Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoEEzi View Post
Everytime you buy a NEW bmw? I'm sure they told you that because all new BMW come with 12 years rust warranty. Older BMWs I cant remember but I would have a look in the service manual for your model year vehicle.

OP I my self have Krowned my car '02 and it has 0 rust, but only begun to rustproof 2 years ago,. I planned to do it every year (maybe every other). I also went the non drilled service.
BMW Rust Warranty sucks. They simply send it to a shop to grind it down, and paint it. It comes back. I had my E36 done under warranty, and the rust came back. They should have replaced the two doors, and the trunk, but wouldn't.

It was a pissing match to get the warranty done.

Like everyone said, Krown is the way to go.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
I dunno , did the wifes car and within 3 years where they drilled the holes (under runners ) rust formed, bad!

I honestly would be ok with doing it again but insisting they simply spray what they can and no drilling.
Wait, they drilled holes on the outside of the car? That can't be right.

On my car they drilled two or three holes in the door jambs (front & back), then a couple more in the trunk well. I'm sure there are probably more, but I didn't search for them, they were just the ones that were obvious.

And from what I remember Krown does offer a warranty. If you start spraying a car from new, then they give you a lifetime warranty. They obviously won't warranty a 10 year old car though.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

The holes drilled should be on non visible areas (from outside).
The door jambs, rear dog leg etc.

I always carefully pull the plug they install afterwards, clean the hole, and put a bit of primer/paint on the newly exposed metal edges of the hole. Once it's dry, I put grease or more Krown/RustCheck stuff on the plug and push it back in.

It keep the water out and is protected.
You won't have any issues with the hole after that.

Actually, if you ever install a spoiler, or trim/skirt pieces, and have to drill small holes, do the same.

If anyone decides to do a DIY for their window regulators, a can of RustCheck or Krown should be part of your parts list.
When you have the door panels off, spray into the bottom of the doors from the inside.
BMW's rust at the seams, and this will go a long long way!!!!
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRWD View Post
If anyone decides to do a DIY for their window regulators, a can of RustCheck or Krown should be part of your parts list.
When you have the door panels off, spray into the bottom of the doors from the inside.!!
Good suggestion..
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

I'm really not keen on the idea of having holes drilled in my car...is this really necessary ?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-menace View Post
I'm really not keen on the idea of having holes drilled in my car...is this really necessary ?
No... apparently there are 2 techniques...
Drilling holes and then just spraying the exterior.
They say drilling holes gets the rustproofing liquid into hard to reach areas.

I am not crazy about having holes drilled into my car too...
But then again... I don't plan on having my car for more than 6 years either, so a few holes (properly cared for) might not matter either.
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

If I have to chose between having a few holes drilled in inconspicuous places, or rust perforation in obvious places, without question I chose drilled. Seams are where you're going to get rust most often (accident repairs aside), and there's no way of getting inside those seams just by spraying the outside of the car. In my opinion the shell is the most important factor for resale. Engines and interiors can be had a swapped for relatively cheap and work well. There is however, no such thing as good body work. If it's been fixed, it'll need to be fixed again...and again...and again.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
MPackage
2004 BMW 330i - ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-menace View Post
I got my car rust proofed at:

Krown Rust Control
1019 Lakeshore Road East
Mississauga,ON
(905) 278-2408

They are a Greek family owned business they have been doing it for years and years. They have the best reputation of all Krown locations in GTA since they do an excellent job of rusting proofing your car and you can tell them you don't want to drill holes in your door jams and just spray the car underneath, hood and trunk, taillights, door handles around the windshield rubber etc.
MPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

I know that RMP(one of the vendors on here) undercoat without drilling i beleive. I'm not too sure what product them use, but maybe worth calling them up!

I myself wouldn't want to drill holes either, but there's always alternatives.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #25
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

What exactly is BMW's Rust warranty? My 02 330XI, has this spot right here. It is a lot worse looking now than in that pic. I am not the original owner of this car, so they would fix this for me?
Also this Krown stuff is this very oil based? Almost greasy looking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (158.9 KB, 126 views)
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #26
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
i haven't rust proofed my M3 since i had it (over 4 years) and winter driven it every year.
when the weather warms up, i make sure i get a wash and get the underbody washed also.
i've only had 2 rust spots (1 of them was just cleaned up this week) and both were just below the driver side and passenger door sills. about the size of a toonie. my e30 i rust proofed every year when i had is and it rusted a lot quicker.

imo, i'd vote against having any drilling done on the car. but the important thing is to get all the salt off your car when the weather is warming up in the winter. salt starts eating away when the weather gets warmer and is when it does it's most harm.
clean car = healthy car. wash and dry it often and you won't get rust attacks.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: