Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Might be swapping out of current set

Hey guys. I've been working a lot on my car lately. Looking at your car gets you used to it and things that originally you may have thought were ugly slowly become more acceptable to you. I do not see that as a good thing as as much as I love it...I don't really want my car to look like a trash bag to others.

I looked up that I have Style 42 rims on my car:

Firstly, are these considered ugly? Busy? I have no idea...I think they look alright once they're cleaned up - but my opinion is biased.

Secondly, what rims tend to fit nice and look great on the BMW? I don't really like style 5s. I do like more modern looking rims and I definetely want to stay away from ridiculously coloured ones. I want it to keep it tame but slightly out-standing.

I wish I had photos for you to judge, but I don't have any beauty shots of my car since it's dirty as hell becuase I've not washed it once in the 5 months that I've owned it. It's not being driven and I'm working on the body. That fender & that passenger door were both rusting...grinded it all away and sprayed it. Not satisfied with the clearcoat at all...orange peel and just plain crap. Dupont Nason doesn't cure nearly as hard as Chromaclear...going to respray sometime when it warms up again.

That said, they look like this currently:

Oh I guess I do have one "beauty" shot hahah...I love the way it looks. I wish there was a bumper which could take advantage of that wide angry look but still look...not ricer.

Last edited by limenuke; 10-20-2011 at 11:20 PM.
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Just go get some BBS and solve all your problems

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Style 42s are BBS wheels made under license for BMW....they are considered by some to be the best looking wheels available on an e36.

The following OEM wheels are also really nice depending on your taste (Feel free to look them up)
Style 32s especially in 17" size also look really nice on an e36

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1998_BMW_328i.JPG

The M3 rims are also really nice on a black e36 those will also pop - for example DSI (my personal favorite with the BMW Motorsports stamp in the center), DSIIs or contours all of which are fairly common but look really nice

If your going aftermarket - BBS LMs or RXs really nice as well.
ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Any reccomended rims that might have a bit of a lip /negative offset? I want a bit of a dish look if possible?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Quickid
3rd Gear Member

Those style 42s look good on your car.
Quickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

e36 M3 rims are by far the best looking rims on any e36 unless you want to spend some major cash on 17" BBS
Old 10-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Google returns different rims for "e36 m3 rims". Which set are you referring to?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
crxgsr
BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke View Post
Any reccomended rims that might have a bit of a lip /negative offset? I want a bit of a dish look if possible?
you can go with style 42 bolted.

crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

I have a set of staggered style 32's if your interested. 17x8 17x9 with new rubber.
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, it's not worth it for me to step up to the bolted. Little difference in look, high difference in terms of time for me to set everything up (Sell old rims, get new ones, transfer tires, etc).

I don't think I'd be interested in the 32s simply because they don't really stand out that much to me. They look nice but having a bit of a lip would be really cool.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

the e36 m3 came with 3 different styles of rims, all 3 have the nice lip on them. I like the contours and the LTWs the best
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Hmm. I will consider those.

By the way - is it worth it to even look at a set of rims which were painted by spraying? I would think that the heat from brakes and stuff would damage paint - not to mention I'm sure your wheels would suffer more debris damage than the other panels.... are most wheels finished with a special clear coat or powder coating or are they painted just like any other body panel (primer, paint, clear)?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: