Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
RickPatel
Certified Motor Head!

Thought I'd share! Careless Driving vs. Dangerous Driving

Hey folks,
Hope all is well!
I'm a certified motor-head and recently, I've started blogging on motor vehicle offences (both criminal and HTA).
I'm focusing primarily on areas where I find that there is confusion amongst most people.

Here is an example of a recent blog!

http://www.passipatel.com/blog/dange...the-difference

I'm also open to suggestions for future BLOG topics.

Thanks
Ricky
RickPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Link was dead. I found it on the site...
http://www.passipatel.com/blog/dange...the-difference

Good info there!

Some ideas based on confusion I see frequently when discussing insurance:
  • Administrative vs moving violations; which convictions actually effect your insurance.
  • How demerit points work

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
RickPatel
Certified Motor Head!

Hey man!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I could come with for the topics that you mentioned!

Thanks for posting the correct link.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Interesting...

Careless..."without due care and attention"
Dangerous..."in a manner that is dangerous to the public"

Obviously it can be crystal clear when a dangerous driving charge is issued, fleeing police, street racing etc that leads to injury and what not.

So the debate is when does careless cross over to dangerous, correct?

I find the wording to be confusing (see above quotes) you are correct.

I did read about the truck crossing the line and killing 3, I think the issue is this.

Intent!

You would have to decide if someone who purposely races, flees police etc and intended obviously to do so and it leads to injury and death is in the same category as someone who was distracted momentarily and that lead to injury/death. I suppose for me that is the question when looking at the difference.

I think the penalty for careless also included a steeper charge or more agressive jail term when death or injury is involved was made it may help in making us feel better about the person not receiving a dangerous charge.

jmo
Old 06-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
RickPatel
Certified Motor Head!

Hey blackedout

With "intent" comes a different charge altogether. Then the driver would be charged with "criminal negligence causing bodily harm" or "criminal negligence causing death".

And you're entirely correct about the sentiment regarding someone that is charged with "careless driving" when a death is involved. The public is often outraged, however its important to keep in mind, we only see what is reported in the media. There is often much more to the case!

Also, the line between "careless" and "dangerous" can get fuzzy at times. It really depends on the facts of the case, the availability of independent witnesses, road conditions, location of the incident, time of day, etc etc.

I suppose there is really no, "one size fits all" approach!

Cheers,
Ricky
Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
Administrative vs moving violations; which convictions actually effect your insurance.
I'd love to see something on this. I.e. do things like failing to complete daily logs or not having a 407 transponder in a heavy commercial vehicle (tickets I've received in the past, lol) affect one's insurance premiums? I've spoken to several brokers/people in the industry and even they couldn't give me a solid answer...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
RickPatel
Certified Motor Head!

Hey guys,
I'm working on the "administrative versus moving violations" post! I just want to to ensure that my information is accurate and correctly sourced before I posting. Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: