Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
mysticblue
1st Gear Newbie

2004 E60 530i electrical problems

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2004 530i E60. I purchased it about 2 years ago. On an intermittent basis (about 5 or 10 times a year) the power windows will start operating very slowly..thats my warning on whats to come..then shortly after the radio starts flashing on/off..control messages such as transmission fault...traction contol fault..check battery...alternator fault flash on and off. I then pull over and turn engine off. I try starting it immedietly and its completely dead..I wait about 15 min and it starts again...On other ocassions, I need a boost..but it does start and everything goes back to normal.
I checked the battery voltage and it was fine. I then purchased a battery from BMW later that year to see if that would rectify the problem. BMW then later diagnosed that it needed an alternator but I wasnt sold at that time.
This morning it happened again...even the climate contol fan stopped working..it was dead....All the contol messages appeared like I stated earlier...I could tell transmission was not alowing me to go normal speed. I continued to drive it to work about 10 min more...and I kept it running this time...everthing went back to normal...all the control messages erased and the car started with no problem Can someone please tell me if this is an alternator fault or something else before I bring it to BMW. I have had bad experiences with dealerships in the past so I have lost there trust.
Thanks
mysticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
hilux30
1st Gear Newbie

Sounds like you are having an intermittent charging issue, that translates into the alternator not doing it's job or could be the wiring/circuit that charge the battery, all must be checked too. When the charging voltage drops below spec then all electrical equipment go nuts, drive-train enters limp mode.
... there is Bavarian Motors in Markham and other good BMW shops no need for the dealer... good luck
hilux30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: