Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

325i A/C removal advice

I have a 90 325i and the A/C has long since blown any sort of cold air so I have made the decision to remove the system. Taking a look at it it looks like i can just remove it all straight up. Can I just remove the compressor and belt from main fan? So basically I am just wondering if there is anything I must do in order to remove it all other than just dis-connecting the lines and the parts.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

You must drain it first completely at a shop, just in case there is any coolant left in it. Its only about $40. I simply removed the A/C fan, rad, compressor and all lines and wires up to the rear most of the passenger side engine compartment, where I just left the lines exposed.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
You must drain it first completely at a shop, just in case there is any coolant left in it. Its only about $40. I simply removed the A/C fan, rad, compressor and all lines and wires up to the rear most of the passenger side engine compartment, where I just left the lines exposed.
Ya the freon i know must be drained, and thats what i figured. now what do you mean by rad?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
everlast

Unless you've specifically had it drained, you still should get it done at a shop. There will be some left in it, even with a leak. (It will simply go to a lower pressure and then stop leaking). Seriously, don't risk dumping R12 to atmosphere, its just irresponsible.

The ac rad is in front of the normal rad, with pipes going to the compressor, etc. You'll see it when you're in there.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Ya i know i would not just let it vent. And i see know what rad you mean. So we will see how this goes.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
everlast

Its really easy honestly, will only take a couple mins. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

New a/c has atmosphere friendly cooling. I'm not sure about the old E30's. I was thinking about removing my a/c because it doesn't work at all. But decided to leave it alone lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
everlast

E30s are R12. Even R134 should not be vented: nothing should be vented. We already wreck the environment enough with these old pieces of shit.

Edit: some e30s, like mine, were converted to R134. I still got it pulled at a shop.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
E30s are R12. Even R134 should not be vented: nothing should be vented. We already wreck the environment enough with these old pieces of shit.

Edit: some e30s, like mine, were converted to R134. I still got it pulled at a shop.
Yea, but not many people really care about the air ect. So they just remove it. In 2 weeks my car will be driven to Ottawa, so hopefully all goes well and it will be the longest trip shes gone on but I think she'll be fine since I've given her a tune-up and new fluids ect.

If the a/c doesn't leak, why is it bad to undo the connections and seal them? I know my friend did this (not on a bmw) and had no issues.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
everlast

I don't understand your question.. if it didn't leak, why would you open the system and why would you need to seal them?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Lol, I meant, why would you have any issues if the system doesn't leak? Your going to pay garage rate (like 85/hr) for them to take it off. Might as well get the garage to take the a/c off while they drain it for the "just incase" part.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
everlast

LOL I still don't get what you're saying. Issues with what? I paid $40 to get the A/C drained. It would have been a lot more to have them remove the parts, for sure.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Denny
4th Gear Member

Quote:
LOL I still don't get what you're saying. Issues with what? I paid $40 to get the A/C drained. It would have been a lot more to have them remove the parts, for sure.
On my car A/C gone P/S gone and now am debating Oil cooler?

Sorry for the hijack,...

Jay, is the oil cooler really important? the Charcol canister? I want to get rid of every little thing that is not needed and overkill... I want a simple as possible engine bay Im going to need room for other things
2006 BMW 330i 6-speed black SOLD
2001 BMW X5 4.4 - Auto - black on black - SOLD
1989 BMW 535i - 5-speed - black -SOLD (kept M30B35/tranny for E30)

1985 BMW 325 E 5-speed (new project)
1987 BMW 325 5-speed - work in progress
http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/
Part 2 (Supercharger/turbo build)
http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com

Other interests:
http://www.xbox360.com
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/dennymedeiros
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
everlast

Oil cooler is a keeper, especially if you ever plan on FI / high power. Charcoal canister is one of the items that the ministry side-of-the-road inspections have been looking for this summer, so I'd say keep too.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
DYMO
JDM soul

Quote:
Oil cooler is a keeper, especially if you ever plan on FI / high power. Charcoal canister is one of the items that the ministry side-of-the-road inspections have been looking for this summer, so I'd say keep too.
sorry to hijack, but where have you seen the ministry guys?

im totally running a 6 cylinder car that suppose to have 4, and a straight pipe with no cat (1986 means i dont have etests )
DYMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: