Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Warlet
1st Gear Newbie

Winter Tires - 2008 E92

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 2008 335i Coupe with Sports Package and am now trying to determine what my best bet is for the winter.

Current setup : 255/35/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front.

Should I drop down to 17 in rims and buy rims and tires? If so any recommendations?

Should I buy snows and just install them on my current stock rims?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, not sure what will give me the best winter driving experience while keeping costs as low as possible. Also I am in Vaughan so if you can point me to a tire shop with a knowledgeable staff I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Adam
Warlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
crxgsr
BMW

If you plan to keep the car for a while, yes, invest in a set of 17" rims & tires.

For winter, you're going to be looking at 225/45/17 all the way around. For the power of the 335i, I would suggest minimum H-rated, such as the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II, Dunlop Wintersport 3D, Yokohama W.Drive, etc...

If you want low cost, Hankook W300 icebear are on clearance.

I can help you out with any tire questions you may have.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Warlet
1st Gear Newbie

I do plan on keeping the car for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions crxgsr, you mention Hankook are on clearance. Do you work @ a tire shop? If so any chance you can give me some prices?

Secondly, the car as I am sure you're aware currently sits on run flats. Is there a spare available for the 335I that I can buy and just ride on non run flats during the winter to save a bit of coin?
Warlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
crxgsr
BMW

For a spare tire, You'll have to find one from an e46 330i or a e46 m3 (or buy from a dealer). Don't forget, you also need the jack, as well as the wrench.

Otherwise, buy a single 17" regular tire & rim and keep it in the trunk.

What I usually suggest is either doing the above mentioned, or getting something like CAA, but also keep a can of the tire sealant in the trunk for emergencies.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
VeetleViewer
1st Gear Newbie

@warlet:
check out simplytire's winter tire offerings for both RFt and non-RFT. cheapest RFT on 16-inch steelies is only $920. http://simplytire.com/winter/bmwpdf.pdf

they are also running a group buy on RFD, so if you join them you get extra discounts which takes you to sub-$900 for an RFT package... great deal eh?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2011-...ytire-1084634/
VeetleViewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: