Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
ismail
2nd Gear Member

My Avus e36 Daily Driver

First off just wanna say that there are some amazing rides here on Max....You've set the bar pretty high and it will take a considerable amount of time to get my car there. Its solid for a daily and something I can work on myself without fear of destroying a classic. Eventually would like to take it to HPDE and track days but first to get it back into decent shape.

Bought it on July 1st, 2011 with a clean history, was originally a demo at Budds BMW back in 1998 - 3 owner car - when I picked it up it had 175K Kms, and nearly a full maintenance history going back to the 2nd owner who bought it when it came back from the original lease.

Was in decent shape - a lot better than some of the e36s I have seen but not perfect. Its been someones daily its entire life. No headliner sag, no shock/ strut tower rust, and a faily clean interior with the exception of a worn drivers seat, an airbag light and a broken center dash vent. The body needs work but I really started to love the colour after seeing it a few times.

Okay enough of that - pictures

ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Congrats! Lookin good! Not mint, but I've definitely seen worse shape cars at track days! What are your plans?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Continued

One of the first items on the list was the side mirrors oxidized as can be seen from the pics.

e36 M3 aero mirrors are on the big list - but till the budget allows I couldn't be seen driving around with mirrors like these. Thanks to George at SimplyCars for the tip about Barbeque paint being the same as BMW black. Gave it a quick sand down - which btw these are aluminum do not do this it will scratch the aluminum I put 3 coats of paint and wet sanded and still could not get it smooth. Until I can do the M3 mirrors I'll have to live with it - its not noticable from more than 5 feet and now I dont have chipped paint all over them.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Well plans are big....but don't know if time and budget will allow -

1st -1st - get it mechanically sound - then work on the cosmetics
1. Change all fluids, new accessory belts, spark plugs, new ss brake and clutch lines (Done)
2. Cooling system overhaul (partially done) - Clutch fan and hoses still to be replaced (waterpump, rad, therostat, housing, gaskets, aux fan and bleed all done)
3. complete suspension overhaul (started - not finished yet) (Turner M3 subframe reinforcement plates installed and car rust proofed) - full turner kit, new bushings and new springs and shocks
4. M3 LSD 3.23 or 3.43 - along with new diff and subframe bushings
5. 17" BBS RX with track tires -thanks to a generous friend who hooked me up (done sitting in my garage)
5. shifter rebuild - don't know if I will do SSK haven't decided yet
6. Cosmetics - rust cleanup one fenders and around trunk and new rubber gastets for windows - + front end re-paint w/ 2 stage paint
7. New mirrors, fogs, grille(Maybe M3 front bumper but really leaning on keeping it stock and making performance upgrades) and mouldings
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust and intake before cosmetics
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Heres the mirror fix:

Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Not a bad base to start from. Should be fun to build up.

Looks like you used a really rough grid of sand paper, which is fine to start with, but eventually you need to smooth it out using a finer grid sand paper. 100,160,200,300. Then it will get smoother and not show the sand paper marks.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
ismail
2nd Gear Member

T.Dot E30 - Thanks will take off the mirrors - the heating and power functions still works - maybe ill give them a cleanup when I replace

After wash, claybar and wax earlier in August.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
cormier
6th Gear Member

If you go with a ssk, pm richie_s999 he makes wonderful ones for a great price

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
sproule905
6th Gear Member

ive got some staggered DSII 17's that would make that 328is sit real nice!

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
ismail
2nd Gear Member

More Pics!

Sproule905 don't tempt me.....DSI's and DSIIs have to be my favorite OEM e36 rims.

Anyway here's some more fall pics after the winters with smoothie hubcaps were put on.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Suspension Refresh

Was looking into a couple of different suspension options as some of you know because I have been inquiring about different setups. The springs I had in the rear were cracked, so I needed a new suspension in the back for sure. I got quotes for OEM rear springs and shocks - but wanted to do a whole setup that would tide me over till I was able to get the car caught up on maintenance, and budget friendly enough that I could repair the other items outstanding.

SO I am guinea pigging the Vogtland Jr. Suspension kit, I don't think anyone on Max has this setup yet. I ordered from Ultrarev when it was on sale and here is the part# 960039VL. 1.6 drop in the front and 1.0 in the back.

Looks like it actually raised the car in the back overall - gives much more of a stock look than the tired old suspension that was on the car.

Also did a bunch of other Miscellaneous work while we were in there - new bushings, mounts, spring pads and reinforcement plates all around, rear Trailing arm bushings with limiters.

Pics:

Before:

Parts start to arrive

Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Parts are ready for installation:

Kit looks fairly high quality - springs are from Vogtland but from what I have heard the dampers are sourced from either Koni/ Tokico or Bilstein. All parts were made in Germany and package arrived from Dortmund.

Old Suspension: (Cant believe I was driving on this - tech said old rear shock mounts weren't bad but everything else was garbage)

After Stance: Actually raised the car - maybe a bit of a drop in the front but not noticeable - huge difference in ride and handling though - Tracks straight and true and doesn't wallow over bumps, no play on center in steering anymore. Road noise is decreased significantly as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: