Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
H4E
1st Gear Newbie

Question High Performance Driving Training?

The cost for the BMW High Performance Driving is kinda expensive. Has anyone done any training with these guys:

http://www.carcontrolschool.com/wordpress/
H4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

Never heard of them, what track do they use for their track days?

I would only ever do the Trillium Club school. $500.00, 2 days, 8 hours a day, in class instruction, lot's of track time at Mosport with a seasoned instructer, skidpad......

Can't beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Looks like they just use a parking lot.
325isdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Looks like they just use a parking lot.
The BMWCC Trillium club only uses the Powerade Centre parking lot for Autocross.

The Advance Driving Schools are held at Mosport.

Check out some of my pictures from the last ADS at mosport:
http://www.tdott.me/2011/09/event-co...m-ads-bmw.html

or pictures from the last autocross.
http://www.tdott.me/2011/09/event-co...autocross.html

Driving schools are done for the year, but there is one more autocross left, next weekend. Oct. 15th.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
pmittler
1st Gear Newbie

Hi folks. One of the reasons you have not heard of ILR Car Control Schools [even though Ian Law has been doing these programs for 20 years] is that up to now it has been a pasionate hobby for Ian and he has not been pro-actively promoting the schools. Mostly his students come from word of mouth. Ian writes weekly for Toronto Star Wheels and wheels.ca. The instructors are race car drivers. I am a recent addition to the organization and my job to to promote the availability of the schools. BMW Waterloo hired Ian's team last year to do a track day on the DDT at Mosport. We use the Brampton Powerade lot for Car Control Schools and the Auto-Slalom School. We use Mosport DDT for track days and a facility in Minden for the Winter Schools. Some people can not afford the time to take a two day course so ours are one-day. Two of the schools are advanced driver training and two are performance driving. Thanks for allowing me to respond. You will see more of us in the coming weeks but I will not cram this forum with self-serving posts. Our web site is quite thorough. Better driving is no accident. Cheers, Peter
pmittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Well said, although I am the V.P. of the BMW Club of Canada - Trillium chapter and hence have a vested interest in our schools, which cover the same ground but at a different venue. I do not, nor would I, take anything away from any other establishment trying to achieve the same goals as us. Help make better drivers out of all of us, make our roads safer, promote tracking rather than street racing and so on... Good to see you here Peter, and I hope to hear more!
John

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
cormier
6th Gear Member

The trillium ADSs are the way to go, and 500 isn't that much for two days at mosport -- especially with the design of the course and the amount of track time you get

You should come out to one next year and spectate, maybe catch a ride with an instructor

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I have done their course. Ian is highly recommended. He uses the powerade center for the course, as well as the DDT.

If you don't know how to instinctively correct a skid, then this and the DDT are probably a better place to start than the big track. While trillium does do some of this training it is not as in depth as Ian's course. At carcontrol you will get an instructor one on one while you are going through the exercises on the skidpad.

The only negative, and this applies to both Trillium and CarControl is they don't wet the course.

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

We've talked about getting a water truck out to our car control exercises to wet the course but like anything else it comes down to a cost issue. A water truck is $650/day at Mosport. For a non profit group such as Trillium that lost money at each event they held this year it becomes difficult. I will try next for 2012 to get one out, but we need at least 66 students at each event to cover the cost of being at the Mosport gp circuit and an additional $1300 cost for 2 days of water truck. And, if it rains, (which means you don't need them) you're still on the hook for it.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

The Trillium BMW club does a one day school at the DDT at the start of every summer
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong. I love the ADS course, however it depends on where you are with your driving. Learning to correct a skid on the big track is likely to be painful. If you are just getting started, the one on one instruction at the carcontrol course is a better use of your money. I did it once, I'll continue to go to the ADS now.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
pmittler
1st Gear Newbie

And therein lies the entire challenge for Ian Law as well. Picking venue dates and paying in advance and then not knowing for sure how many people will enroll [many drivers wait to watch the weather and don't want to come if it rains - contrary to the thinking here about having the wet to practice on]. Ian's business is *not* Not-For-Profit either. So my job is to increase the enrollment for each course past the break-even cost of venue rental, insurance, lunch and instructor costs. How? By eliminating the 'ILR CCS? Never heard of them!' Statements.

Your interest and your driving education might be well served by subscribing to Ian's e-newsletter "Ian's Laws for Better Driving" or watching the four minute video.

Better Driving is no Accident! Once again, thanks very much for allowing me to post on your forum. I am trying to keep it respectful and educational and not overly self-serving... a difficult tightrope.
pmittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmittler View Post
How? By eliminating the 'ILR CCS? Never heard of them!' Statements.
I might be able to help with that, I have a blog that I could add your info to. Let me know when ILR CCS 2012 dates are set.

Sent you a PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: