Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #31
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
this. E39 540s will SKIN your 535 alive.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #32
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Ugh, perfect thread to check in on...

There is a high mileage touring I'm considering looking at, still short on the details since I'm not in the sellers area and relying on email to get the basics. It's coming up on 300k though, part of me just screams RUN AWAY, but it's a nicely optioned 2002 with 1 owner, who is selling because he got a 550. Figure he must have a thick stack of receipts to go with the car after 9 years, keeping my fingers crossed, as I still don't really know much about it.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
I hate to say it, but the list is pretty dead on...even missing a few things! Many of them are bad design, and maintaining it has nothing to do with it! (how do you take care of your cluster pixels so they dont burn out? or keep your 528i springs from snapping!?) The E34 was FAR more reliable, and the E32 is just a tank in comparison...Too bad they are all so outdated.
Come on it's common knowledge that newer cars are always better.

e32 outdated? Really? I think they have some nice features that still put some peice of crap korean and japanese cars to shame. But no... they don't have ipod docks or usb charge ports, or brakes that help you brake, or steering that helps you steer, or kevlar sticker wrapped dash trim.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #34
Prash
pimp slapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Engine is bullet proof and will take you well over 500K

However...everythign else on the car will break.

Outside door handles break off - no
Inside door handles break off - no
window regulators fail $$$ - no
cooling system fails - YES - installed zionsville rad. problem solved.
auxilary water pump fails - YES
valey pan gasket fails $$$ - no
valve cover gaskets - YES
cup holders break - Don't have any.
pixels dont work properly on the odometer - no
trunk rusts - Minor
hood rusts - no
front door rust - YES
power steering leaks - YES
rear main seal leaks $$$ - no
abs module failure $$$ - no
speed sensors - no
ignition switch - no
drive shaft hanger bearing - no
headlight adjusters - no
Crank Case Valve (CCV) - no
air bad sensor in the seat cracks $$$ - no
etc.. i could go on and on

stay away from E39 if you want my advice. Cars are too old and are prone for failures
you will dump alot of money into it and resale value is garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
and true...

Add to the list:
alternator changed (water cooled=mucho $) - YES
my car had one of the cats blow open
auto tranny was shifting VERY hard into 4th
Find an E34 540. They're much more reliable than the E39 540 and the 6spd swap on them is doable. I got 330Km on car - 255Km on alusil motor. Doesn't burn oil and runs like a champ.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #35
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Ugh, perfect thread to check in on...

There is a high mileage touring I'm considering looking at, still short on the details since I'm not in the sellers area and relying on email to get the basics. It's coming up on 300k though, part of me just screams RUN AWAY, but it's a nicely optioned 2002 with 1 owner, who is selling because he got a 550. Figure he must have a thick stack of receipts to go with the car after 9 years, keeping my fingers crossed, as I still don't really know much about it.
Go for it if its option to the tits and price is right, to last up to 300k, obviously the guys has been maintain it like a nazi and if you just follow the schedule, it'll last another 300k.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #36
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
Go for it if its option to the tits and price is right, to last up to 300k, obviously the guys has been maintain it like a nazi and if you just follow the schedule, it'll last another 300k.
Off the top of his head since he didn't have the paperwork in front of him:

- oil separator replaced last spring (seems like a big nightmare job $$$ if you aren't DIY'ing it)
- valve cover gaskets replaced last spring
- cooling system pump in the last 12 months
- radiator replaced 3 years ago
- transmission fluid 24 months ago
- windshield replaced 18 months ago from a stone chip

Would like to get a look at his file, but looks like it's worth a visit to check out. Didn't say much about any suspension work, I'll assume there are a few rattles here and there, I am also going to ask about the rear subframe bushings.

As a requirement for safety the left front control arm was replaced and discs/pads on the front replaced.

Last edited by jmack; 12-07-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #37
Mike e39
1st Gear Newbie

.... I have 1997 e39 - so 14 years old car. and there was only one rusty spot just beside BMW logo on trunk lid.

No rust prove ever made - BTW. i have a little dent on the hood just beside logo, and paint has chipped exposing bare metal. No rust ! whole hood is chipped as it is still originally painted and no rust what so ever...

BTW trunk lid is rusting due to paint rubbed off on the edge. - Don't slam trunk lid, so it won't be hitting bumper, than you won't complain of rusty trunk.

but truth. there is many well rusted e39s. find one in decent shape low km. from good hands and you will not have reasons to complain. remember this is not cheap car to maintain, so there is a lot of bitten ones on the market....

aux. air pomp don't apply to 97 - early 99 as there was no aux. pomp....

Last edited by Mike e39; 12-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Mike e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
Goodtohave
2nd Gear Member

I have had my 98 528 5 speed for 3 yrs . I had a 92 525 touring for over 10 yrs. i have found the e39 very reliable, similar to my e34 as far as problems, cooling system etc. The biggest problem as discussed is age. These are now old cars. I wanted anE34 540 but the idea of buying a 17 yr old car scares me too much. Not many parts last more then 17 yrs.

A buddy has a shop and he just changed the motor for the 3rd time IN A ROW on a 2003 540. All replacements covered by scrapyard warranty incl labour..so he made money .but the later 540 motors scare me.
Goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #39
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtohave View Post
...but the later 540 motors scare me.
... then from what I'v heard the the newer "N" engines in the newer 5 series cars should send you running for the hills. At least the coolant pipe in the e39 540 is easily and cheaply replaceble... in the new cars it is really expensive to do at the dealer and after market solution is cheaper but is still north of $500 for the part alone.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #40
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
this. E39 540s will SKIN your 535 alive.
of course, just like your sprinter will skin your sorry a$$ E36

Last edited by JINT; 12-22-2011 at 12:49 AM.
JINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #41
Mike e39
1st Gear Newbie

a big problem with used 4.4 v8 is timing chain, or mostly plastic guides. in some cars - not every one. it will not last longer than 200k km. In my opinion is due to service, and mainly cause wrong oil. when i was looking for 540 my main concern was quiet engine. and I've seen 01-02 models with rattling chain, puking oil from all gaskets and i've seen 97 - 98 nice and quiet.

so where is the problem ???
In my opinion is oil. how many people is servicing theirs 10 years old BMW at dealer or buys a proper high quality - nice if not higher than API SL oil at least 3 group stock.
bimmers runs at 105 C* - every one on this forum knows that. that requires a better oil than castrol gtx from crappy tire, and definitely not gtx 10w30 or similar. witch is mainly use in cheap garages, as only one oil for any car with any engine.

here is question: how many people has any idea about types of engine oil? What is worst how many so called " car mechanics" understand importance of proper engine oil in your bimmer, or in any high performance engine ??!! or any car...
and how many owners will take care of its own vehicle, and will not take it to first available BUTCHER SHOP, and change engine oil with filter for 30 $ ?.....

did you guys read your e39 manual ? if not look in to oil dedicated section, and see what API standard is require ??? ( not just recommended ! ) - for my 97 it is API SG. now go to let say c. tire and please find a SG oil....

just to let you know my 05 KTM 625 SMC had in manual written: use only motorex 10w50 syntmax - if i remember. ( btw SG class 4 group stock PAO )

when i bought it it had 12000 km on it - same year i had to repair cam shafts followers. - previous owner was filling bike with motul 5100, witch is API SM ...

my current rc51 also needs API SG fortunately i bought this bike when it was 5000 km on it so i have a chance to have less problems in the future due to simple wrong oil on wrong engine.......

.....so next time if some one will tell you that your 2001- almost 12 years old 540 200~ km. is piece of shit cause it has a timing chain noise or etc. think what was pouring into your engine for past few years......

Last edited by Mike e39; 12-22-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Mike e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #42
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
of course, just like your sprinter will skin your sorry a$$ E36

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges. How can you compare a 1.8L to a turbo 3.0L with 300 lbs of torque? u can't be for real.

btw, did you pay for your buddy's fender and corner light when you mashed it up at the meet/cruise? is that why you hate e36s?

Perhaps you shouldn't be making any kinda "pulls" on 540s, considering your spacial awareness.

Last edited by 5style; 12-22-2011 at 02:27 AM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #43
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges. How can you compare a 1.8L to a turbo 3.0L with 300 lbs of torque? u can't be for real.

btw, did you pay for your buddy's fender and corner light when you mashed it up at the meet/cruise? is that why you hate e36s?

Perhaps you shouldn't be making any kinda "pulls" on 540s, considering your spacial awareness.
yes i did fix my buddies E36, whats that have to do with 540's and my car? Perhaps you should filter your comments when you haven't got a clue about my car other than whats in my signature.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #44
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
yes i did fix my buddies E36, whats that have to do with 540's and my car? Perhaps you should filter your comments when you haven't got a clue about my car other than whats in my signature.
Because I am comparing e36s and sprinters to your car.

See, this is how your posts look.

Unless you have a s50b32 under the hood, you have nothing on a m62b40

Last edited by 5style; 12-22-2011 at 01:22 PM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #45
jmack
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to pull the oil pan on my Touring next oil that has 285k and see what is in the bottom. As far as I know the timing guides haven't been replaced, but the engine is very quiet on startup and operation. Perhaps it had regular oil changes throughout it's entire life.. we'll see.

The shop I was at today used Gulf oils exclusively, they were a a Audi/VW/Porsche euro garage, not a lot of people seem to use it on the forums though, not as popular as Mobil 1 or Castrol blends.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: