable, etc than the S54.

As I understand it, there has been a lot of effort put in to finding a decent alpha-n for the S54 (by shops like Evolve) but not so much for the old S50B30 (understandably). Did Stance do your tune?

Last edited by JJJames; 02-13-2014 at 04:14 PM.
JJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #394
Steve30
Techno Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
Well, I'm not against it necessarily, maybe wary is a better term. Its a daily-driven car that does a lot of miles in the summer, and I've heard the alpha-n tune for the S50B30+carbon is less reliable/stable, etc than the S54.

As I understand it, there has been a lot of effort put in to finding a decent alpha-n for the S54 (by shops like Evolve) but not so much for the old S50B30 (understandably). Did Stance do your tune?
My alpha-N tune is from Frank Smith at http://www.tuningtechfs.com/
I'm extremely pleased with the tune. Maybe you could contact him. I'm not sure if he tuned the euro engines but its worth a shot.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #395
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

interior wot vid no loading.
who cares if there is snow. do eettt naow
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #396
Steve30
Techno Viking

Finally after a year of research and contemplating I bit the bullet and ordered a conversion kit for my KW' V3's from HP Autowerks. Harold from HPA has been a great help with answering my questions and is very knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions. I went with their swift conversion kit. http://www.hpashop.com/KW-Swift-Spri...on-e36-e46.htm I've been wanting to ditch the progressive rear setup for a while now and ended up going with 560lb front and 728lb rear spring rates. Based on the wheel rate conversions for the E36 this is a pretty solid match in my opinion. I know some of you are going to say this is too much spring for the V3's but they should be fine for a little while. I'll eventually have the shocks custom valved to match the rates. I've heard nothing but good things from people who have switched to linear rear springs so I can't wait to do the conversion. Hopefully it will be ready for the spring cruise *fingers crossed*

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #397
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
Finally after a year of research and contemplating I bit the bullet and ordered a conversion kit for my KW' V3's from HP Autowerks. Harold from HPA has been a great help with answering my questions and is very knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions. I went with their swift conversion kit. http://www.hpashop.com/KW-Swift-Spri...on-e36-e46.htm I've been wanting to ditch the progressive rear setup for a while now and ended up going with 560lb front and 728lb rear spring rates. Based on the wheel rate conversions for the E36 this is a pretty solid match in my opinion. I know some of you are going to say this is too much spring for the V3's but they should be fine for a little while. I'll eventually have the shocks custom valved to match the rates. I've heard nothing but good things from people who have switched to linear rear springs so I can't wait to do the conversion. Hopefully it will be ready for the spring cruise *fingers crossed*

Nice. I switched to a linear spring last year on my e36 (KW clubsports), but just bought the linear racing springs from KW - it was WAY cheaper than getting the swift kit

I went with an 800lb rear to go with the 675 lb front and so far so good (stock valving)!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #398
Steve30
Techno Viking

Good to know that the KW's can hold up with those spring rates even though the clubsports are valved a little differently. I'm sure the V3's can take the spring rates I've gone with but not a big deal if I have to re-valve them in a couple seasons. I did not know KW offered linear springs. I contacted them last year and they never responded..

The swift kit is actually quite nice as they supply thrust sheets and vorshlag nylon spring locators. I've done a ton of reading on these springs and they hold up really well and offer some unsprung weight reduction (its not much but hey I'll take anything I can get as its difficult to shave unsprung weight.

How does your car perform in terms of oversteer/understeer? I did quite a bit of reading regarding this and was worried about going too stiff in the rear which would cause traction and oversteer issues. I guess its more important to find the sweet spot between front to rear spring ratio. With my setup its about 10% more stiff in the front based on my wheel rate calculations. This should keep the rear end a bit more planted while reducing understeera bit (which these cars are setup for from factory).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
Nice. I switched to a linear spring last year on my e36 (KW clubsports), but just bought the linear racing springs from KW - it was WAY cheaper than getting the swift kit

I went with an 800lb rear to go with the 675 lb front and so far so good (stock valving)!

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #399
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Its almost June and we dont have any updated videos ?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #400
Steve30
Techno Viking

To be honest I haven't really driven the car too much... I actually just installed the new swift spring kit yesterday. I had some rubbing issues in the rear under full throttle but its solved now thanks to the swift kit. Now all I need to do is datalog and get the final tune from Frank Smith. I'll get some footage soon.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: