Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
jabela
4th Gear Member

Formula SAE was awesome. I was on my school's team back in the day. I kind of wish I had put more effort into it and gone to work for a motorsports team, but I didn't know any better and our team didn't have much funding. The solar car team had a million dollar budget Would be awesome to be working for an F1 team now
Anyhow, here's more info http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #17
DIY
Permanently Dirty

My 3rd lap at the event ( holy crap this cars fun... As poorly tuned as it is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXZpA0Kkrc

Also on the grand prix track there were touring cars and a few E30's ill post pics as soon as I get em
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

That's awesome! How did you guys fair against your competition? You did some mighty fine driving there Mike. How much seat time do you have in that car? I'm guessing not much. Can you bring it to the autocross on the 15th?

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Why thank you sir! And we didn't do so hot, out of the 4 drivers I was the only one to do the track properly :S (they average the times)... By 3rd lap its 3rd lap ever lol, all that other autocross expirience , the other laps I didn't spin tho and I will try and get it out for the event! Well see what everyone else on the teams doin that day...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #20
DIY
Permanently Dirty

And by the car being poorly tuned currently I mean :

50/50 brake bias
Almost 0 front camber
No antiroll bar
0 toe
.... I won't get into reasons why its so bad, but it reminded me of a lambo, or the koningseg when on top gear they say its mad and will kill you
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #21
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Yeah, in the video it looked soooo twitchy. Did you guys have no time, or no budget? You can see it going from mild understeer to snap oversteer, to almost uncorrectable tail wagging at the hint of breathing on the throttle. It seemed like take it very gingerly through the turns, then get it pointed completely straight and then apply some, but not full throttle then brake gingerly, etc, etc. The brake bias at 50/50? Why? shouldn't it be more like 70/30 front/rear, especially for a car with that layout? What is the final weight distribution?

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Formula SAE was awesome. I was on my school's team back in the day.
+1 FSAE is what got me into racing.

I went to Carleton where it was part of the curriculum. Not much funding, so we had to get a bunch of sponsorship, but it was awesome.

We were at the competition at MIS in 2009 - It was the first year we made the design semi-finals, but one of our wheels sheered off in the endurance race so we didn't finish that event.

Really a great experience - if you have the opportunity to do it, DO IT!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #23
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
Yeah, in the video it looked soooo twitchy. Did you guys have no time, or no budget? You can see it going from mild understeer to snap oversteer, to almost uncorrectable tail wagging at the hint of breathing on the throttle. It seemed like take it very gingerly through the turns, then get it pointed completely straight and then apply some, but not full throttle then brake gingerly, etc, etc. The brake bias at 50/50? Why? shouldn't it be more like 70/30 front/rear, especially for a car with that layout? What is the final weight distribution?
Yah everythings fully adjustable it came down to time..
And the brake bias is soo off cause I was the first guy out, and was the luckey one to notice while driving :S...
As well the engine tune is good but when you cross from brakes to gas there's a dead spot then a surge of power, so its hard to find that smooth sweet spot
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
+1 FSAE is what got me into racing.

I went to Carleton where it was part of the curriculum. Not much funding, so we had to get a bunch of sponsorship, but it was awesome.

We were at the competition at MIS in 2009 - It was the first year we made the design semi-finals, but one of our wheels sheered off in the endurance race so we didn't finish that event.

Really a great experience - if you have the opportunity to do it, DO IT!
We don't get to do it as part of our projects, its extra caricular ... But our school does give us lots of funding, and as for sponsorship, me mostly get material for free... This competitions awesome

Did you get a job in motorsports??
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
sb_600
5th Gear Member

No i didn't but a bunch of my teamates did. I wanted to stay in Ottawa - but I'm working in an automotive field anyways so it's not so bad

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Also did fsae...same story. solar car got all the funds(wtf lame) shit in fact every student pays into it as part of tuition!!

yet we had to struggle to get sponsors on our own. pretty cheese. it was a lot of fun (and work) though.

Buddy of mine works for prodrive now! though he did go on to do his masters after undergrad.

automotive field is weak unless you get into a great motorsports company/team IMHO.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #27
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
heh.
designing and building a car from ground up is a huge feat to undertake especially since its all on your own time outside of regular course work.

getting the car complete is a feat in itself from project management to manufacturing etc...getting it set up amazing is on a whole new level. Any of the awesome teams typically have huge budgets...something majority of the Canadian Universities dont have.

The management of the entire project is a huge undertaking.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #28
sb_600
5th Gear Member

^Yup. We were competing against a couple European teams that had $200k+ budgets, and the students had been working on the car for 3-4years.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
DIY
Permanently Dirty

yah and most of them are masters students..... alot of teams are movin to carbon monocoque's... soon as bombardier lets us use their autoclave (LOL) im sure well try one day

I'm hopin to get into afermarket parts/touring car racing, well see how that goes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #30
sb_600
5th Gear Member

good luck dude!

I've found personally that keeping racing/motorsports as a hobby is better career-wise. My job (with the federal gov't) offers safety & stability, as well as flexibility to have fun on the side

I also started volunteering for a touring car team this summer (8Legs Racing - ScoTcH on the forums), which has been a blast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: