Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
WlodeK84
2nd Gear Member

Looking for a E39 530i or 540i (What should I know?)

Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a E39 as mentioned above. Can anyone tell me what I should look for. Also is the inline 6 a better option rather than the v8? If I could get some 2 cents in on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
WlodeK84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
buy mine

I have taken care of all big ticket items and have receipt to show,

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145937
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
WlodeK84
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
buy mine

I have taken care of all big ticket items and have receipt to show,

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145937
Nice Ride........but I'm need to do more research before I buy. Why are you Selling? since you've done all this work on it.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

This is like asking is the 540 better then the M5! Not if you have the $$$...

The only thing a 6 is better then an 8 is cost (gas, insurance MAYBE, parts, etc). Other then power, both cars are almost identical; the 530 might have a few less options, but nothing that cant be upgraded to 540 specs.

Best thing to do is test drive a few of both, and see if the extra cost is worth it for you.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WlodeK84 View Post
Nice Ride........but I'm need to do more research before I buy. Why are you Selling? since you've done all this work on it.
wife wanted car with more headroom so we got a MB b200.

whoever gets it, will have peace of mind as big ticket items taken care of.
Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
WlodeK84
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
This is like asking is the 540 better then the M5! Not if you have the $$$...

The only thing a 6 is better then an 8 is cost (gas, insurance MAYBE, parts, etc). Other then power, both cars are almost identical; the 530 might have a few less options, but nothing that cant be upgraded to 540 specs.

Best thing to do is test drive a few of both, and see if the extra cost is worth it for you.
I know what you mean about cost. But I should have been more specific. I heard that the v8 (not the M5 5.0L) is a headache if improperly maintained. I'm sure same goes for the 3.0L inlince 6.

What I would like to know is what are the issues of the issues of the 3.0L IL-6 vs the 4.4L V8. for someone that is on a budget and doesn't want to get stuck with a nightmare. I own a 2.5L 3 series and the motor has been amazing aside from waterpump and thermostat....and regular oil changes.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
WlodeK84
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
wife wanted car with more headroom so we got a MB b200.

whoever gets it, will have peace of mind as big ticket items taken care of.
Happy wife happy life.......lol. Any how like a said your car is great and I will keep it in mind. Though I am looking more for something with the M-package.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
I know what you mean about cost. But I should have been more specific. I heard that the v8 (not the M5 5.0L) is a headache if improperly maintained. I'm sure same goes for the 3.0L inlince 6.

What I would like to know is what are the issues of the issues of the 3.0L IL-6 vs the 4.4L V8. for someone that is on a budget and doesn't want to get stuck with a nightmare. I own a 2.5L 3 series and the motor has been amazing aside from waterpump and thermostat....and regular oil changes.
The 2.5 in your E36 is FAR more reliable then both 3.0 and 4.4 of the E39. More things go wrong, and it cost more to fix, great engines when they are maintained! (key word). The 3L burns oil at high Km, and will need the CCV done sooner then later, MAF's tend to go. The V8 has issues with timing chain/guides if neglected, and will fail! maniflold gaskets are common to go. Oil leaks, from many places. Newer watercooled alternatiors are expensive to replace, in the 4 digits! 540 clusters also will have to be replaces a lot sooner (missing pixels, not an issue with the 530). Auto trans goes way more then it should...not cheap to fix!

Other then that both have issues with ABS/traction module, only a matter of time before you have to do it, rear window regulators, door handles (both inner and outer), climate controls, cup holders, auxilary fans, rear springs. water valves. Hope this helps!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
WlodeK84
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
The 2.5 in your E36 is FAR more reliable then both 3.0 and 4.4 of the E39. More things go wrong, and it cost more to fix, great engines when they are maintained! (key word). The 3L burns oil at high Km, and will need the CCV done sooner then later, MAF's tend to go. The V8 has issues with timing chain/guides if neglected, and will fail! maniflold gaskets are common to go. Oil leaks, from many places. Newer watercooled alternatiors are expensive to replace, in the 4 digits! 540 clusters also will have to be replaces a lot sooner (missing pixels, not an issue with the 530). Auto trans goes way more then it should...not cheap to fix!

Other then that both have issues with ABS/traction module, only a matter of time before you have to do it, rear window regulators, door handles (both inner and outer), climate controls, cup holders, auxilary fans, rear springs. water valves. Hope this helps!
This is more like it.......Thanks Bro. So basically your shitting on my plate, I really appreciate the honesty and experience. What do you think Of the E30's or E34's. or should I just buy a Toyota. **** man I can't make a decision at this point what so ever. May be I should just keep my 325i and drive it to the ground.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
This is more like it.......Thanks Bro. So basically your shitting on my plate, I really appreciate the honesty and experience. What do you think Of the E30's or E34's. or should I just buy a Toyota. **** man I can't make a decision at this point what so ever. May be I should just keep my 325i and drive it to the ground.
lol DONT buy a Toyota! If you already drive a bimmer, chances are no Camry would ever do it for you! Just look for a car with a LOT of records, chances are those things i mentioned were already fixed. Even if not, you can save $$$ if you get them done before they become bigger issues (dont wait untill last minute, it always cost MUCH more!), ive seen customers stuck with $1000+ bill because they didnt change a $50 part (at the right time, even when they were told to!) Most things are DIY, with very basic tools, and just some dedication and love for the car!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
E36White
3rd Gear Member

agree with eurostyle...i just got an 02 530i back in march and the previous owner claimed he spent a decent coin on recent maintenance but my dumb ass was too whipped to care to ask for records..anyhow to make a long story short here is what I've done to it:

- transmission maintenance (brand new internal components, gaskets, and oil)
- water pump and rad
- front and rear tires
- tensioner pullies and belts
- complete brake job
- power steering pump hoses (2)
- valve cover gaskets and grommets; valve cover
- spark plugs
- crankcase breather valve
- engine mounts

and i still gotta replace the intake manifold adjuster valve and possibly the double vanos O-seals as well.

car currently has 102k miles and i believe most of the above is common but all in all, once i get on the highway and floor it; all that pain goes away that's the thing with BMWs!!!

for me, the inline-6 is pretty good for both city and highway driving. it's also a better engine overall than the 4.4 from what I read and heard (the higher power is offset by the heavier engine so u get a power-to-weight ratio similar to the I6 etc).

Last edited by E36White; 12-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.
E36White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36White View Post
...once i get on the highway and floor it; all that pain goes away that's the thing with BMWs!!!

for me, the inline-6 is pretty good for both city and highway driving. it's also a better engine overall than the 4.4 from what I read and heard (the higher power is offset by the heavier engine so u get a power-to-weight ratio similar to the I6 etc).
Congrates on finding your car but don't try to preach to the choir.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Daonhathai
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

Buying a BMW on budget, you're not going to walk away worry free (not to mention you want an M-sport. Only really issues I have experienced with having owned 3 BMWs is their cooling system sucks balls and is prone to some sort of failure.

Bought a 528i about month ago (with already $5400 worth of new parts in it shown on reciepts dating to 2008) for what I figured was a steal of a deal. However, the car didn't come without issues. I have replaced this far:
-headgasket + resurface
-both front ball joints
-both front shocks/springs
-rear right control arm
-waterpump
All setting me back around $2000-ish

Still, this alternative was cheaper than what was on the market and I now have piece of mind that almost everything is brand new or a couple years old.

Last edited by Daonhathai; 12-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Daonhathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36White View Post
and i still gotta replace the intake manifold adjuster valve and possibly the double vanos O-seals as well.
Do these suffer from vanos seal failures as well ? I would think newer engines should have these fixed?

FWIW, my mechanic told me 8's are more trouble, harder on suspension, harder on fuel.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
E36White
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Do these suffer from vanos seal failures as well ? I would think newer engines should have these fixed?

FWIW, my mechanic told me 8's are more trouble, harder on suspension, harder on fuel.
apparently the vanos seals were problematic across the board not only on specific engines..i still have a slightly shakey cold start so it seems like at this point with the symptoms, the seals are the only things left to replace (no faulty engine codes).
E36White is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: