Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

No Crank, No Start

So, I replaced the fuel pump in my 2001 330i as PM and after listening to ensure prime, went to start and nothing.

All the lights on the dash come on, fuel pump works as I'd expect it to, but starter doesn't crank.

Tried boosting the car to ensure it wasn't a battery that happened to die at the same time but no luck.

I checked the E-box fuses under the hood and they all check out.

Anyone have any ideas?
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

So...

Car was staring fine, pump died (so you assumed) and then you swapped in a new one now no start?

Start with basics, fuses, test for power at plug, fuel pressure at rail etc...

Be pretty weird if you developed an unrelated issue like starter or ignition during the time it took to swap the dead pump.

Did you try jumping it with a running car? Perhaps you had a weak battery to start, killed it while working on car and now so flat a simple boost may not do it.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Pump was fine, but replaced as PM. Better than being stuck at the side of the road ;-)

And yeah, very random that it won't crank. Completely unrelated to the pump replacement. The only thing I can think of is the hammering on the pump lock ring caused something to let go that was on the verge of going anyways.

And yeah, tried jumping with a running car. Battery is holding a charge at over 12 V and is only a year old.

Any fuses in particular? Starter if I'm not mistaken is wired directly to the battery, but I don't know much about the start signal circuit.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
blk3
5th Gear Member

Check to see you you get power at the trigger wire when cranking to start. If your main power and your trigger power are both there then you have a dead starter.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:08 AM   #5
jabela
5th Gear Member

If it's a manual gearbox, check the clutch pedal switch. Could be bad/flaky. That would prevent starter from cranking.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

I see so let's assume you had an issue with no crank that was unrelated to the pump.

Can you get it scanned? Crank sensor, starter, ignition etc Heck could even be a ground strap! .... I assume no hoist or way to give starter power and check strap?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
waz
1st Gear Newbie

did you check the fuses behind the glove box? Maybe you shorted something during repair and blew a fuse. fast/easy way is to just check connectivity with a multi-meter
waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

This is a great troubleshooting guide, try the steps here and report back.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Looks like my battery is just toast. It was working fine only an hour before changing the fuel pump, at least it's still under warranty.

Can't believe that I couldn't start (not even a click) the car after a 5 minute boost, but put the meter on it and waited until it hit 13.5 V today and started right up. Now if only I could figure out why I have a P0335 on a new crank sensor.... Already pulled and reinstalled without the seal to make sure I've got full engagement. Wires are continuous and I have 12 V, 5 V and ground when energized but engine not running.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Something similar happened to my touring.... Just got off the highway and went to check in at a hotel...come out...no crank... Turned out the battery terminal was loose...Gee I wonder who forgot to tighten that up???? Doh!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
So...

Did you try jumping it with a running car? Perhaps you had a weak battery to start, killed it while working on car and now so flat a simple boost may not do it.

What do ya know

Well you are at it get that multi meter and look at your charging once you install the new batt. jut to be sure
Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #12
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

It's a solid 14 V while on charge. I'm curious what the voltage will be when I troubleshoot some more next weekend. Lead acid batteries don't like vibration, so it's feasible the hammering caused a poorly made battery to fail.

I've got a lot of troubleshooting ahead of me to sort out the crank position sensor and battery. Looks like one of my O2 sensors is shot too, despite no codes being thrown (voltage is all over the place ). Anyone else have this many electrical issues with their E46?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Ok, so hold on...new battery solved the issue of start or no? Curious why you feel you need a CPS.

O2 sensors, do you mean the rear O2's once warm are showing data up and down, if so GOOD! The rears read the passing mixture and help it remain normal. For example if bouncing up and down they are asking for a leaning or richening of the mixture.

I am not 100% sure what the issue you see is with them.

Your voltage is correct, battery is charging!

What exactly are the issues now?

You have to remember you had a voltage issue so it is highly possible you will get codes for things regarding voltage. Simply erase those codes and with the new battery drive it and see what returns (is a "real" code) and not related to the dead battery episode.

Further depending on what the O2 code is exactly it may or may not even be the sensor, air/fuel trim codes or issues can cause the O2 sensor codes because they give up trying to compensate for the air/fuel issue.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-13-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

I'm waiting a week to see if the battery self discharges. If it does, I know it's bad and I'll replace it under warranty.

Starting issue was solved with a very long boost, but I had a CPS issue before I had the no-start issue (when the CPS fails, the ECU reads one of the two camshaft sensors). I replaced the CPS and still had the issue. Wiring is continuous and I have the right voltages and ground, but have yet to check the signal. I finished building a scope yesterday, so going to check the signal this weekend.

O2 sensor I noticed while I was scanning for codes. The voltage on 3 of 4 sensors is holding relatively steady with only minor variation, as one would expect. The fourth sensor is all over the place. It'll hit the same voltage as the 3 other sensors, but it's all over the place. Sometimes it drops off to 25%, then back to regular, then to 50%, then to zero. Oddly enough, however, there's no code other than the CPS (and yes, engine was at 97 C after a cold start, so I'd expect O2 sensors to be at operating temp).
Old 06-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Just off the top of my head but maybe the sensor (rear) that is adjusting is the working one and the other rear which holds more steady is the bad one (not adjusting). Just a thought... Can you see the actual mixture adaption for each bank, for example Bank 1 may read -2.56 and Bank 2 -3.45 etc. See if one particular bank is off or too high/low and see if that is the rear 02 showing stagnation. Not sure what your scanner is capable of.

As far as the battery goes, honestly my man you need to start with a GOOD battery, if the old battery charges up or barely then runs down fast, just replace it. Until then you may get odd behavior, jmo. Good Luck

As far as the CPS, sure you know this but be sure it is installed right, firmly and all the way IN, any backing off of that sensor will cause a similar issue. Also extended unsuccessful attempts to start can trigger it (rarely but possible) and as you stated wiring is important to check, if it is a bad signal some where have fun

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-13-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: