Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Clutch Issue??

Hi All,

Just looking for some help on an issue I am having with my 328is, and I am not sure whats causing it. I am thinking it might be one of the slave cylinders and here is why.

1. Clutch has a very high engagement point, so much so that I have to move my entire leg because the engagement point is so high. (Hydraulic clutch cannot be adjusted)
2. Clutch does not slip, have tried multiple times on all kinds of launches

3. When the car is cold,
a) Have difficulty getting it into reverse and
b) On cold mornings like today, I have to clutch and de-clutch multiple times for it to go into gear - in particular when downshifting.

4. Just changed the clutch/ brake fluid to RBF600, could it be that this fluid takes longer to warm up and thats the issue?

Anyway hoping to hear some feedback on what you guys think the issue might be.

Thanks,
Ismail
ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
sproule905
6th Gear Member

mine does that sometimes in the cold, but I just think its the syncros. Mines a 99, but its never slipped out of gear. Just have to be patient when going from R to 1 when its cold.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response....

Thank you for the response, just want to get additional feedback if anyone else has had this issue, or how they resolved it.

Its quite embarrassing to stop at a stop sign/ traffic light and not be able to get started right away, because your sitting there double and triple clutching every morning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Are you a first time 5 speeder? try changing the oil - very inexpensive and might free up some of the stickies..

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

It could possibly be a weak clutch master cyl.

I am experiencing the same problem. Just swapped in a six speed and my clutch master cyl. is not properly sized yet. But the Getrag is also known to be notchy, so who knows.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
jeffrie
Addict

Think you need the 6 speed slave as well, sounds like it'd barly engaging the clutch making all gear changes difficult.
Simple slave cylinder leaking will do that OP, possible air in system if not leaking.
Pull up the carpet behind the clutch pedal if all oily the slave is leaking. Unfortunatly a common fault for BMW's in any year

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 10-18-2011 at 04:02 AM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
Are you a first time 5 speeder? try changing the oil - very inexpensive and might free up some of the stickies..
No, have owned 5 speed in almost everything I have owned prior to this Jettas, Corrollas, Mazda3s. Oil has already been changed in both tranny and clutch system.

Quote:
Think you need the 6 speed slave as well, sounds like it'd barly engaging the clutch making all gear changes difficult.
Simple slave cylinder leaking will do that OP, possible air in system if not leaking.
Pull up the carpet behind the clutch pedal if all oily the slave is leaking. Unfortunatly a common fault for BMW's in any year
Which 6 speed master/ slave cylinders will fit???? Will one out of an e46 fit or even an e90, and if so do you have the part numbers?

I was thinking it was one of those as well because the clutch doesn't slip, and now it seems its happening even after the car is warm that all shifts are difficult.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
ismail
2nd Gear Member

Btw....thanks for all the responses and help, much appreciated in trying to get to the bottom of this.

Will look at the slave first as that is the cheaper part.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail View Post
Which 6 speed master/ slave cylinders will fit???? Will one out of an e46 fit or even an e90, and if so do you have the part numbers?
I'm pretty sure that comment was for me. The Stock e36 M3 Master cyl is properly sized for the 6-speed when paired with the 325is slave cyl. I have the 325is master cyl right now. So it doesn’t feel right, and I actually had better feel with the stock 300k gearbox and clutch.

Ismail, you may be right, perhaps its the clutch slave and not the master.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: