Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #31
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?
 
bmdbley'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in your attic!
Posts: 4,674


Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post


I'm all for loud exhausts on bikes, it lets drivers know you're there. If you've ever been on a bike you now how often people turn into your lane, don't even realize you're there and keep driving not knowing they nearly killed you.

These camera's are destined for failure though. Clutch in, coast by, keep driving.
I'd say any exhaust note is good, to avoid animals & pedestrians..

and look its not 'a conspiracy' man, its a FACT

Intellistreets


And this isn't even 'gunshot detectors' search that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
bmdbley'sbro, if you want, i can show you how to build a device that will block all 802.1a/b/g/n transmissions.

It takes about 30 minutes to build (40$ worth of parts), will run for weeks unattended on a car battery, is effective to about a 2 mile range, and is quite illegal. No more gov't eavesdropping.

I'd also like to point out that this is pointless, as if the govt wanted to, they could force ISP's, telco's, and other data carriers to relay all data to them (e-mail, sms, cell & landline calls, stupid max posts. Essentially all voice/video and data traffic worldwide). The problem is that this is a nearly infinate amount of data, and no government in the world has the resources to deliver all the traffic to a central facility, let alone process it.
yeah cell & radio jamming's going to become popular - especially since the passage of the ndaa s.1867 & the recently leaked 'red blue' trancievers they (dhs) is going to start using (or declaring all of america 'non friendlies') which was tested in iraq..

but the gunshot - loud exhaust detectors & new intellistreet lamps have ram with memory - so they can store what they hear from spying

ps: orwell & huxley say hello
__________________
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #32
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
I'm all for loud exhausts on bikes, it lets drivers know you're there. If you've ever been on a bike you now how often people turn into your lane, don't even realize you're there and keep driving not knowing they nearly killed you.
I disagree. Loud pipes are really only loud from behind. You can barely hear them coming at you if you are in front of them. The whole loud pipes saves lives is a crock to legitimize excessively loud pipes.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #33
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
I disagree. Loud pipes are really only loud from behind. You can barely hear them coming at you if you are in front of them. The whole loud pipes saves lives is a crock to legitimize excessively loud pipes.
When I'm cruising in the left lane on my bike I always have people turn into my lane who were clearly not checking if I was there. When I've ridden my dads harley I never had that issue. First hand experiences > assumptions of yours.
__________________
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #34
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
When I'm cruising in the left lane on my bike I always have people turn into my lane who were clearly not checking if I was there. When I've ridden my dads harley I never had that issue. First hand experiences > assumptions of yours.
Actually it is you who is assuming I've never ridden a bike with loud pipes.

Also I can clearly not hear bikes that are behind me. Or approaching me. Either way, it doesn't justify the intrusion on everyone that a biker drives by.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #35
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
So you saying if you could hear them, it's momentary annoyance to you takes prescedence over the riders safety? And yes I'm assuming you don't ride, not many riders would say that.
__________________
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #36
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,168
If they were really concerned about safety they would be wearing full face bright yellow helmets, ballistic nylon top and bottom, boots, gloves etc. So I consider the loud pipes argument a convenient excuse.

And yes I do ride.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #37
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
Most responsible riders of all styles do ride with boots/gloves/pants/jacket..helmets yea that's hard to argue. All that stuff though is for the unlikely situation of going down, being unseen is something riders face every time they throw their leg over the bike. When something becomes an issue that often, you find a solution. One has been found that inconveniences people momentarily.
__________________
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #38
dcramer
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orangeville
Posts: 1,168
http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp

quote...


According to the Hurt report is was determined that 77% of motorcycle accident hazards come from in front of the rider, while only 3% approach from the rear. What's interesting here is that motorcycle pipes direct the vast majority of sound backwards where the least danger is, so for loud pipes to be truly effective safety measures they would need to be pointed forward where the greatest danger lies. That doesn't do much to support the proposition that loud pipes are a safely factor. The other serious problem I have with this supposition is that it is, at best, a secondary safety measure, not a primary or proactive measure. Assuming that the other driver will act with caution once you have identified your presence by the sound of your bike roaring up from behind is foolhardy at best. That's like assuming that if you were to wear a bright yellow safety vest, or full riding gear, you can relax because now you're protected! Lets face it, the best protection you have is that 3 pounds of grey matter between your ears, that and a constant awareness of your surrounding, and acting on the supposition that the rest of the motorists in the world are all idiots and its up to you and you alone to ensure your safety on the road. Relying on the other guy to act reasonably or safely just because you're making more noise than those around you is just asking for trouble!

As Neal Stephenson puts it in 'Zodiac' (The words in brackets [ ] were added by me.):

" First, a word on motorcycle safety:
If you've put yourself in a position where someone has to see [hear] you in order for you to be safe -- to see [hear] you, and to give a f**k -- you've already blown it."

Interestingly enough too, I found that most motorcyclists with louder than stock pipes, interviewed in the various articles I read on the subject admitted that is was mostly a macho thing. They simply liked the sound of a deep-throated exhaust note, it added to the pleasure of the machine for them, very few made any mention of the "safety" issue. So it would seem the true believers in the LPSL crowd are in the vast minority, it may make a great tee shirt slogan, but is ability to hold water is about equal to that of the tee shirt it's printed on.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #39
paddyhong
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
I don't have or operate a motorcycle but regardless, whether I'm driving a car, bicycle or any type of vehicle for that matter, I'm more afraid of people hitting me than I am of hitting others. I've had one at fault accident in my 10 years of driving. The rest of the accident I have been involved in are not my fault. That's not the cleanest record to brag about but it's better than most.

Bottom line, pay attention to your surroundings while driving anything. This stupid device is going to fail just as hard, if not harder, then red light cameras. #1 reason why red light cameras failed was because they posted signage up TELLING people that there's a camera up ahead. The bright person that thought of this just defeated the propose of having those cameras there in the first place. And then, half of them are fake (estimate). They put up a show of flashing like they did take a picture but you never get a notice in the mail. It's just a numbers game. They use up their budget on useless crap so their budget for next year doesn't get cut as hard. Just a waste of taxpayers money.

I am very interested in the jamming device though. =)

p@dDy
paddyhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #40
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
hahaha calegrant is using myths to support his argument
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #41
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
calegrant is using first hand experience to validate his argument. I could care less what other people think, it has worked for me and I don't mind if I inconvenience you for a few seconds for the little bit of security if gives me from careless cage drivers.
__________________
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #42
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
calegrant is using first hand experience to validate his argument. I could care less what other people think, it has worked for me and I don't mind if I inconvenience you for a few seconds for the little bit of security if gives me from careless cage drivers.

but you're wrong though. your first hand experience does not make up for real statistics and facts


PS I wouldn't cut off a Harley Davidson... Not because it's loud.. but because I don't feel like getting shot.
__________________

Last edited by sirex; 01-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #43
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
I'm wrong, based on what...an editorial of opinions? Yes most of the sound is directed towards the rear, a substantial amount is still audible in a car ahead of me. Are you going to try to argue otherwise based on what some old guy has expressed an opinion and written it favoring his opinion? That increase in volume makes drivers more aware of your presence, to the degree in which it does I'm not going to speculate...but I have experienced significant differences in how drivers behaved around me on quiet vs. loud bikes. I haven't said I'm going to go out and swap out my exhaust, I've merely stated real world experience and common sense. Something happening outside your car is easier to hear if it's louder, the volume of an exhaust is going to increase both in front of and behind the bike if you swap out to something louder.

Keep fishing for arguments based on what you've read online troll.
__________________

Last edited by calegrant; 01-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #44
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Actually.. I haven't read anything online because quite frankly I don't give a shit. I just felt like calling you out on your non-sense about feeling safer cause your bike was louder.

Your logic makes no sense. IF the driver in the car CANT see you and hes going to make a lane change, YOURE GOING TO GET CUT OFF. Aslo, the riding style of a harley is not the same as a speed bike. A harley takes up much more space and is of larger design than a sleek speedster.. but hey, YOU HAVE EMPIRICAL evidence that suggests otherwise.

Damn son, we can't argue with u.



I will tell you what I do care about: Loud obnoxious exhausts, either bikes or autos.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
calegrant
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,268
lol speed bikes? You're really the authority on something involving motorcycles, I'm glad we have you to grace us with you endless knowledge

My logic does make sense, if a driver hears another vehicle they're going to be aware of that other vehicles presence and more than likely make a shoulder check. Not everyone shoulder checks, or they do it half assed. If they hear a bike, chances are they'll be more likely to look for it before changing lanes. You have two main senses that are functioning when you're behind the wheel, you're sense of sight and sound. If you increase your visibility or volume, you're increasing the likelihood of other drivers being aware of you. Arguing that to not be true is ridiculous.

You're desperate to argue anything arn't you? It's pretty sad.
__________________

Last edited by calegrant; 01-02-2012 at 07:09 PM.
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015