Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
CDN Roadster
1st Gear Newbie

E92 Daily Driver in Canada?

I'm looking for a straight answer from those in the know and thought this would be the best place to go.

I live in Alberta Canada and want to know if it is possible/advisable to drive one of these monsters year round. I have a "summer" car already but I really want an M3 as well. The only way I can pull this off with the wife is to get rid of the summer car or or replace my daily driver.

Thanks,
T
CDN Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Can a confident and skilled driver get by? yes, absolutely[with proper winter rubber]. Is it an ideal winter car? no.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Banned

There are people who cant get around a summer driving subaru and then there are those who drive a corolla with completely bald summer tires in the winter and are just fine.

Your question is plain stupid. And Im completely tired of people asking me how my car does on snow. And staring in disbelieve when get out of 2 feet of snow when my neighbor in his Hummer H2 cant even get out of his driveway.

Do you think BMW would make a car that is not supposed to be driven in snow and continue selling it?

E92 M3 aint no monster. Buy the car , buy a set of good winter tires and enjoy the car.

Last edited by new member; 09-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Monaco_N54
1st Gear Newbie

I DD My 335i year-round and I had 0 issues last winter. Is it a little more challenging to drive in winter? Yes. But with a set of snow tires you'll have no issues as long as you drive defensively.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

yeah it all depends how u drive...if ur heavy on the gas pedal all the time...then maybe its not a good idea getting an E92 M3 ... lol

if u drive according to the weather...and u have driven rear wheel drive cars in the wet / slippery condition then ya . sure why not. i love to see some nice bmws in the winter time too ~!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
torontoprost
1st Gear Newbie

I believe it snows in the fatherland
torontoprost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
uzi577
RUNING BOOST

On the contrary, every person who has offered an opinion lives in GTA.
but you have to remember that even if you are a good driver, you cannot compensate for not plowed roads,
and pat holes result of drastic temperature change. There is a reason why people choose a big V8(not necessarily agree with it,
V6 will do just fine) and 4x4 in that climate (pick up trucks).
Saying that I do however have a friend who runs a Honda Fit year round for couple of years now. So far so good.
uzi577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

Being RWD, these cars need Winter Tires.

... sure, people will say All Seasons are fine, but with BMW running 225 width tires and wider, you need snows. The car will be fine..... I don't drive just in the GTA, but all over.... where they get a lot of snow.

With the snows, the car is okay.

The Corolla drivers with bald summers tires is not fine. Highly risky, stupid..and should be automatically at fault if an accident occurs.

I always say, if you get hit in the winter time, take a picture of the other guys tires. Brand/Type and depth of thread.... it will go a long way to sticking the fault on them.

For the winter, I drive a 4x4 SUV or Pickup (with aggressive snow tires). Not the fluff AWD cars, but one with the 4Hi setting, where I can lock the centre diff. Since I'm outside the GTA often, that is the type of vehicle I'd choose for the winter. I've had AWD cars, and the 4x4 with a locking centre diff is the way to go....

Thinking of getting a new Ford F-150, FX4 4x4, or the Limited 4x4.... If that Toyota slides into me, I'm driving over that car... or through it

But, a BMW with snows is fine...

Last edited by MrRWD; 09-26-2011 at 06:59 PM.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
jon.e
2nd Gear Member

Yes. If my boss daily drives his 911 turbo all year round. You can definitely daily drive an e92 all year round. You live in alberta so u dont have to deal with salt. But just make sure u put snows on it and rust proof it every year in the spring. Your good to go, buy a 335ix and get some dinaan toys on there.
jon.e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi577 View Post
On the contrary, every person who has offered an opinion lives in GTA. *
Ahem.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
CDN Roadster
1st Gear Newbie

I agree that with the right tires it should be fine but I guess my concern is with some of the deeper stuff that we can get out here. The main roads are usually pretty good but it can take weeks for the city crews to get to the side roads and they can get really nasty. I left my all seasons on my G35x for my 1st winter with the car and it was okay, but I threw some decent winter tires on last season and it made a HUGE difference.
That said, based on some of your feedback, I'm starting to think a 335ix with some of those Dinan upgrades might be the perfect solution for my wants/needs.
Thanks for the feedback.
CDN Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

^^ yes i think ix series will be better suited for you.

im sure it snows way more in edmonton than waterloo, but when they didn't plow the side streets in waterloo, my 330ci with snow tires struggled very hard , yet my buddy's lexus IS250 ? with all seaosn tires ( the all wheel drive model ) plowed through the snow like its nothing...

( this was on a slight hill and had to push my car out )
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

^ Had the same experience in Waterloo and driving back to Toronto.
Even with my snows, when I got to that hill around cambridge, the SUV's and Audi's were passing me, and my BMW was struggling (With and without traction controll).... deep snow/ice....

Since I drive often in the nights or early morning, before the roads are cleaned, my daily is now a 4x4 with snows.

When you get snows, try to get 215 widths, or 205 widths.... it will be amazing in the snow... .even with cheap snows. 225's start to get too wide for snow duty....

Forget about performance snows.. get some real snows.
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
sproule905
6th Gear Member

I lived in Edmonton for 2 years and contest that their snow plowing is minimual compared to what the GTA gets. I ran Mich X-ice out there on my 328is and had zero issues. Although, out west they tend to use rocks and not a lot of sand where we use sand/salt.

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
If you don't have AWD, an LSD helps immensely. Otherwise you basically have 1-wheel drive when you get stuck.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: