Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Used manual 2008 328i

Hello,

I asked before for help about buying an E46 but for the last couple of months I switched my mind to buying the E90. The car I am interested in is a 2008 328i 6-speed manual (sport package?) coming off a lease. I need help with the following:

1) Does this car model/year have any major problems?

2) Would you buy a car, especially a manual BMW, off a lease? Why, or why not?

3) The car is selling for $18,000 with 73k kms on it. What do you think about the price considering the age of the car and the kms driven?

4) People are saying repairing a BMW is very expensive but sometimes the costs they quote sound unreal to me. Someone told me changing oil on a 2007 3-Series costs $500, while on a Toyota costs $40! Is this true? I mean, I know BMWs are more expensive to maintain and I am willing to spend the money to a certain limit. But I am definitely not willing to spend $500 on oil change! Can you give me real figures, or links to websites where I can check the costs of regular maintenance on a BMW (preferably an E90)?

5) Given the information of the car I mentioned, how often do you expect it to need repairs, and what kind of repairs? (I will definitely have a mechanic take a look at it before I buy it, if I buy it. And I will definitely ask for the car history.) Someone said he spent $7,000 in the first year on a used BMW he bought. Another person says his car needs about $1,000-$1,500 a year and that includes everything: oil change, brake pads, etc (to me that's not a bad figure.) I need figures from real BMW owners so I know what to expect before I go ahead and buy a BMW.

Thanks guys any helpful feedback is much appreciated,

Fadi
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Hello,

4) People are saying repairing a BMW is very expensive but sometimes the costs they quote sound unreal to me. Someone told me changing oil on a 2007 3-Series costs $500, while on a Toyota costs $40! Is this true? I mean, I know BMWs are more expensive to maintain and I am willing to spend the money to a certain limit. But I am definitely not willing to spend $500 on oil change! Can you give me real figures, or links to websites where I can check the costs of regular maintenance on a BMW (preferably an E90)?

Fadi
Not sure who told you information about oil changes, but they are totally incorrect...Like any other purchase, make sure that you do your homework? I am assuming that this is your first BMW?
E90 328i Xdrive (Current)
Pierce330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce330 View Post
Not sure who told you information about oil changes, but they are totally incorrect...Like any other purchase, make sure that you do your homework? I am assuming that this is your first BMW?
Thanks a lot for the reply. It's not only my first BMW, it's also my first car! That's why I am asking here: to do my homework
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

I would definitely start test driving different 328s...obviously, the newer the better and that also gos for kms...
E90 328i Xdrive (Current)
Pierce330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
MaxVQ
1st Gear Newbie

My thoughts:
I wouldn't buy a used BMW as a first car. First cars have a hard life as we learn about things not mentioned in driving school.

Get something cheaper so when it does get banged up, you won't be upset as much and it will be much cheaper to fix.

If you do get a BMW have a BMW mechanic look at it. BMW does things like no one else. (for the good and bad)
MaxVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, keep your thoughts coming! I am looking for any advice even if it is an educated guess. You don't have to answer the questions, just give me your thoughts on the situation...adding numbers would help too!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Hello,

I asked before for help about buying an E46 but for the last couple of months I switched my mind to buying the E90. The car I am interested in is a 2008 328i 6-speed manual (sport package?) coming off a lease. I need help with the following:

1) Does this car model/year have any major problems?

2) Would you buy a car, especially a manual BMW, off a lease? Why, or why not?

3) The car is selling for $18,000 with 73k kms on it. What do you think about the price considering the age of the car and the kms driven?

5) Given the information of the car I mentioned, how often do you expect it to need repairs, and what kind of repairs? (I will definitely have a mechanic take a look at it before I buy it, if I buy it. And I will definitely ask for the car history.) Someone said he spent $7,000 in the first year on a used BMW he bought. Another person says his car needs about $1,000-$1,500 a year and that includes everything: oil change, brake pads, etc (to me that's not a bad figure.) I need figures from real BMW owners so I know what to expect before I go ahead and buy a BMW.

Thanks guys any helpful feedback is much appreciated,

Fadi

Hey,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.. I can share my experience.

1) All BMWs come with their own share of problems.. but it's worth it IMO
2) Yes I would.. and who cares if its a manual.. if anything its a good thing. Manual BMW's are kinda rare.. I paid full asking price for mine because it was a manual and the dealer basically told me to screw off if I wanted to haggle.
3) That is one HELLUVA lowww price for that car... less than what I paid for mine.. 2 years newer, more powerful engine and less KM's.. You might hear different opinions on this but I would REALLY REALLY check the car out because of the "too good to be true" effect
4 & 5) Please slap the person who told you that it costs $500 bucks for an oil change across the face from all of us here at Max. Don't ever take his advice on anything again. You can get oil changes done for $100-$150.. and you only really have to change it once a year (or DIY). Maintenance is definitely higher for BMWs and I've found out the hard way.. I've had a slew of small issues with mine but nothing really major (wipers were shit, water in my headlights, valve cover gasket/oil leak etc.) Small issues to be honest. However I have dumped 5K into the car but less than $200 of that was for maintenance. Most of it went into new rims, 2 sets of brand new tyres, intake stuff, an SSK, spacers, exhaust stuff.. and on and on and on. The car is absolutely PERFECT to drive in right now and pretty much exactly what I was looking forward to in a sports-sedan.

BMW's are pretty reliable, but they are no Honda or Toyota. If you want reliable, buy Japanese.. but most importantly check that car out THOROUGHLY... because the more I think about it, the more I see this going wrong at that price. Maybe others will tell you differently and say that 18K is reasonable for a 2008 328i w/ Sport Pkg and 73K on the dash??
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man for the thorough comment. More feedback please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
Hey,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.. I can share my experience.

1) All BMWs come with their own share of problems.. but it's worth it IMO
2) Yes I would.. and who cares if its a manual.. if anything its a good thing. Manual BMW's are kinda rare.. I paid full asking price for mine because it was a manual and the dealer basically told me to screw off if I wanted to haggle.
3) That is one HELLUVA lowww price for that car... less than what I paid for mine.. 2 years newer, more powerful engine and less KM's.. You might hear different opinions on this but I would REALLY REALLY check the car out because of the "too good to be true" effect
4 & 5) Please slap the person who told you that it costs $500 bucks for an oil change across the face from all of us here at Max. Don't ever take his advice on anything again. You can get oil changes done for $100-$150.. and you only really have to change it once a year (or DIY). Maintenance is definitely higher for BMWs and I've found out the hard way.. I've had a slew of small issues with mine but nothing really major (wipers were shit, water in my headlights, valve cover gasket/oil leak etc.) Small issues to be honest. However I have dumped 5K into the car but less than $200 of that was for maintenance. Most of it went into new rims, 2 sets of brand new tyres, intake stuff, an SSK, spacers, exhaust stuff.. and on and on and on. The car is absolutely PERFECT to drive in right now and pretty much exactly what I was looking forward to in a sports-sedan.

BMW's are pretty reliable, but they are no Honda or Toyota. If you want reliable, buy Japanese.. but most importantly check that car out THOROUGHLY... because the more I think about it, the more I see this going wrong at that price. Maybe others will tell you differently and say that 18K is reasonable for a 2008 328i w/ Sport Pkg and 73K on the dash??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: