Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Replacement master key? Besides dealer..

Any places online that I can obtain a master key from?
There is a ton but they can only provide a key for a USA VIN based vehicle.. not canadian.
These guys are like half the price of what the dealer wants, so I am hoping to find a canadian source like that.

Anyone have any info/help for me?

Thanks!
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

nothing huh?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

what are some american sites for master keys for american vin bmws
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

All these have the key which can be had for as low as $120.. Dealer where I am wants $200, plus tax, plus the $30 programming fee..

http://bmwpartssource.com/

http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/

http://www.ecstuning.com/
Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

I know you wanted to stay away from dealers, but did you try Mike at Maranello BMW? He's helped out many people in the past. Worth a shot. Just say you're from max

Last edited by 1bmw1; 11-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.
1bmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Im down in New Brunswick.. Pretty sure he can't help me. The dealers want you to be there in person..
Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Smitty
4th Gear Member

I'm also in the market. Tried cutting mine open to replace the battery... But it seems as though my soldering skills have deteriorated quite a bit since Grade 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (68.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537

take a look at that. been wanting to do it for a while, never got around to it.

depending on your situation it may be of help
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmck View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492537

take a look at that. been wanting to do it for a while, never got around to it.

depending on your situation it may be of help
Pretty sure my problem is beyond that. I had a thread out on e46fanatics. Basically this my problem.

Quote:
Pretty sure it is not my cars electronics. Here I will try and explain this again and my findings from the day I got my car last Sunday.

We will call it Key A and Key B. Now I will start of as they were last sunday before I started any programming/initializations and gut swapping.

Both Key A and Key B can lock/unlock the car if the key is in the door, the old fashioned way basically.

Key A: Can remotely unlock/lock the car, once the key is put in the ignition after passing all the on/accessories positions it just stops and will not do the last crank in order to start the engine.

Key B: Does not remotely unlock/lock the car but once the key is in ignition will start the car without any issues.

So what I figured, must be a issue in the cut of the key (the one that won't start the car). So I opened up the key to swap the guts out and be done with it.

Swap the guts, bring both keys to the car (carefully noted which one was the key that actually used to start the car) program the keys same was at the video above shows. Same issue as before one starts the other doesn't and one remote unlocks/lock while other doesn't...

I thought to myself okay wtf.. I just swapped the guts now the key that used to start will not anymore but it can unlock/lock remotely.

While the guy that wasn't able to start is now able to do it...

So what I did is then I just took the guts swapped them back without any programming.

And I am back to the same thing as before, the key with the guts that will remotely unlock/lock will not start the car.

But the key that can't do remote unlocking/lock will start the car.

I guess there is something in the chip that talks to the car, I am assuming the chip that actually works with remotely unlocking/locking has something defective that talks to the vehicle and prevents the starting?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^one of your keys (key A) has a bad EWS transponder (the little chip the guy popped out in the DIY). Swap only that to key B, and you should have one working key.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^one of your keys (key A) has a bad EWS transponder (the little chip the guy popped out in the DIY). Swap only that to key B, and you should have one working key.
Yah thats what I figured, only problem is my transponder is not a nice little box like that..

Quick question, How close does the key need to be so that the EWS actually picks it up? What I thought about doing just leaving one key close to the EWS and then just start the vehicle with the other. Would that even work?

Thanks for every ones inputs!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
bmwmck
3rd Gear Member

you can carry your valet key and use that in the ignition to start the car. and carry your other key to lock/unlock. saves some hassle
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmck View Post
you can carry your valet key and use that in the ignition to start the car. and carry your other key to lock/unlock. saves some hassle
Yah never received a valet key with the car. The PO must of lost it.
Only have the 2 masters.. which as you can see are almost not considered "masters" lol
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Try taping the key that works to start the car under the steering column. The other key should now do everything.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
Try taping the key that works to start the car under the steering column. The other key should now do everything.
It can seriously be that far away from the ignition circle?

Ive had it before in the cup holder, sunglasses holder and it didn't seem to work.

I am waiting to get this "non starting" key back as I sent it off to repair to a fellow whose service I found on e46fanatics that fixes keys/gm5 modules etc..

Anyways he came back to me and said that my key was the first he was not able to repair..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: