Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
sparf328
boostjunky

Widening fikse fm5's

I'm looking into widening my fm5's for next summer.( they are how they came from dinan ) Not sure about what size lips i can fit ( depending on stance ) maybe Jay or some stance factory guys could chime in. but also i need to know where to find the parts i found a guy nnamed thatcher on bf.c that seems to be fairly involved with selling widened hoops/barrels etc. but the 17 inch fm5's have 20 bolts holding the outer lip so would this companies stuff work
http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/shells.html
( i think it should work ) Ive uploaded some photo's of what i want to achieve, not sure if the rims in the pics are 17 or 18 regardless the dishes are stunning but i find the stance to be off, just but a tiny bit ....

any feedback or input is appreciated....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fikse fm5 i.jpg (115.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg fikse fm5 ii.jpg (148.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg fikse fm5 iii.jpg (67.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg fikse fm5 iv.jpg (94.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg fikse fm5 v.jpg (56.5 KB, 288 views)
sparf328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Thatcher
1st Gear Newbie

Your 18" FM5's are old style small bore, meaning they use the same size center as a 17" wheel.

The bad news is, you can't get those parts from Fikse. The good news is, you can get those parts from me, but not in every width.

It looks like you've got 3" outers, front and rear. I've got 3.5" outers, as well as 3", 2", and 1". My question to you is, how is it possible to go wider on that car? Unless you've got some crazy fender work planned, I think 3" is the max you can go for outer lips on that car.

Happy to help you out, feel free to email me. thatcher.shultz@gmail.com

Thatcher
Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
sparf328
boostjunky

sorry i forgot to mention the pics are of a e36 with the wheels clearly already widened, this is only pic i have of my car currently and its tucked away for winter so getting more pics of the wheels would be a pain.. anyone who is familiar with wide wheels on e36's and getting the perfect stance feeeeeel free to comment on what I'm going to have to do fender wise to accommodate the wider wheels, i want to know how wide i can go without rollin the fenders( with the aid of coil overs and maybe a stretch, i can't make up my mind )any input is appreciated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mybaby.jpg (80.0 KB, 267 views)
Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

We can definitely help you fit those properly. The stock E36 offset FM5s are horrible.

Which version of the wheels do you have? In 17" E36 fitment they made 17x8 +42 and 17x8.5 +49. Which coilovers you plan to go with matters as well, as these wheels leave very little strut clearance (you'll have to factor spacers in also).

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
sparf328
boostjunky

since i bought the car the wheels weren't right i can't believe it took me this long to do this. Im almost 100% sure i have the 17x8" versions (can't understand why the previous owner would get the thinner versions), as for coil overs im not sure, ill have to look around and research, read some reviews etc but it ultimately depends on how well I'm doing financially in the summer. any suggestions on coil overs?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I friggin love those wheels. Love the look of multi-piece wheels with hidden fasteners.
Pretty sure that Kodiak owns Fikse, so it might be worth at least a phone call. Also it appears that you can order lips made to your spec here: http://www.tunershop.com/Wheel_accessories/Outer_Lips/

I've never dealt with them, so I have no idea about their service. Good Luck!
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
sparf328
boostjunky

thank you nick_v, Jay what size lip would you recommend here? i want a fat dish , but i also don't want to roll my fenders and i could potentially be using these on the track until i get a pair of dedicated track rims.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Mystikal

Need to know what size the stock lip is first. You won't be able to widen them much at all if you don't plan on fender rolling, linear spring rates, and stretched tires.

@stancejay
Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
sparf328
boostjunky

I'm still debating on rolling the fenders , i know I'm going to have to do it but I'm sketched out cuz you can't roll a fender back right? but ye ill figure out the size of the stock lips, I'm having trouble finding that info on the internet at the moment...
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Mystikal

Why would you want to roll it back? It's not visibly different from the outside, and if it's done properly, creates no rust or paint issues.

Alternatively if you're serious you could just bring everything to the shop and let us do what we do. If you're interested in the DIY route that's cool, but this is just another day for us.

@stancejay
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
sparf328
boostjunky

ill see you boys in the summer, bringing both the dd and weekend weapon to your shop so we can work out some stance issues...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

Start by giving Alan Baylis at Fikse a call at (424) 634-0152

I bet he'd be able to help you out. FYI, Kodiak bought Fikse, so they're a Canadian wheel now.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
sparf328
boostjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Start by giving Alan Baylis at Fikse a call at (424) 634-0152

I bet he'd be able to help you out. FYI, Kodiak bought Fikse, so they're a Canadian wheel now.
i love this forum^, thank you kind sir...
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparf328 View Post
i love this forum^, thank you kind sir...
No problem, let us know what he says!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
sparf328
boostjunky

250$ per corner, 50$ for shipping, they come in 1"-5.5" i have to figure out what i can fit comfortably, and whats going to look proper, and I'm still undecided on a squared or staggered staggered setup, this is going to get expensive quick, I'm 1050$ in before i dissemble my wheels, possibly refinish the centres, reassemble the wheels, buy tires that for whatever reason i can't bring myself to buy a cheap brand, then coil overs and having them installed, oh my.. donations are welcome..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: