Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
fencer
1st Gear Newbie

recommend please...

Hey all, it believe my brake pads are just about done and i was wondering if anyone can recommend a garage to get them checked out (not necessarily replaced)? i'm also looking to have my wheels aligned too. Don't want to just bring my car anywhere as I don't have faith in all shops to be honest. I hear stories where people drive in for a quick check then end up paying an arm and a leg.

Anyways, if anyone has any recommendations in the Hamilton to Oakville area it'll be appreciated.

Thanks.
fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

Brake pads are super easy to do, but if you're not up for it Cross Ave Auto is well respected in Oakville.
http://www.crossavenueauto.com/

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
fencer
1st Gear Newbie

I plan to do brake pads myself but I want someone who knows what they're doing to at least check my brakes to see if that's all I need done. Ill look into that shop, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

Edit- sorry I can't read.

Last edited by Coupedup; 11-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
fencer
1st Gear Newbie

I'm in hamilton, but I drive to mississauga for work. So anything inbetween will work. Been to bimmersport, it's good but a little out of my way for something this simple.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Why dont you check them yourself? Is there meat left on your pads. If no, replace them.

Is there uneven wear/cracking/deep groves on your rotors? Does your car vibrate under braking? If so, replace your rotors too.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
DIY
Permanently Dirty

I'm no expert and may miss somethin, but here's my 2cents.

Measure the width of your rotors you'll find the specs online, pads as far as I'm concerned a good unless there's less then 1/8in on each, you can pull the dust caps on the slider pins back and add some greese to em, if their cracked, change em since the winter will flush the greese out, and they could start stickin by the summer from corrosion... Also if your changin pads make sure the rotors arnt grooved too badly (if they are, in my opinion ied change em... Also a bonus with drilled/ slotted rotors they barely groove) ... While your there, since you need an allignment give the hubs a good twistin to make sure the ball joints and/or bearings arnt shot .. Good luck!

Last edited by DIY; 11-17-2011 at 09:27 PM.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
I'm no expert and may miss somethin, but here's my 2cents.

Measure the width of your rotors you'll find the specs online, pads as far as I'm concerned a good unless there's less then 1/8in on each, you can pull the dust caps on the slider pins back and add some greese to em, if their cracked, change em since the winter will flush the greese out, and they could start stickin by the summer from corrosion... Also if your changin pads make sure the rotors arnt grooved too badly (if they are, in my opinion ied change em... Also a bonus with drilled/ slotted rotors they barely groove) ... While your there, since you need an allignment give the hubs a good twistin to make sure the ball joints and/or bearings arnt shot .. Good luck!
Good points, but on our caliper pins, use a silicone based lubricant and not a petroleum grease so you that you don't damage the rubber bushings. While you're doing that, you may as well pull out the pins and clean all of the gunk off them.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Grab a flashlight and look at your pads through the wheel spokes. If the remaining pad material is less than the thickness of the metal backing plate (~ 3mm) then you need new pads. Check one front and one rear caliper.

Personally, I would not use grease on the caliper pins. The BMW TIS recommends not using grease on the guide pins. The pins are not sealed and grease will attract more dust and grime than a dry pin. If you do insist on using grease make sure it's silicon as jabela suggested. Pure silicon grease is hard to find, you can find small containers at HomeDepot in the plumbing section. I would also pull the pins and clean them with a wire brush to help prevent dragging calipers.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

RickN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: