Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
orion's ache
1st Gear Newbie

2012 528xi without winters?

Hello,

I have purchased the above car. Very excited to pick it up this weekend. It comes with 18 inch All Season Good Year Eagles. Do you think that is sufficient for the winter? I drive mostly in the city and every second weekend drive up north to Collingwood to ski. For those who drive a similar car, what is your experience with driving with All Seasons? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a very expensive winter tire package from BMW ($3,199 for 18 inchers!)?
orion's ache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion's ache View Post
Hello,

I have purchased the above car. Very excited to pick it up this weekend. It comes with 18 inch All Season Good Year Eagles. Do you think that is sufficient for the winter? I drive mostly in the city and every second weekend drive up north to Collingwood to ski. For those who drive a similar car, what is your experience with driving with All Seasons? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a very expensive winter tire package from BMW ($3,199 for 18 inchers!)?
Don't buy it from the dealer. Get 17" from TireRack.com

About $1,473.38 shipped to Toronto (Taxes, Duty, Customs etc).
Firestone Snows on 17" Alum. Rims. I usally don't get the wheel sensors for the winters.

Shop around

You'll enjoy the car with snows on. I always put snows on my AWD or 4x4 vehicles and enjoy the winter.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
damameke
6th Gear Member

BMW dealer's winter package is costly..if cost is not a factor sure buy it
especially for those skiing trip north... else check some of the sponsors in here
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion's ache View Post
Hello,

I wouldn't buy BMW packages. I run high performance summers and good winter tyres BUUUTTT in your predicament I would keep your all seasons.. since you already have them.. so it's not justifiable to spend more on a winter package. However, when your All-Seasons run out of tread.. Buy a good set of Summer Performance tires and a nice set of winters on separate rims.

I just don't get "all-season" tyre people.. I guess owning a BMW doesn't automatically make you a driving enthusiast.

Anyways: Keep your all-seasons.. take it REALLY easy in the winter.. and do it right when you run out of tread.

If you're a baller and want a separate rim/tyre set for the winter, I can point you to a great place to get some! PM me for info!
BMWdouche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

i can say having gone through an e46 in all seasons during the winter - new will probably be ok for this winter. i don't know about taking it up for skiing. good advice above. use it this winter but plan on getting proper winters.

not sure how much having x will make a difference with all seasons.

put it this way - 1 accident/collision and any savings on the tires will be out the window along with the pain and headache of fixing up a new car.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Think of it this way. If you buy snows, your all seasons will last that much longer. You probably don't need high performance summers.

I drive in the heavy snow regions, and awd is useless without good tires.

Get some snows. You'll love it.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

you just spent the money on a new car...why cheap out to save $1000(price varies of course depending on used/new and where/what you buy) and have sub par winter performance.

?

awd is not a substitute for good tires. Even with winters you won turn or stop better either.

You should definitely pick up some winter rubber. tire rack or places like tires23,joycitytires,megawheelz are way better than the dealer for pricing.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Buy winters from a different tire source, no need to spend nearly 4K on "BMW winter" tire package.
Winters are great to have, even if you are able to swerve/stop/miss 1 accident because of proper tires, they've more than payed for themselves, especially on a beautiful, brand new 5er.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I can't believe how many of these threads we have. AWD does absolutely nothing to help you stop in the snow. If you can afford a 50K$+ car, you can afford 1500$ worth of winter tires.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member

Yeah good winter tires are always the safer option... I picked up some dunlop sp winter sports and good looking after market rims from Tire Rack...the tires were installed on the rims, balanced, taxes and shipped to NB for $1900...way cheaper than the dealership...and from what I read online, the dunlops are rated better than the bridgestones BMW wants to sell you...
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
biginstreets
bitches love me!

its all wheel drive... not all wheel stop. it'll push you forward reeeeal nice, stopping that bitch is up to you.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

I don't know if the Dunlop SP winter sports are that great.

I've had them and when they are down to about 6/32nd tread remaining they are very slippery. This was on an e60. It was more fear of being stuck on hills...etc. Wasn't too concerned with stopping. They definitely had great grip when newer and never left me stranded. But seems like when the top layer wears it gets into hockey puck stiffness.

either way winters are way better than all seasons no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukgtp View Post
Yeah good winter tires are always the safer option... I picked up some dunlop sp winter sports and good looking after market rims from Tire Rack...the tires were installed on the rims, balanced, taxes and shipped to NB for $1900...way cheaper than the dealership...and from what I read online, the dunlops are rated better than the bridgestones BMW wants to sell you...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: