Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Replaced Oil Sensor but Light Still On (E46)

For a few months now I've had my oil light come on after I shut the car off (usually only after I drove short distances, such as to the local bank or anywhere within ~7km). Recently (before I changed my sensor) I was getting my oil light while driving (usually always came on after a cold start, after driving for about ~8 minutes) and it would go away after about 10-15 minutes into my drive. I figured it wasn't a big deal (seemed like my was sensor crapping out) since my oil level was fine and I'd change my sensor when I was due for my next oil change.

Well I changed my oil and sensor over the weekend and all was fine for one day. Today after shutting the car off after a short drive I had my light come on.

What could the issue be? Obviously it isn't the sensor, and, my oil level is spot on and always has been (no leaks, no burning, etc.).

While changing the sensor, I took quick glance at my connectors and wires and everything seemed fine. Am I looking at a major engine issue here? What could it be?

P.S. - Engine runs fine, no smoke or anything of that sort, pulls and runs like from the day I got it. Car is an '04 325i, 93,000 KM. I changed the sensor with an OEM BMW sensor and have always used BMW 5w30 oil.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
MANDD
Autobahn East

Get the LCM/LKM updated with latest version software. Revision in tolerance parameters for E46, E53 and E39.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

You replace oil lvl sensor every oil chg ?
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
crxgsr
BMW

no, he had the issue before, and posted here on Max. Everyone told him to change the sensor, which now we know everyone is WRONG!
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Michel
6th Gear Member

is it the yellow oil light or red oil light?

if red, try changing the oil pressure sensor instead.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: