Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
sb_600
5th Gear Member
 
sb_600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,183
To each their own. I will trust people with first hand experience

Oh, I run RP synchomax in my tranny and 75w140 in my diff... so far so good after around 5000km of autox/lapping & already having 160k+km on them.
__________________
Shawn
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Steel City
Posts: 770
+ 1 for RP in both.
__________________
03 AW on LSB M3 coupe, BMW motorsport 4.10 Diff, AA Exhaust, OEM CSL rims, Aero Res, TMS subframe, powerflex bshgs, Macht Schnell, Vorsteiner diffuser, TMS steel lines etc..
Complete Comp Pkg Upgrade
2012 Honda CRV winterbeater
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
The-Traveler
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GTA
Posts: 287
My 330Ci has 215km and I've never changed the diff fluid.

Why should I?
Will I notice anything?
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,722
would you leave the oil in your engine for 50k km? ...

ya you should change it. its a mechanical part that relies on the fluid for lubrication, protection and cooling.

and I also trust people with first hand experience.... still doesnt change my feelings on the subject.
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #20
Vrbovsky
pod stromom
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Sticks... London durring the day
Posts: 615
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
would you leave the oil in your engine for 50k km? ...

ya you should change it. its a mechanical part that relies on the fluid for lubrication, protection and cooling.

and I also trust people with first hand experience.... still doesnt change my feelings on the subject.
Why is it that wherever you tread some sort of bickering inevitably follows? I don't know you and couldn't pick you out of a crowd so I really don't care about the misery you insist on surrounding yourself with, but you lessen my enjoyment of nearly every thread with your "contributions". You must be an absolute joy to live with and I can only imagine the suicides that follow in your wake. Please for the love of God never post again!
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
When did I said I didn't believe anything that's posted on the internet?

Why do you have to get all butt hurt because I asked for evidence? For some reason you take most peoples posts as an attack when they clearly are not.

I asked for evidence because that's something I have to see in order to believe something 100%. That's just me being rational! Things that get tossed around on forums doesn't count for me because I can go anywhere and post any bullshit I want and people will believe it too.

This is the same reason people are religious. "The evidence is out there"

Okay so go find it and bring it to me and I will gladly say you're correct on the subject!

+1 - SIR is always in the negative about everything.
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbovsky View Post
Why is it that wherever you tread some sort of bickering inevitably follows? I don't know you and couldn't pick you out of a crowd so I really don't care about the misery you insist on surrounding yourself with, but you lessen my enjoyment of nearly every thread with your "contributions". You must be an absolute joy to live with and I can only imagine the suicides that follow in your wake. Please for the love of God never post again!
+2

well played, Sir. Well played.
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
kenmar
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 337
I originally dismissed his claim that RP is related to diff failures, but if he had bothered to back up his claim with some evidence, maybe we wouldn't be wasting time bashing.

Search for "Royal Purple diff failure". It seems tied to E36 diff failures and there are a few hits you'll get. I dismissed the speculation about it being tied to diff allen bolts backing out of their threads. This is the most interesting finding (at least the individual sounds like he knows his cars): http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/8480...gear-gear-oil/. Also read the oil test that AMSOIL sponsored; it culled out RP specifically for its poor test results. Keep in mind that AMSOIL paid for the test, but I doubt they would cull out RP for bad results if there's no truth to it.

My history with Redline / RP:
- used Redline for 60-70 track days in my RX7 without problems
- used Redline for 60k in my E36 and needed a rebuild because of bearing failure
- used RP 75w140 in my E36 for the past 100k with no problems

Now I'm thinking of switching to AMSOIL or Mobil1

Last edited by kenmar; 11-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
kenmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #24
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,328
This would all date back if the original car came with RP, then you switched to another brand, but we are discussing going from stock to RP.

Again, the stories do not line up with hard evidence. Its like going from normal oil to synthetic. Sometimes the full synthetic is too synthetic and finds a way past the seals. See this happen wayy to many times on my older 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes.

To each their own, but if I were to raise a case that RP was the fault of diff failures, for the point to lower debates I would certainly back it up with evidence.

Its like at work - would you go to your employer with a problem? Or would you go to them with a problem, but have a solution
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #25
sb_600
5th Gear Member
 
sb_600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
My 330Ci has 215km and I've never changed the diff fluid.

Why should I?
Will I notice anything?
BMW says these are lifetime fluids and never need to be changed. You'll notice that most people here will change them every now and then, for peace of mind.

When I first changed my diff fluid in my e36 from stock to RP, the stock fluid came out nice and golden, with no signs of debris at all. I could have left it in if I were daily driving it, but since it was going to be for track duty, I wanted to put something in that was a bit more heavy duty.
__________________
Shawn
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,722
I pointed out earlier you are more than welcome to google it for yourself. Ive got time to post but not sit here and compile link after link for you .


as for all the other verbal diarrhea. Ive met folks from here and never had any problems. If you feel you need to address something with me personally ,my pm box usually has space. So feel free to message me. Until then stfu, dont worry about the tone of my posts(lol can you ever really distinguish tone on a forum? not really) and worry about the content. You are more than welcome to disagree with me but I dont post up shit for the hell of it. Its to inform, offer my opinion(like anyone else) and/or to inspire some chatter about the topic.

Ive clearly laid out my stance in here and made the necessary "given" statements etc...if you choose to pick one or two things out and go to town. Thats your own issue , not mine. Read, and comprehend my entire post. Not one sentence.

To restate one last time. There is evidence that supports diff failure with RP. I already said that doesnt mean yours will fail. ALready said no studies have been done. Already said that there is enough possible issues with it , combined with the huge selection of fluids that I choose to not use it. Simple as that. Dont agree...fine, but actually do some research on the topic and youll see my feelings arent something I just thought up on the toilet one night. And on the off chance your diff fails and it had RP in it... dont cry


Until then Ill use many other quality fluids out there that dont have as many reported possible issues.


Remember, pm me if you got a beef instead of trying to look big in front of the crowd.


*when I changed my diff fluid in my m3 (lsd) it was definitely not gold anymore... *
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
sproule905
6th Gear Member
 
sproule905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Landing
Posts: 1,328
^

one would think if one makes a statement such as "evidence" of failure they would provide such evidence.

You Sir, and not SIR, would make a lously lawyer..
__________________

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
SiR
Vtec just kicked in
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: TO
Posts: 2,722
here bro. Something to get you started...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=royal+purple+diff+failure

ps: this isnt a courtroom. And for the third time, you are free to run whatever fluid you want.
__________________
-||Old Crayons||-
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
BMW says these are lifetime fluids and never need to be changed. You'll notice that most people here will change them every now and then, for peace of mind.

When I first changed my diff fluid in my e36 from stock to RP, the stock fluid came out nice and golden, with no signs of debris at all. I could have left it in if I were daily driving it, but since it was going to be for track duty, I wanted to put something in that was a bit more heavy duty.
It will always come out looking clean, this is because there is no combustion occurring anywhere near it. In reality, there is no reason that 2 quarts of high quality full synthetic base gear oil can't last for 100k + but why chance it? Right now I have Redline in my diff and RP Synchromax in my tranny, but this weekend I'm switching to Shell 75W-140 and Shell D4 ATF in the trans to try to get rid of the LTW flywheel rattle and try to resolve my 2nd gear popout issue. Will likely change to Shell in the diff as well (I have access to it bulk).
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's

Last edited by Axxe; 11-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
Vrbovsky
pod stromom
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Sticks... London durring the day
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
here bro. Something to get you started...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=royal+purple+diff+failure

ps: this isnt a courtroom. And for the third time, you are free to run whatever fluid you want.
oh internet, you can prove anything!

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...ferential.html

and "SiR" for the record... I don't overly care about your incoherent child-like response that included such literal gems as "STFU" and "you got a beef with me?" All I was noticing is that a large percentage of your posts are antagonistic and rude, and that one can only hope a bit of self examination would soon occur.

No one doubts or rather, no one cares, how smart you are, but the presentation of your opinions is where you generally go very wrong. You say RP is linked to diff failure... ok good. Someone doubts that and asks for evidence... unleash the green Lou Farringo!!! Immediately you start name calling, "RP humpper". It is the flame wars that YOU start that end up wasting my time, lessening my enjoyment of this board and give misleading information to hobby mechanics like me. when someone comes here for information they want just that, information. Not bickering and egotistical one-upmanship. just think before you post or insult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lou-ferrigno-as-incredible-hulk.jpg (29.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Vrbovsky; 11-04-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Vrbovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.